test

15chris15

Test as in how they look and behave underwater?

Or test as in how much strain they will take?

Whatever you learn from a tank/bucket may well be different out in the depths of the pond, there are too many variables. The weed may affect the behaviour of the hookbait, the depth may affect the buoyancy of a pop-up or the lakebed may "clog up" how a hook is taken in in relation to the bait.

In most cases the best rig is the most simple knotless knotted hook with a hair; usually a continuation of the hooklink material

The Palm or Over the Thumb Tests will only teach you what you think you want to know :wink: ;

That the hook goes in and will flip over or will drag into the fishes mouth. The real test is whether it produces fish on the bank. From that look at each hookhold and see if anything needs changing.

If the hook is at the extreme edge of the lips or you are getting hookpulls then lengthen the hair and/or rig length. If at the back of the mouth then shorten either or both.

If the hook is dead centre of the bottom lip then you have it pretty much spot on.

If you are testing for breaking strain, then simply tie your knots and put as much strain as you can on the knots, being careful NOT to hook yourself in the process.

I tie a knot in my hooklink be it at hook end or swivel/quick link and put the hook in the eye of a pair of forceps and pull as hard as I can. The swivel is then tied to the mainline and I do the same to that to check it.