The Riddings - Suitable for Disabled??

deant1982

Hello Carp.com. This is my 1st thread so please be gentle.

I go fishing as often as poss with my dad. He is an OAP, and also disabled (broken back). I know how much he loves his fishing, especially a nice lake with the usual "pretty scenery" and birds etc. I don't care, as long as the water is a bit of a challenge, and the rewards are decent fish. Having put together an inventory from Fisheries.co.uk we were intending to go to Barston lake at the weekend but it is fully booked on Sunday, so we will hopefully be going somewhere else. I am thinking maybe the Riddings on the specimen pool, but have a few questions regarding the place.

Is it suitable for a disabled angler (not wheelchair bound, but limited walking) so can we park near the peg. Max distance walkable 30yards.

Are the pegs ok for this type of angler? they need to be pretty firm, and of a half decent size?

Costs? Do they do a concession for disabled on the specimen pool?

Do you need to reserve the pegs, or is first come first serve?

What time do they open/close?

Any info would be a massive help!!

Thanks,

Dean

I go fishing as often as poss with my dad. He is an OAP, and also disabled (broken back). I know how much he loves his fishing, especially a nice lake with the usual "pretty scenery" and birds etc. I don't care, as long as the water is a bit of a challenge, and the rewards are decent fish. Having put together an inventory from Fisheries.co.uk we were intending to go to Barston lake at the weekend but it is fully booked on Sunday, so we will hopefully be going somewhere else. I am thinking maybe the Riddings on the specimen pool, but have a few questions regarding the place.

Is it suitable for a disabled angler (not wheelchair bound, but limited walking) so can we park near the peg. Max distance walkable 30yards.

Are the pegs ok for this type of angler? they need to be pretty firm, and of a half decent size?

Thanks,

Dean

Dean, firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, in your situation you'll find that Barston Lake will suit your Dad's needs far better than the Riddings.

At Barston you can drive to, and park behind, many of the swims. Also, the fishery is all on one level, unlike the Riddings. Midweek visit? Avoid the weekend contests.

Enjoy and please give your Dad my regards.

Ian

Thanks,

Dean

Dean, firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, in your situation you'll find that Barston Lake will suit your Dad's needs far better than the Riddings.

At Barston you can drive to, and park behind, many of the swims. Also, the fishery is all on one level, unlike the Riddings. Midweek visit? Avoid the weekend contests.

Enjoy and please give your Dad my regards.

Ian

Hi and thanks for the help.

Unfortunately Ian, Barston lakes is fully booked on Sunday. We were going there, but it is not a posibility now. Mid week is not an option unfortunately due to that annoying habit I have :wink:

The Riddings seems like a place he would be able to fish. The pegs need to be a bit level for his chair, and we would need to park near the pool, that is all. If anyone knows the distance from car park to pool, that would help.. :?:

Thanks.

Hello,

I often go to pool house farm -

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/poolhousefarm/index.htm

Speak to Cedric (the owner) he has a disabled peg or 2 and will allow the car right to the bankside to unload all your stuff etc and the peg is a properly paved with lots of room.

I've had many good days fishing there, although the fish are not huge they do make a good account of themselves once hooked and every other fish i find to be around the 9-10lb mark.

Hope this helps and that you both have a great days fishing.

Cheers

Matt

Hello,

I often go to pool house farm -

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/poolhousefarm/index.htm

Speak to Cedric (the owner) he has a disabled peg or 2 and will allow the car right to the bankside to unload all your stuff etc and the peg is a properly paved with lots of room.

I've had many good days fishing there, although the fish are not huge they do make a good account of themselves once hooked and every other fish i find to be around the 9-10lb mark.

Hope this helps and that you both have a great days fishing.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt.

Cheers for the info, but having had a look I'll give it a miss thanks. :wink: We both like going for decent fish, and whilst the sizes sound decent enough, I looked at the rules (no groundbait pellets, dog or cat food, nuts, tares, method feeders...) I'm surprised they allow those nasty hooks :wink:

I'll give the Riddings a ring later and post the answers here to see if it is suitable. If not, it'll be jubilee pools we go to.

Hi, The riddings is a nice looking place with some stonking fish in there but i wouldn't really say its suited for disabled anglers, pegs 1,2,3 are the shortest walk but its fairly hilly and very rocky so not the most stable grounds,

The costs are £12 for 3 rods, thats for everyone and yes you will need to book, And for sundays you will be VERY lucky to get 2 pegs together

I phoned them yesterday afternoon. The lady I spoke to was very helpful, and said they suitable for disabled, on pegs 1 - 4. We have booked pegs 1 and 2, so will be there on Sunday if anyone has any ideas bait/tactic wise. Rocky isn't a big issue, as long as it isn't climbing them a-la Daventry country park. The lady told me that they are flat pegs, very close to the car park etc. We'll give it a look when we get there, but if it isn't suitable, we'll go somewhere else. If the lady has mislead us just to try and fill the pool up (unlikely, but still not unheard of) then whether we've booked it or not we will leave without setting up. They can ban me for life for all I care if that is the case. Anyway, we'll have to see. Hopefully they were telling the truth and we will have a good day... :D

So....... We went on Sunday.

The place is ok disabled. Not brilliant but not inaccessable. We were on pegs 1 and 2, dad had 2 rods on peg 1 as it is a bit more open, I was on peg 2 with 3 rods. 5 rods, not a run all day. The bit that bothered me was how dad lost a cube of luncheon meat from a spiral hair rig, that was tucked into the feeder when I cast it the 10 yards out?? I'm thinking there as crayfish in the lake, as without even having a bite or touch??

We tried all kinds of baits, and still nothing. Boilies used were - Scopex, Tutti Fruiti. raspberry ripple, spicy sausage, monster tiger nut, octospice, white chocolate, strawberry. Also had hookbaits of worms, luncheon meat, pellets, corn. Nothing worked whatsoever. In fact , the only run I saw all day was one guy, on about peg 9, who then lost it. Don't know why the place was so unresponsive, but I would go back i think. My overall opinion is they need to remove the crayfish, and stock it with some more fish, because 100 fish in that size and depth lake is not enough.

Honerable lol to the brummie kid 2 pegs up from me that was (for some reason) using a bait boat to get his rigs in close to the island (that is about 30 yards out, and ended up getting it stuck (I think he beached it) and run out batteries trying to get it back! Maybe he needs to learn how to cast accurately. Haha, twonk!

I love peg 8.. I worked out that iv done 12 trips there for 25 fish, which is a great return..

Don't ignore the open water :P

Unfortunately, that peg is too far for the old man to walk to, so we're limited to pegs 1 and 2. Might get a barrow, and see if he can get any further with no weight on him. We both loved the place and said we would definately go back. If anyone has any advise for what the good baits are, they would be appreciated. I know there are answers above, but nothing worked last week, worms, pellet, boilies, meat. Am I missing something? Dad says he isn't bothered about catching as he just enjoys the day, but I want us both to get a fish or 2..

There's no magic bait, however it is a very tricky pool so dont go there expecting to catch all the time, either fish the open water over a light scattering of boilies or If your fishing against the islands/ margins you need to be very right against them, within inches

It's a lovely little place just not the easiest (as true specimen waters are usually like)