Huntstreet Lakes

Hi there fellow carpers!!

I started to fish for carp last year and found my first season very up and down. Learning along the way confidence built and eventually managed to catch a few biggins the biggest 4oz short of the magic 20!! Im so desperate to catch one iv just joined a new lake called Huntstreet. It boasts a large amount of 20s and a couple of 30s. Doing a five day stint down there this comin week but night fishing isnt permitted so what should i do? Stay in same swim all week??? Bait up end of every day? Its very silty apparently so would a helicopter rig be most effective? Any info would be greatly recieved!

Thanks in anticipation......

Hunstrete is the right spelling for a start :)

I have fished there but quite a few years ago. I know some of the guys fishing there now and the silt is not a problem at all. Its not that deep that leads and rigs sink into it so don't worry about that.

It does hold quite a few 20s and there maybe one 30lber in there. I say maybe cos there are question marks over how the fish was weighed. I heard it went 29lb 15....... the bloke who caught it claimed a weight of 30lb and ounces. Either way, its a nice fish and I would be happy to catch it at any size.

Tips I can offer....... hmmmm where to start :)

I would guess the pads are maybe just starting to shoot up from the lake bed. Have you dragged a lead and felt the roots?

One good swim where fish used to hang out this time of year was the double swim on the left hand bank.

Also, don't ignore the very top end of the lake. Most cant be bothered to walk that far but there used to be a coupl of nice over hanging trees to cast to from the left hand bank again.

If the wind is pushing towards the carp park, then I would try the swim next to the toilet. Always turned up a fish or two on the right wind.

Bait wise, try get onto a good quality fishmeal. There was a couple of brothers that really filled the place in with fishmeal baits a couple of years back and they caught very well indead! From what I hear, fishmeals are still the dominant and going bait :wink:

That should keep you going for starters :D

Let me know how you got on today.

Good Luck for the rest of the week :)

ps. dont be put off if the weather turns a bit colder, like it is due to. It used to fish really well in cold conditions. These brothers I mentioned only used to fish winters and emptied the place

Hi there. Thank you for ur tips!!! i wil try and implement them tommorrow.

Well i blanked again today fishing opposite the double swim on the left you mentioned. Funnily enough the swim you mentioned produced two fish one tench and a mid double. We were told about serveral blood worm patches this ring any bells???

The swim i fished was very clear without any of the lilly pad roots but 8feet to the left and 10 to the right they were present.

Would fishing directly on these be more profitable than the clear patches.

Im stil very new to this game but enjoying the learning curve im just waiting to get that first creaming run!!

I also spoke to a guy from bristol today who claimed he caught a 29 10oz in feb so im guessing that would be the mystical 30!!!??

Will keep u posted thanks for the help!!!

You have to be careful of those pad roots. Your line can get caught under them and cause problems. I have not heard of any specific bloodworm patches but if you come across bloodworm stuck to your lead, I would fish this spot for sure :wink:

Make sure you get there really early in the morning too and stay as long as you are allowed. A lot of fish get caught just before dark from memory :)

If I was still fishing it, I would stick one rod out over a good bit of bait and the other rod fished to a different spot with a large pva bag of pellet and chopped boilie :wink: Thats what used to work for me but like I said that was quite a few years ago now. Keep me posted and better luck tomorrow :)

Well after some long days without a touch today finally provided me with a fish. I didnt manage the carp i craved but caught a 7lb tench. My friend also had a 7lb tench and a 12lb mirror. Its been a tough week but atleast i had some response to my methods.

Which brings me to the advise i recieved. I tried to fish the double swim everyday but was always taken when we arrived at 6am! Today was the first day and we caught fish on PVA bags with chopped bollie and pellet with single bollie hookbaits. So your advise was spot on!!!!

Back to work now but back again on wed and thurs!!!

Next time ill get the carp!!!!

Oh just if your interested blush was caught on wed evening weighing 29lb 10.

thanks alot tight lines

Guest rob1988

Was looking on the site and noticed what you had siad about your session on the 4th of April. I was the guy in the left hand double then. I had a four pound tench, A 17lb carp and after you left a 21lb carp. I noticed you left very early that day, This might have been a mistake because later on inbetween our swims fish were topping all over the place. I had my twenty one around seven. All the fish came on the same rod which was fishing a hard spot in the silt. I spodded alot of bait as you will have noticed because i thaught the fish would be getting their heads. I put out hemp and fished maiz.

Ps: There aint no blood worm patches any more. There use to be about two or three years age but it is a thing of the past.

Guest Anonymous

on day only waters try to use washed out baits, have used these to good effect on other day waters in the past, the carp think they are safe baits also fish the obvious feeding spells ie early morning and late evening dont pack up and leave early leave the rods out on the deck as you pack up, quite often the rod will go at the bitter death.

Nice one prepee :wink: I'm glad the tips were of some use :) Keep at it and if you want to get the first pick of the swims you need to get there a bit earlier I reckon :wink:

The bloodwrom bed thing is a funny one. I remember being told by someone that was fishing Hunstrete at the time, that bloodworm beds move around constantly anyway. There will still be bloodwrom on the lake bed for sure. Just look at all the hatches over the next few weeks if it stays warm. Can anyone confirm this about bloodworm patches moving? I have always wondered if this was right :confused:

Just out of interest, does anyone ever fish the swim by the bridge anymore?

• 3 years later...