Analysing lakes from aerial view

mtibbit

Hi all,

The following is an aerial view of the lake I will hopefully be fishing this year. It's a syndicate lake and is a 6 acres set in open grassland. Now as I'm still relatively new to this kind of thing I was wondering if the more experienced of you could lend some knowledge and help me choose the spots that I should be baiting up and then potentially fishing. Does anyone know what the darker areas are? Deeper water? Weed?

Hopefully the ideas shared here will be useful for people to use on their own waters.

lakej.jpg

Cheers!

Darker areas look like weed to me. Weed can be cyclic in its growth so what was there one year could be gone the next or on the flip side could be heavier the next. What was the lake created for? extraction? it looks like there are some harder areas ( the browny coloured strip and patches) these could be gravel and would be a good bet. Also the island.

Hi all,

The following is an aerial view of the lake I will hopefully be fishing this year. It's a syndicate lake and is a 6 acres set in open grassland. Now as I'm still relatively new to this kind of thing I was wondering if the more experienced of you could lend some knowledge and help me choose the spots that I should be baiting up and then potentially fishing. Does anyone know what the darker areas are? Deeper water? Weed?

Hopefully the ideas shared here will be useful for people to use on their own waters.

lakej.jpg

Cheers!

Nice pic, shame you can't identify the actual bottom make up; lighter ridges could be sand, gravel or mud :P

While it is a lovely idea to say "the fish will feed at X", I'm sorry the only way to find out is to actually watch the fish and see where they feel comfortable.

138 is correct when he says "the island", but what if it is heavily fished? The carp may not be comfortable there.

It is down to you watching, talking to other anglers nicely, and generally getting some experience as to where the fish will be. The good thing is that you do have a valuable insight as to what the features are, now to work out which ones are the best :wink:

Thanks for taking time to reply. I agree that the island is worth some attention but I would have thought that every other person on the syndicate will have the same idea. Apparently there are around 25 people in the syndicate so I will have to try and meet a few and ask some questions.

The different coloured area/strip on the far left looks interesting so I may have to have a look there. If I have time after work tomorrow I'm going to go for a walk around and see what's going on.

I would take a marker float and have a good look around the area below the island, in the clear, looks like a possible gully in the open water, or at least a bar of sand or gravel.

I would also say that the area to the left of the island is a plateux of some sort as you can make out patches of lillies, so you could expect in the warmer months the fish could come here for the sun

As you've taken the image from google, there should be a date of the image, I think it's in the bottom corner, so this can give you some indication of the time of year or how long ago the picture was taken.

Personally I would be fishing the weedy side of the lake as there seems to be a bit of everything here, clear, sand or gravel, weed etc

That is true. I wasn't really after narrow specifics, just ideas to think about that could perhaps be applied to any water then I can adapt these ideas based on the water's current state. I know they put a load of gravel in somewhere so I'll find out where that is. Thanks for your input guys.

It is handy looking at aerial photo's of a new lake to try and see where any obvious features are but the main advantage is printing a copy of it out and then marking depths, lake bed make up , weed beds or any other interesting features you may find whilst plumbing or fishing in general. :D

I wouldn't bother pre baiting until you've had a walk round to try and find out where they want to feed / show at certain times of the day ( particularly at dawn ). The good thing abut this time of year is that they will usually not be too discreet at letting you know.

Don't turn up with any pre conceptions of how to fish it, keep an open mind :wink:

I visited the lake today and I am now a fully-fledged syndicate member! It seems really nice and I can't wait to get on there.

Here are some photos from 3 swims around the lake:

North of island:

imag0019p.jpg

South of island:

imag0023x.jpg

South west of lake:

imag0024.jpg

I like the peg in the second photo most of all so far I think. Apparently the island is usually not fished much because people can't be bothered as it's a long walk from the car park :lol:

I visited the lake today and I am now a fully-fledged syndicate member! It seems really nice and I can't wait to get on there.

Here are some photos from 3 swims around the lake:

North of island:

imag0019p.jpg

South of island:

imag0023x.jpg

South west of lake:

imag0024.jpg

I like the peg in the second photo most of all so far I think. Apparently the island is usually not fished much because people can't be bothered as it's a long walk from the car park :lol:

Nicely done!

Analysing the lake by picture like this can be as important as an aerial view :wink:

I KNOW that I am particularly anal in matching features from above (mapped by marker rod or aerial view) with those taken from each swim, but I find that it (sometimes) pays off for me.

The current lake that I'm fishing I actually have a set of pictures taken when the lake was drained in the 80's/90's. The features may have worn down over time, but the bars and plateaus are still relevant.

If you can find features that others ignore (but the fish are happy visiting), then you may often gain yourself an advantage, or at least until they start to notice you catching.

As much as you can, it may be worth keeping quiet about where you are catching from, let others know the swims, but not the actual spots, or if you have got a bait working for you.

Also, it may also pay to have cross references, so if someone is in "your" swim, but not fishing to the catching area then you can get to that area from another swim.

Getting on there tomorrow morning for the first time, can't wait. I spoke to a guy I know who's fished it before and he says it's a gravel bottom which I'm pleased about as I'm not good at dealing with weed yet.

About to cook up a huge batch of chilli to keep me sustained for the next 2 days!

Blanked big time! Had a take within half hour of setting up but struck into nothing and the next 30 hours or so was dead. I know someone pulled in a 17lb in the middle of the night but apart from that I don't think anyone else caught.

Can't wait to get on there next weekend, hopefully it warms up a bit and the fish wake up.

Should have added on that pic the darker areas look like weed and the light areas will be shallower areas, possibly bars.

Dark blue usually means deep water. Look for drop offs, carp like them. I would look at that island and the area bottom left where it looks like there is a shallow bathing area which drops off sharply into the deeper water, nearside of island in your pic.

Blanked again last weekend, just no activity. The weather is beginning to warm up though so hopefully they'll start feeding soon. Just ordered myself a marker rod so this weekend's session I'll be learning how to use that, it seems fairly straightforward but may take a while to get used to feeling down the lead etc.

Blanked again last weekend, just no activity. The weather is beginning to warm up though so hopefully they'll start feeding soon. Just ordered myself a marker rod so this weekend's session I'll be learning how to use that, it seems fairly straightforward but may take a while to get used to feeling down the lead etc.

Stick at it mate and eventually you will find a tactic that works for you.

Looking at overheads is great for very basic info - but as nick said theres no substitute for observation of the fish themselves - only they can tell you where they are!

Its been said that the lake changes from year to year which could be big differences; food types, weed types - let alone quantities and location, food larders, holding and feeding areas - what you learn one year can mean next to nothing the next.

Obviously weed is a great attraction as it harbours food but bars and islands have limitted apeal and soon fish out with pressure, though they will always be used for navigation so you have a chance of the odd take.

At the end of the day leading around and markering, watching for feeding displays and feeling for cleaned areas and dig holes is the way to go. The most productive spot may well be the most unlikely looking area, but you cant see worm beds and such like from above so theres no substitute for observation and graft!

Good luck hope you enjoy the new venue! :wink:

Bit off track :roll: I'll get my coat :lol:

Thanks Kev, some good points to consider. I'm looking forward to getting on there this afternoon to begin my first 48hour session. I will marker until I find somewhere I want to cast to and then I'm going to put out a little pop-up with a couple of pop-up corn and then spod over the top.

I made a random, horrible spod mix out of maize, response pellets, halibut pellets, chilli hemp, tiger nuts, chopped active8 boilies and scopex pellets... Something's got to work :lol: