Romania

garyyogi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary

I'm a Romanian citizen currently living in Spain I was actually looking up some info about lakes around Alicante when I saw your post!

Tancabesti, much like many other venues, is a private water, and from what I hear a bit of a hassle as the bailiffs come every 30 minutes to check your bag. Costs 50 ron (about 14 euros/day), ...If you choose to stay closer to the restaurant, thats another 20 RON (6 euros), and a non-fishing companion: 10 ron (3 euros)Thats the cheapest one. There are several fisheries, I hear the most expensive one comes to about 700 euros/session Considering the fact that I in Alicante can go carpfishing near Alicante at about 10.50 euros / day and have up to around 50 lbs in a day...I'd say its a bit of a rip off...but then again you may have noticed that in other things in Romania by now...

It holds carp and catfish, but you take them only on a good day. Most of the times you will catch many, many of 300grams and under. It is also intesively fished, that's something to keep in mind when you choose your methods. You may or may not be aware, but fish in most of these ponds is being havily fed without warning, so you can sometimes cast for fish thats absolutely fed up with food. This along with fish harvesting, is one of the main complaints of fishermen in Romania.

If you know a bit of romanian, I suggest you go to www.pescuitul.ro, it holds a very good database of many of the fisheries around Bucharest with opinions from the people fishing.

Recently my dad had some good results from Moara Vlasiei 2. Last Sunday inspide of the cold he was able to land a 7 lbs common there, which, for winter in Romania, is not bad at all.

If you need more info I'd be glad to help, I know what is like to start fishing in a foreign country

Regards

Vlad

Forgot to say, boilies for bigger fish, sweet corn and "corn meal porridge cubes" or "mamaliga" (in America they call it polenta, as in spanish) for mid sizes, though bigger fish should not be a surpise on these either. This last one is a ...well, a porridge made of corn flower, thats reboilled after preparation until its hard enough to cut in cubes that won't fall off the hook. You can buy it already prepared in any market

Waters in Romania also hold grass carp, this can most often be caught on sweet corn on the bottom. This is one hell of fighter, often pulls line like there is no tomorrow and when you think you got it and get it closer to the net, will start again( It has appearently a special sensitivity to nets..)

Hi vladutz, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I've been away. Thank you for the very useful answer about Tancabesti. There does seem to be a problem with the bailliffs there, as I have heard this from others. I'm a little bit concerned about fishing on some of the other waters I've read about (not Sarulesti, I can't afford their prices!). Basically, my question is; How safe is it? Like most carpers, I have quite a lot of expensive tackle and don't want it nicked! I speak some Romanian but not fluently yet.

Gary

Hi Gary

I understand your concern. I have fished with my father for some 20 years, spending the night over and all and never got robbed. Generally speaking, if you visit some of the "top" waters (by top I mean most visited) such as Hagiesti, Moara Vlasiei, Peris, Buturugeni etc, nothing will happen to you, you can perfectly go on your own and spend the whole day fishing without a problem.

On other and less known waters, especially if they are near a village, try to go accompanied by a romanian, as most likely your equippment will atract the curiousity of the villagers, which at the most can be nagging but not robbing. But please do avoid by all means possible lakes near gipsy villages. You will recognize them by its inhabitans and the awfull state of their clay houses or caravans. I wouldn't even stop the car, simply make a U turn and go back :)

So not too many reasons to be worried, generally many of the lakes are quite far from villages, or at least one end/side of it will be, most of the times the only people passing by are shephards and the bailiffs.Its not uncommon for people to start chatting about fishing on a lake, but I think on these waters you wont even be bothered with that. Besides, in recent years many romanian fishermen have starting buying top brand equippment so especially on the more popular lakes I think yours will not outstand by much.

Let me know if you need any info.

Vlad

Hi Vlad,

thank you for all of the extremely useful information. I'll certainly try some of the lakes on your list (if I can find them!) and maybe I'll meet your dad on one of them! I have made some boilies of my own here and the advice on mammaliga and corn is also very much appreciated.

How is the fishing going in Alicante? I bet it is nice and warm for most of the year! Are you working over there, or did you rob a bank and retire :D

best wishes

Gary

Any time m8!

Wish I had the money to retire, but unfortunately, have to work.... :(

Far less fisheries out here than in Bucharest... but much much better weather, waters dont freeze, and there's good carping to be had all year around. To top it most waters are free (public), you just pay the yearly fee (about 8 euros-less than any tax around Bucharest -can you believe it?!) and that coveres the entire region of Costa Blanca

That's amazingly cheap, but what are the quality of the waters like? When I'm back in the UK, I pay £150 per year for membership of two small lakes which hold a small head of carp up to about 30lb or so, plus the rod licences, so Romania doesn't seem too expensive (other than Sarulesti, which sounds a real rip off).

What are you working at out there in the sunshine? I work in the british embassy here so my time for fishing is limited. I think my wife would also not be too keen on becoming a carp widow!

:lol:

regards

Gary

I work in the tourism industry (about the only industry in here).

Waters are largely unfished, the spanyards are big sea angling fans in this area so they barely touch the inland waters. These are mostly large reservoirs, which makes it very difficult to locate the fish, but with proper baiting and a fishfinder everything is possible. The average is at round 6-7 lbs, but if you dedicate yourself to it seriously (which I cant do due to work and familiy :D ), you can get fish over 20 lbs depending on the water. The quickest way to get a big one is to hire a guided fishing service...but that's for turists! :) I have my resident pride :D On others people get up to 120 lbs bags per day but mostly 4-6 lbs. There have to be much bigger fish, cause most have been populated with carp in the 70'es and as I said, nobody fishes for them. Except me and the english living here :)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello to all. I am a new member . I am from Moskow Russia. Is there anyone out there fishing in Romania (Constanta city)? I will stay in Constanta in may 2012 3 weeks wiht my frends. Any advice about lakes , baits, best spots etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mikhail.