Lakeview, Cornwall

Hi all, first post on the forum.

There is very little written about Lakeview Country Club, Cornwall on the net so thought i would add my thoughts as i have been fishing here for best part of 20 years.

Brief History: When the Country Club first open it was a leading place for fishing, food and accommodation, with three lake, long island, Moorland, and the specimen Lake. offering anything from tiddler bashing through to the lumps found in the well designed specimen lake (not Moorland) the one hid away behind the club house, which I was lucky enough to see it when it was drained, it showed the work that had gone into digging, with gullies, bars, plateau’s, deep holes, marginal shelfs etc.

The Lakeview Country Club complex featured on the front page of the Angling Times year book and a review written by Paul Gascoigne who apparently was a regular there, it was a much better fishery than White Acres a few mile down the road.

Unfortunately the then specimen pit, which was set back behind the club house and could be accessed by car, had many of its very large Carp stolen. It was decided to empty the remaining fish and drain the lake. This was some 10-15 years ago and it sat waterless until recently and has now been re filled and is the most gorgeous lake i have fished in a long time, but the stock in here is now apparently small carp and many silver fish, but a beautiful place to fish.

Long Island and Moorland lakes, 10 or so years ago (before current ownership) offered fantastic fishing, moorland always holding the large fish (biggest i had was a 19 pound Ghostie) but had seen pictures of 20’s, although there was plenty of smaller ones here. Long Island was the match lake with large bags always possible in the 100lbs. I heard a rumour that when the complex feel into new management a lot of the large carp, including Ghostie’s were netted and sold on, the pollution issue that i have read about, never really happened.

So Present day: Both Long Island and Moorland fish extremely well and are gorgeous, i still have not blanked during the warmer months on either. I’ll start with :

Long Island Lake, All baits work well here especially Pellet and/or Meat fished close to margins and island. I have had many warm summer evening walking around stalking my pray. There is a bush on the left hand side of the island (as you look from the stream) that has a very deep margin, best spot on the lake. Stock levels i am unsure about, plenty of smaller carp, ghosties and koi all fight hard especially the Ghosties. Ranging up to mid doubles with a few larger fish dotted around, plenty of silver fish about with a handful of Tench too. Access to the right hand side of the lake is perfect for wheel chairs with concrete platforms. The left hand side is a little more wildish!!!!!!

Moorland Lake, The Lake is relatively small with the shallow end on the right as you look at it, because of its size realistically you would only want 6 people on it, any more than that, then it would be a trip to Long Island. But it is this lake i always end up fishing, as there are plenty of larger fish in here, you just have to get through the smaller carp and bream.

In recent years i have had fish to 19 pound but have seen bigger, there are a lot of 8-12lbs fish in here that make it fun, but a pain if you are trying for the larger fish, all beautiful golden fish.

Bait wise, i have always had plenty of good sport using trout pellets, and large pellet hookbait or meat. Cast out a bag full of pellets and they will fizz instantly, but bream not carp!!!! So you need plenty of pellets to feed them off.

For the bigger fish Boilies work best has they cannot be hovered up by the small bream (not sure if you are allowed to use them) strawberry always produces, put 10-20 baits out and a stringer of 3 or 4. This has produces the best result for me with most fish being mid to high doubles.

Anywhere on the lake produces, just bait up where you are fishing and wait for them as they are very mobile. You must be quiet as they are spooked very very easily, the amount of times i have been fishing and Mr Numpty turns up with his rubber mallet, it has killed the fishing on the whole lake for many hours after the eventful malleting (at least his brolly won’t fall down!!!!!!!!)

In summary 2 great lakes (Moorland in need of a pike or two!!!!) that had its issues in the past 5-10years due to very poor management, although this has not returned to how it was in the glory days things are improving year on year.

The third lake i cannot unfortunately comment on as i have not fished this since it was drained all those years ago. It is the best looking lake on the complex and always worth a peaceful walk around.

If anyone has any questions please PM me or Post a reply.

Cheers Mark