A flick of the tale - Dave Lane

hnv

I got this book for Christmas and read it cover to cover in three sittings!

A fantastic read and truly inspirational. The chapters on Colnemere and the black mirror are absolutely gripping, you know what's coming due to Dave's published results but that doesn't spoil the excitement as you read into the world of these large, daunting venues that are sprinkled with a few historic carp.

Dave Lane's writing is littered with humour and a great sense of the tragedy that some times arises in carp fishing. The effort that he puts into his fishing is astounding and a lesson to all.

I did really love the book but there are a few "niggles". It has to be said, I am not a fan of the font/typeface used although I did get used to it eventually. Also, the book lacked detail in places, particularly with regard to describing some of the other waters as opposed to the Mere (when compared to the level of detail used in "an obsession with carp").

The photographs used (many as full-page plates) are also stunning throughout the book.

On the whole, a great book. Highly recommended.

• 4 years later...