Albright knot

peg101

This looks like a great knot (v. small) but I lost a whole rig last week when this knot failed on the cast. I gave the knot a really good test before I used it, I had made a few big casts that day and there didn`t seem to be any problems on that cast - the mainline just didn`t follow the leader!

I did some playing around with it afterwards and found that if the coils of thinner line ride too far up the thicker line (i.e. away from the hook) a couple of coils of the thinner line can come off the thicker line onto the thinner liner allowing the thicker line to slip through the remaining coils of the knot. You can try this for yourself by teasing the coils furthest from the hook back towards the reel. Has anyone else had experienced a similar problem?

I tried a `nail` knot as well but could`t get the braid to bite on the leader and the leader just pulled straight through so I resorted to a double grinner knot which is a bit bigger that I would like. Any ideas on the nail knot or another knot for snag leader to braid? (I struggled to get the leader to coil instead of the braid on that side of a full blood knot)

The knot was joining a thick snag leader (60lb / 0,6mm) to braid (35lb / 0,12mm). The lead was a 4oz tournament lead. The rod / reel was a 12ft 3.5lb TC & big pit. There was a good 6 or 7 turns of the leader on the spool.

A leader knot on this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

Or this may be handy:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=449670#449670

The mono leader I put an overhand knot but don't pull it tight. Thread the thinner mono or braid through that loop in line, then up the leader I tie a Uni knot. Now pull the overhand loop tight, and gradually tighten down the Uni knot. I blob the tag ends with a lighter, just makes for a nicer tidier finish, and prevents the blobs pulling through.

• 2 months later...

I always use the Mahin knot for shockleaders. It's a great knot that allows both tag ends to face the same way (like the Albright) and is especially good for joining two dissimilar materials i.e. braid to nylon. Google it...