river yare fishing

hi there, im a very keen angler and been carp fishing at lakes for a couple of years now! well the thing is im looking to carp or bream fish and do a cuple of nights down my local rivers i live in thorpe and live near griffen marina and also river green are tese 2 any good spts or do anyone have any recomendations on where to set up for the night ? and catch bream aswell as catching a carp :D ???

also bait what would you use on river and also would you stick to margins or middle or snaggy areas let me know guys will be much appreciated ta

tight lines :):?:

Hi there, the bream won't be a problem! Just fish over a bit of bait and they won't be far away, i've had some huge nets of bream on the yare all around that area behind whittlingham broad. The carp might be abit more tricky!

Its all down to location location location. They tend to spawn aroung the areas you have mentioned so your in the right area prebaiting would be a good way to go.

Thorpe cut always seems to produce a few each year as well, where the yare goes into the cut is a good area, a guy a friend knew had a few fish there including a lump! I think the fish tend to head in there to get a bit of shelter when the rivers carrying some extra water.

For your help theres another link asking the same question look under river carping on carp on the yare.

Only other carp i've personally come into contact has been bramerton woods end, been snapped up a few times when bream fishing but they are few and far between, was a 31 lb mirror caught at rockland last year.

Have you thought about the wensum around the town, new mills yard?

some of my mates have fished new mills and had some great slabs, but as im only 15 years of age i like to bike and cast to be honnest mate, i live near to the river bend behind whitlingham lake thats where im going to go tommrow (saturday) ill go for the bream more than concentrating on carp...

as its a much easier approch...

aslo what bait would you use for the bream and what sort of set-up ? :D

cheers

TSCarpTalk...

Fair play, I would rather be outside the city myself. I've fished that bend were the banks steep down to the water a few times and had some good catches with a few well over 100lbs. Mind they have always been summer and autumn so not sure if the bream hole up there in the winter.

The way I always fish the yare when after bream is keep it simple. I kick of with 2 kilos of groundbait balled in which is, senses bream and brown crumb,small amount of fishmeal and then caster and small corn. Rigs are straight forward running rigs with open end feeders, start with a 16 hook to 2 1/2 hooklink and step it up if the fish are really having it, then it can be 4lb links to 12 hooks. If slow drop to 18 hooks.

Hook bait is double caster, redworm or bunches of maggots. In that swim I fish about 1/2 way across to avoid the dead lillies closer in and to hit the deeper channel. being winter I would drop down on the amount of groundbait, maybe just focus on going in on the feeder, recasting every 15mins if I haven't had a bite. The inportant thing is if there is colour in the river, if its really clear it will be hard work, if you could do after dark it might help.

I know bramerton does some big bream in the winter and lots of them especially after dark.

Yeah i tend to have a few sessions on the yare as a break from carping, was brought up fishing on there so always like having a go.

Hotspots? Well bramerton woods end where the sign for mooring is, half way along, theres abit of weed close in and the bream hang of the edge of it bout half way over, best i did in that swim was 160lb in an early morning session. Best spot is near surlingham, only one spot along there but an amazing spot, iv'e never not hauled down there, best was 57 fish all around 5 lbs with the biggest 9lb, so the otherside of 250lb in a night!

I quite fancy a go one of these days on thorpe cut after the carp if you head to the right of the cut as far as you can go where the boats can moore theres a deeper hole there which the fish hole up in, maybe the carp do to and theres always the boats on the far side that have been there for ages! Got to be worth a crack..

The carp in the Yare move a LONG way and can be very difficult to find as there is so much water for them to go into.

At Thorpe St. Andrew, almost opposite the Girls High school on Yarmouth Road is an housing estate that was built about 20years ago. At the back of that housing estate is (or was) a footbridge across to an old square marina with wooden staging and platforms. Very weedy in the middle, but it was where the carp used to go into spawn when the water warmed up.

Those carp have often worked their way down from as far upstream as New Mills Yard on the Wensum, or from as far upstream as they can get on the Yare into the marina. You are really going to have to spend a lot of time hoping, looking and fishing for the carp, but they do go to big weights.

I've seen carp sat underneath the staging by The Compleat Angler just sitting sunbathing, and lost a few on the Riverside road area around Carrow Road.

As for those bream, they can also do a moving act along the river. Thunder Lane they could be on the bends, or just as easily they could be down by Bramerton/Woods End, or Postwick.

• 5 months later...

Hello all, new member here.

I'm from Norwich and fished the rivers for 15+years.

I have been reading through the carp fishing around Norwich threads, hopefully I can give you some information and also get a few answers to some questions.

Regarding Carp fishing, I've had 2 out this year, a 17 3/4 lb and 24lb commons. Both of off Thorpe Road, over the railway bridge and to the river at Thorpe End.

The one major tip is to check the tides on Broads Authoritory website http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating/tide-tables.html

(be aware the tide shown is from Yarmouth, so add 4 hours on).

Fished the same stretch for years and when the tide was out we never had a bite and wondered why, until some old bloke told us one day, we listened and he was spot on. We usually pull out around 100lbs of bream in 3/4 hours but you must get the tide spot on.

Fish with a small PVA bag and sweetcorn / boilies on a hair rig. Always pre bait 2/3 days before (at high tide).

Hope this helps.

I have a few questions regarding the fishing down Thorpe Road.

Oposite the Townhouse (pub / resturaunt / carvery) there is an man made Island (known as Thorpe Island) which has alot of old sunken boats in and around it.

Does anyone know if this is private ?

And how to get to it ?

Cheers

I have a few questions regarding the fishing down Thorpe Road.

Oposite the Townhouse (pub / resturaunt / carvery) there is an man made Island (known as Thorpe Island) which has alot of old sunken boats in and around it.

Does anyone know if this is private ?

And how to get to it ?

At Thorpe St. Andrew, almost opposite the Girls High school on Yarmouth Road is an housing estate that was built about 20years ago. At the back of that housing estate is (or was) a footbridge across to an old square marina with wooden staging and platforms. Very weedy in the middle, but it was where the carp used to go into spawn when the water warmed up.

If it is still there, then you can get up past the old marina towards Thorpe Green, but unlikely that you can get to the New Cut over the other side as the railway line is fenced off and impassable.

I think that there are a few private houses on the island and a fair bit of it is fenced off, but also some open areas.

The only alternative to get onto Thorpe Island will be a boat. There is a launching stage suitable only for rowing or small outboard powered dinghys next to the Norwich city end of the green.

If it is still there, then you can get up past the old marina towards Thorpe Green, but unlikely that you can get to the New Cut over the other side as the railway line is fenced off and impassable.

I think that there are a few private houses on the island and a fair bit of it is fenced off, but also some open areas.

The only alternative to get onto Thorpe Island will be a boat. There is a launching stage suitable only for rowing or small outboard powered dinghys next to the Norwich city end of the green.

Thanks for the reply.

I know exactly where you mean, if you reach the railway crossing, walk along the railway 30yards (being careful of course) you will be on the island.