fluorocarbon help

django

can someone tell me the difference between the the 100m spools of stuff like berkley vanish and the 20m spools of hooklink fluorocarbon like korda, they both say 100% fluorocarbon and seem to be the same except there is five times more on the berkley spool and its £1 cheaper, sorry if this is a stupid question and maybe i'm missing something obvious but i just cant see a difference :?

Mate, there are many items of Tackle that are exactly the same.

Manufactured in the same factory, but the Company who Buys them, Brands them and Prices them differently.

I can think of 4/5patterns of hooks that are the same hook, just different names go on the Packet, be it Nash, Carp-r-us, Korda, Gardner etc.

In fact Kamasan and Drennan Hooks are definitely the same factory.

Also the same with various Makes of Line. I think in Total there are 6 Line Manufactures in the World. Yet how many brands of Line?

Sylcast, Drennan, Maxima and Bayer all used to be Manufactured in the same place in Germany.

Ninghai, WeiHai and Ningbo, China, all 1 parent company, produce many of the Major Brands, Fox, Nash, etc

Bayer Perlon, produce Maxima, Drennan, Bayer, Sylcast and Daiwa (I think)

Yo-Zuri, many of the American lines

Shakespeare, USA

Guest Anonymous
thanks mate, explains why so many products seem to be the same, going to try the 15lb vanish and see how i get on with it :)

On that note, I used to use Fox Illusion 15lb mainline @ 0.36mm... I've just gone over to 'X Line' which is still 15lb Flouro but is only 0.31mm, quite a considerable difference & even noticeable to look at. Downside, it's £40 for 600m... well impressed with it though, very soft. :wink:

Guest Anonymous
ouch perhaps you shouldnt have pointed that out :lol:

Agreed I'm not happy cause I didn't checkout the price before I went to the show but I'm happier than the geezer at TONYS TACKLE will be when I see him at the next show in March :wink:

• 1 month later...
thanks mate, explains why so many products seem to be the same, going to try the 15lb vanish and see how i get on with it :)

On that note, I used to use Fox Illusion 15lb mainline @ 0.36mm... I've just gone over to 'X Line' which is still 15lb Flouro but is only 0.31mm, quite a considerable difference & even noticeable to look at. Downside, it's £40 for 600m... well impressed with it though, very soft. :wink:

From spending a lot of the last three seasons getting into lure fishing, I've used a number different brands of braid and have now started to ignore breaking strains and just look at the diameter and choose to that. I just feel that if a line is of less diameter for particular b/s then the line may not be that abrasive resistance or simply more prone to damage. (an example being my mate changing to that daiwa fine diameter camo line and constantly getting broken off on 14lb where he had not had a fish snap him up on 12lb sensor).

It's just a personal thing, snaggy/heavy weed .35mm mono, clear/lightly weedy water .30mm.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I've got some thinking to do :?

Dawia Infinity HT Line ? It's not a true flurocarbon, but a mono that is coated. I've been using since the beginning of last season and have found it very good.

The water I fish is as clear as tap water and I am paranoid about fishing spooking off the main line. Backleads and flying backleads are out of the question as the mussels are a problem, and this line seems a decent comprimise.

Possibly have a look at P-line Floroclear. Its a Mono Coated with Flourocarbon.

I got some at 5Lakes the other week, and I'm just playing and Testing it at the moment.

At the Show there were some rigs in a Tank of water with a Gravel Bed bottom (you know what I mean). The Line could not be seen under Fluorescent Light of the Hall. It has apparently no Memory, does not coil off the Spool as it is held on its side. It seems to knot well with a Uni Knot with very little Knot Crumple.

Just got to play with it a little more though.

There is a Direct Order website, PM me if you want details