Crimps

fy353

Sure this has been up on here before but just as i am getting back into carping after a shortish break, i wondered if anyone of you used crimps in your rig/leader making.

I have used crims for my sea fishing and had no problem with them at all as a leader component, landed a 8lb thornback ray in a heavy tide.

My only concern is that carp lines and leaders are generally a finer diameter and wondered if this would be a disadvantage.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Crimps are very affective as there is no knot involved, and i have never had any problems with them slipping or braking. You can also make hook links the exact size you want them. I don't use them any more because it can get pricey buying loads of them every week.

Korda quote in there somewhere.

Contrary to popular belief- a crimp is no stronger than a good knot- in some cases the crimp is in fact weaker as it either bruises the line from being over tight- or lets the rig material slip from to little crimping pressure (coated braids can actually slip from under their own coating as well this way).

To me, the only advantage of using a crimp is to save rig material as there is no waste from tag ends from knots etc, you can cut the exact amount off the spool you need :wink: