Water at Desford, Leics

I used to fish a water in Desford in Leicestershire (just after the railway crossing, after the pub), went back to fish it one Saturday last year and waited for nearly an hour for the gates to be unlocked, no answer on the phone either, so went elsewhere... Been past the entrance twice over the last 3 weeks and the gates been closed/locked both times.

Anyone know what's going on there? Have they packed it in?

location and directions fit, must be the same place...

I have happy memories of it as both my father-in-law and I had PB's from there, on the same day, that stood for ages (only 12 or 13lb mind you!!). You could say that it was there that got my started on carp fishing "proper".

Have you got the phone number as the one I have is dead?

The biggest I have personal witnessed was 13lb something...

But this is going back a good 4 or 5 years. There was talk of a twenty, and I think that's believable, but I would guess the average (now, assuming growth etc) is probably around the 10lb mark now.

It isn't a heavily stocked water, and not actively marketed (therefore never very busy), which (too me) added to the appeal :wink:

It's a small and intimate venue, very natural and nothing artificial...

I ought to caveat the above with the fact I haven't set foot on the bank there for 4 or 5 years.

• 8 months later...

Hi all, ive fished this place in desford for about 3 years now.

There is nothing on the internet about this place, and thats why i love it, you can turn up and chose a peg with no problem.

Ive seen a few people aski about the size of the fish in there and there of a decent size. I night fished last weekend and had a great session. 22lb was the biggest followed by a 19lb and a 18lb. Ive been told that they go upto 24lb in there. Also as i said ive fished it for a while and anyone that has fished it would have seen the 2 Beautiful white Koi carp in there. one at 9lb and the other at 7lb, also a red Koi at about 7 also, ive caught the white Koi at 7lb a few times now and what a nice fish it is.

If anyone has any questions about the place i would have no problem explaining a few things to you. Please come down and enjoy the place with me :D

nah no 15lb koi in there.

I went for 3 nights again on thursday. had the 9.5lb red koi out. It was a good session with about 15 carp all between 8-15lb. Getting very fished atm though too many people seem to know about the place now. Surface fishingit is great but there getting too use to it now :(