Holwell Hyde Welwyn Garden City - Improvements, cctv, Loos

Hi guys and girls i posted on here a few days ago for some info on this venue. I visited it yesterday and had a big walk around.

As soon as i got into the carpark i saw immediate improvements have been made at the top of the carpark there is a noticeable wooden pole present that is riged with a few cameras that will hopefully keep an eye on cars and stop the flytipers. Also present in the carpark is a nice clean portaloo.

Price wise from chating to locals i am told its now £6 per rod for an adult daytimes and £15 a night but nights must be pre booked by calling first.

So the lake itself there were only three guys on there so very quiet and i am told by one guy its very easy to get nigyt booked at the moment and even days at the weekends.

I am told its still fishing very slowly one guy had done 24 hours and nothing. I did see one fish only a small carp crash out the middle not far from the main island along the gravel pit area. The water level is very very high and the only way the entire lake is wellies or treading very careful as the water is right int the beach at the far end. It muddy in a few places but generally not to bad it appears quite a bit of effort has been made with gravel etc. Sadly the pier that used to go out into the water is gone (this had gone long before my last visit), however the trees each side of the pier are now gone too but these looked like they needed cutting down last time i was there so certainly neccessary. I climbed a few hills looking for the fish and i saw a few signs but not a lot the water is very coloured. I know people have tried zig rigs, maggots etc to try get the fish on the feed but none seam to be having too much effect.

I decided i am going to get a lil fishing in here in the next week so will let people know how i get on. I shall be visiting for a lil more info and research and seeing if i can locate the fish before the sesion as well as watching the weather to see how long this mild spell will last.

It will be me getting back into fishing after two years out.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes it been fishing well. Lots of big bream to around 9lb and I've have plenty of carp on the pole to over 20lb. Plenty of fish to expander pellet which seems the favoured bait although had quite a few carp to meat and casters.

Not much activity on the top when I went a couple of week ago.

Plenty of carp being caught using match tactics long pole with catmeat.

Will update you more tomorrow.

• 7 months later...