Welsh carp fisherman

drbs

Hello all,

Hoping to emigrate to the Gold Coast region Jan 2013. I've been fishing for carp most of my life and have no intension of stopping when we make the move. We're trying to find work around Burleigh waters. I was wondering what the fishing was like around there and if poor how far a field would I need to go??

Cheers Dave (welsh boy)

I'm not sure mate. I don't think I worded the last post right. I don't live in oz. god I wish I did. I have visited but never fished there. from what I gather on here there are mixed views about carp fishing in oz as they are seen as pests. however don't quote me on that I'm sure someone will explain better. sorry I couldn't help.

Dave

I'm not sure mate. I don't think I worded the last post right. I don't live in oz. god I wish I did. I have visited but never fished there. from what I gather on here there are mixed views about carp fishing in oz as they are seen as pests. however don't quote me on that I'm sure someone will explain better. sorry I couldn't help.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Guest theycallmebruce

Hello Dave,

Ive been through this one so felt I was well qualified to reply to your text. I lived near Murwillumbah in Northern NSW a few years back and desperately looked for some enjoyable carp fishing.

Your nearest carp water would be the Logan or Albert River, Ive never fished it, it never appealed, its either really hard to get to or its absolutely trashed by too many trying to fish it. Be warned Queensland DPI (Fisheries) take a dim view of putting Carp back in the water. Big fines.

NSW Fisheries have a much more realistic attitude to returning Carp to the water, they dont openly advertise the fact but its quite legal to return them. There is a shoal of Koi Carp in the Tweed River above the weir at Bray Park, there are some quality fish for Australia in the shoal but it can be hard to fish due to weed and the shoal can be hard to find.

If you move south to Ballina area there are Koi in the Richmond, they can be hard to find too. I use to fish the Bungawalbin Creek near Coraki and catch the odd Carp. On corn I was catching about 20 turtles to every Carp. The Richmond is tidal and suffers from acid sulphate problems so the Carp move around alot and can be difficult to find.

When I was around that area and needed a serious Carp fix I use to head to Chaffey Dam near Tamworth. From West Burleigh it would be probably 8 hours drive but there are no shortage of Carp there. My biggest was 17lbs but Ive heard of way bigger.

My wife and I are in the process of working out where to next and Carp Fishing potential is driving my side of the discussion. Im trying to convince her about Canberra, there are some magnificent Carp there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it might be worth looking from Newcastle southwards for enjoyable Carpfishing. Bruce