sugar beet lakes, ipswich

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the Forum :D

Its ashame about what has happened to those Lake. I know that there are some lovely Fish in there.

From what I heard they were going Syndicate, until it was decided as to what was happening with the Site.

Problem is no-one knows how to join the Syndicate, and when or what is happening. The whole site is supposed to be Zoned for Housing and Industrial Estates!

• 2 weeks later...

the lakes r still there and full of fish but theres a bit of bother going on with them when they were sold 4 housing the old members asked to carry on fishing them which they were aloud if they kept an eye on the place fair but 1 member took it apon himself to charge others and put it in his pocket unfair as 4 the lakes they will become nature reserves when the houses r made i think there will still b fishing there how we go about it im finding out

• 2 years later...

Hi fella's i think i might have some answers for you.

The ponds: Yep the ponds are still there a bit weed choked and very overgrown especially the small tench pond and the big pond (front) and the lilys are starting to take over seriously.But the back lake is still pretty much the same fairly clear withe the odd few big weed beds.

The fish: Theres still loads of silver fish,tench,pike and a few carp left in the ponds even thoe alot of the carp have been removed by certain peole an moved to other places.Am aware of a few being taken to chantry park and aslo realeased into the gipping that runs beside it when the sugarbeet closed down. But know there are at least 15 individual fish from 12lb to 25lb4oz (common) mainly commons but a few nice mirrors in the (back pond) Im not realy sure of the stocking in the front pond am only aware of a couple of captures from there this is due to the amount of weed in this lake almost impossible to put a bottom bait out we usualy use this lake for piking of fishing for the tench.But have seen some big carp in the summer milling around the lilly beds.

The syndicate: There is a syndicate of sorts run by an x-member of the old sugarbeet club. I have met, fished an now joined this syndicate and found him and the other members to be good blokes with good ideas for the upkeep and conservation for the ponds and surrounding wildlife area. we are aware of the plans for the whole of the sugarbeet site and have been in contact with the organisation that own the site informing them of the syndicate also of proposed intentions we have for the ponds them selves. At this current time the syndicate is not looking for members as yet as it is still in a infantsy stage and there is still alot more red tape and things to be prepared etc. There are work parties on going threw the year so if you see us an want to lend a hand feel free this could be a way of getting to know members and maybe becoming 1 yourself in the future.

heres a link that will take you to Broadmeadows website the organisation thats developing this site. http://www.broadmeadow.co.uk/index.html

hope this has been some help.

hi mate just wondered if you could possibly tell me when the next work party may be? my dad used to work at the factory for bout 12 years and i used to fish the lakes frequently, would b realy nice to become part of it again, i have bailiffed for another large club in suffolk and have all my own tools for the job should u need any help with the work cheers mate

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, RizClarke said:

Hello,

Ive seen you comment on a few bits of ipswich chat, any chance you can comment on my other posts and get them lively?

How did you manage to walk around these lakes, over the old army bridge?

Reckon it would be worth a go still?

I had a secret entrance:wink:

Can't do it with a dog though, well not unless she can climb trees and walk along boughs:?

2 hours ago, RizClarke said:

Hahaha!

May have to have a look at the weekend!

Ever fished the ballast pit off bramford road?

That was at the back of a mates house, his garden backed onto it. Shame it got used as a rubbish tip!

17 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That was at the back of a mates house, his garden backed onto it. Shame it got used as a rubbish tip!

Oh really! Mates used to go down there, loads of tiny tench apparently!

Been asked to go Kates Hill this weekend so ill give that a go! Heard there is a golden orfe in the first pond, so that may be my target for the session!

• 3 months later...
On 09 February 2017 at 17:14, salokcinnodrog said:

I had a secret entrance:wink:

Can't do it with a dog though, well not unless she can climb trees and walk along boughs:?

Finally got time to take a stroll down to the sugar beet lakes and what a ghost town it is.

It seems there has been activity there recently with bags full of beer and night sticks.

So i thought id take a little travel rod and some maggots and have some fun, in which i did with about 100 roach to my name. But there was no sign of any decent fish in sight!!!!

Have you ever seen a half decent fish on your travels there?

The little pond looked intersting but i ran out of time, anything in there?