fishing at thorpness meare

Hi I am interested to know if anyone has ever fished thorpness meare recently, I have read conflicting stories regarding this man made lake, firstly it seams you can fish it for free from the northern bank, and i have read on more then 1 website there are carp up to 27lb in there but on the directory of venues on here it says carp around d 10lb and day ticket as i often holiday in this area i thought it might be worth fishing but I am not even certain you can!![/b]

the mere used to be very popular once, with a progessing stock of carp uptoo 27lb with quite a few high teens,tench to 9 lb, roach,eel's and then from no where it seems pike.

and then maybe 5 - 7 yr's ago during winter, the carp stock seemingly dissapeared, at the time there was different tales of the mere being drained for works and the carp being netted,dissapearing into the reserve, and some even found on the beach dead.

no body knows for sure what happened at the time but fishing declined from the gem of a fishery it was becomeing, and no one could find them, as far as im aware fishing is still free there with the exception of hiring a boat too fish out the back,and recently i heard a couple of carp had been spotted out the back but that could just be rumour.

• 11 years later...