Horsham Lake, Upchurch, Kent

Hello all.

As a new member to the forum, and someone who has picked up the rods again after a few years abscence, I am after help and advice.

I am looking to fish Horsham Lake in the next few days. I'm quite a novice carp fishing having only landed a few while floatfishing maggot etc.

I am looking at trying pop ups with a small PVA bag of crushed boilies & pellet on a size 10 barbless. I intend to start targeting realistic size carp, before aiming for the monsters.

Would this suit the venue, and can anyone give me any other advice. Doesn't matter how trivial, it's all welcome :wink:

Cheers guys

Thanks for the reply 20lber. I went along on Thursday, and had a cracking time to say the least.

As I said I'm a real novice, trying out carping based on advice from the internet and magazines. I didn't have much luck with the pop ups, more down to my presentation I feel, so swapped to hair rigged boilies, as well as trying float fished indian spice pellets.

Throughout the day I had about a dozen fish, the smallest about a pound the biggest around the 5-6lb mark. All the fish put up one hell of a scrap, and I lost a couple which felt a fair bit bigger.

Ok I know that is small fry compared to the levianthans that the dedicated and skilled members on here land, but for me it's a start, and it's really whet my appetite. :D

As a proving ground for someone starting out the venue was excellent, and I will be returning there to improve my catch rate and the sizes too. I think I have the carping bug now...................

Thanks again

Well done fella, these are the places to learn how to handle these powerful fish.Too many people go straight for the monsters and this is no good for them nor the carp.Set yourself goals and gradually set them higher, if a lump comes along you'll be more prepared for it.Good luck