Books for beginners

carping_on

evening gentlemen ( and ladies in this "pc" world ).

totally new to carp fishing. bought quite a nice second hand setup but havent had the chance to get out on the bank yet due to work commitments.

ive been down the magazine route, total carp etc and fair enough they have a few tips in but most of it is advertisements. id rather get my teeth into a good book that can help me on my way and give me some useful hints and tips.

if any of you guys could reccomend a few books etc id be very grateful indeed.

Guest keenook

Hi CO, not really an easy call as most Carp books are mainly stories about captures ect, maybe there are "how to" books out there but I have not read one! A classic read is Carp Fever by Kevin Maddocks, OK old now but still very relivant from a great Carp angler back then! It also depends on the type of waters you will fish, as they are all different, from big open gravel pits to small secluded estate pools, Jim Gibbinson has written some good stuff also! And then there is carp.com, you can ask as many questions as you like, and you will get good advice! So get posting and welcome to the forum!

I am bumping this one. Since I am the mother of blanks I was thinking I should perhaps start reading informative carp literature instead of novels during the lazy parts of my sessions.

Since there is so many people on this forum there surely must be more who have read a lot of books. In my country there is only one book about carp fishing ever made so I need to rely on brittish books.

Ive heard several mention fox book (as the one earlier in this thread).

Is there any more that really stands out as informative books?

What I dont want to read is books only mentioning there own equipment etc (you know, sales talk). Its purely tactics and "basics" Im after here.

Guest Anonymous

Cundiff's practical carp fishing is old but covers most aspects. I gave a copy to a mate for his son to read and he's finished it and is ready to send it to another needy angler.

I'll ask him (HarveyTom) and if he's still got it I'll get him to pm you for your address, the only thing I ask is that you do the same and pass it on when you're done.

Cundiff's practical carp fishing is old but covers most aspects. I gave a copy to a mate for his son to read and he's finished it and is ready to send it to another needy angler.

I'll ask him (HarveyTom) and if he's still got it I'll get him to pm you for your address, the only thing I ask is that you do the same and pass it on when you're done.

Yep,Thomas has finished the book and is ready to pass it on,he did enjoy reading it.Its a good book actually,covers most stuff without all the promo waffle(which Thomas hates).

As Stew has said,consider it a rotary book and either pass it on or pass it back when your done.

P.M on way

• 5 months later...

I guess that looking at online sources would be really great as you could read through a lot of them without spending a dough. And when you have found the one, you could always purchase a physical book when needed just so you could start on it as well.

Though ebooks have taken quite a reputation recently, I still prefer to use physical books at any day. I would like to be able to write notes on sides which really comes handy.