So, now that we've had some rain...

admacdo

What do you think, chaps? Will the carp have shunted off the effects of the floods or does rain, mud, trees, cars and general bits of detritus in their habitat just make them more inquisitive?

We're booked in to see how things are on the 22nd of this month, providing the lake is cleared safe to fish after the semi treated sewerage from Queanbeyan has sluiced through the Capital's biggest lake.

Some spots on the lake offer v good Carp fishing after large rain events and others will be dead - the Carp don't hang around to get killed by black water events in my experience - and I sight Sullivans Creek as the example I've had experience with, they tend to disperse to quiet spots around the lake where there are no storm water outlets or tributaries running in.

Chris

I think that their supposed advantage with oxygen extraction from water (if it exists) might help them survive the conditions. There's already reports of big fish kills in South Oz. It may get worse as rotting vegetation gets into the water in big amounts. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Some guy caught a yellow belly of reasonable size on the flooded bowling greens of Captain's Flat. So I guess it just bought comfortable seating close to the water in some areas..

Apparently someone saw a Platypus investigating the water that was under the picnic area seats in Queanbeyan...

Sullivans is one of my fallback spots for some variety and now it's getting warmer, the Uni students that run along the path next to our spot have started wearing skimpier attire. So I think I'll have to test your theories on a purely scientific basis, of course Chris.

Yes Carp can tolerate very low levels of dissolved O2 (Goldfish can tolerate extremely low levels) but they'll generally get out of a raging torrent and find the slack water.

The Queanbeyan is full of Platypus you can usually spot them from the bridge in town, I always found Sullivans never fished very well after good rainfall and the only fish kill I've ever seen was a small one in the creek after the ANU campus was battered by that super cell hail storm a few years back, they always seem to vacate the creek within a matter of hours of a downpour.

I think the volume of hail and the sudden temperature change with it accounted for the small amount of fish killed in that one, the hail stones were golf ball size and 3 feet deep in places on the campus, they weren't the only things that got killed that night. :shock:

cheers,

Chris