Back leads

carpmandan

be minful of what is between the rod tip and the rig when back leading. the diagram given by trees gives an ideal situation when to use a back lead. also good for close margin fiching

imagine if you had a thick weed bed in the middle it is likely the back lead would be doing more harm than bood. you will have more angles in your line causing reduced bit indication and alot of line will still be off the bottom. the same applies to large gravel bars. you risk a break if a hard take pulls your pinned down line accress the bar.

i have also had a take where the fish moved left to right with the backlead acting as a hinge no bleeps on the alarm i noticed the line moving. it was only a high single carp but food for thought.

try flying back leads in the situations i have mentioned they are a weight that starts at the end of your rig tube/lead core/leader and when you cast they move back up the line pinning a bit more down.