Horseshoes Lake, Gloucs...????

Hi, im about to go on a 3 night session on the famous Horseshoe Lake in Gloucester.

Now ive heard that it is a very difficult place to catch big carp!!! :cry:

Does anyone know what my best methods of approach would be? I have heard it is a bit weedy on the lake bed, but just how weedy is it??? And what is the best areas on the lake to tackle...... Summer Bay etc??

cheers Ricco

• 1 month later...

Horseshoe isn't expensive - has to be one of the best priced day-ticket venues around at £20 for 24hrs - for the stock of fish in it?

I fished it a couple of weeks ago - the same weekend of the CCMoore event. Think the only fish caught came from Winter Bay. I lost one in Summer Bay. The weed is pretty heavy in there - and there were a lot of swims closed because of the weed (and more because of the CCMoore event).

Were told it'd been fishing really badly for a few weeks since spawning. When we went we rang the office and they were very helpful with latest info.

Horseshoe do there own DVD called Horseshoe Dreams, which is a very good in depth look at the lake and some of the tactics used to catch Carp there.

Summer bay has lots of weed, but the carp do reside in there and i found casting pva bags into the weed just off the clear spots that you can see works very well, as does the margins.

Winter bay can also be very good and various methods work there.

As already mentioned have a good look around first, this might take a few hours, but this will be well worth it... (short time spent in the right peg versus long time in the wrong peg)

Plus ask the team across there, always willing to help and put you in the right areas..

Best of luck... Have many a tight line...