Attention Brisbane Carpers!

After almost a year of pitched battle with Logan Council, I have got the fishing ban reversed at the Doug Larson Park at Beenleigh. Fishing is permitted in the BIG BACK LAKE ONLY, barbless hooks and catch and release apply (including Carp!!). Please do the right thing as this decision didn't come easy and - for the time being at least - has stopped the Council push to close other waterways to angling. PM if you need more info.

Tight Lines, Dennis.

That is an awesome result mate for all the QLD carpers out there. It's a pity I'm not over again till Christmas or I'd be straight up there with bells on!!

I take it this is the place you are talking about?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.705131,153.19667&spn=0.017288,0.038581&z=15

I fished tygum lagoon for a bit but couldn't hack the bogans dive bombing off the bridge 10ft from where I was set-up. Plus the edge of the lagoon is really snakey.

What's the edge like on the back lake? Stock?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yup, you've got the right place. The lake is about 3 acres, grass and the odd tree down to the water's edge, and about 6 feet deep. I fished it for ten years before the council banned angling (June 09), and my PB was 9 1/2lb but I've seen carp cruising around between 20 and 30. I fish Tygum regularly and have the same trouble with the 'intellectually-challenged', but what can ya do - it's illegal to shoot tossers in Oz (although some people do and get away with it!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dennis

You and Ben both mention you fished Tygum lagoon.Just looked it up on google maps it looks quite good and a fair size.Do you think it would be worth a go over the winter as the dive bombers would be gone.There seems to be a couple of promising areas around the bridge or the islands also around the jettie.Have you been there lately?Would be interested in any info reguarding any fishing spots in the area as good advice is very hard to come by.Tihgt lines Paul

Hi Paul,

Winter is the best time to fish Tygum as the spangled perch (all 15 million of 'em and two inches long!) seem to go into hibernation - and like you say, the idiots are a bit thinner on the ground (perhaps they go into hibernation too. . .)

Regarding your PM, yes the 'no fishing' sign is still at the back of Doug Larson Park at the moment, but I've been assured by Council (by email, of which I have a copy) it is going to be removed. I'll give it til the end of the month and if it's not gone I'll give 'em a serve.

Cheers, Dennis

Hi Dennis

You and Ben both mention you fished Tygum lagoon.Just looked it up on google maps it looks quite good and a fair size.Do you think it would be worth a go over the winter as the dive bombers would be gone.There seems to be a couple of promising areas around the bridge or the islands also around the jettie.Have you been there lately?Would be interested in any info reguarding any fishing spots in the area as good advice is very hard to come by.Tihgt lines Paul

G'day Mate,

Don't know how the Aussie fish behave in winter, would assume being mild mostly they would continue to feed. The edge of the lagoon is quite boggy and thick grass. when you get to within 3ft of the water you are bringing up water under your feet. Good snake habitat but mostly in summer.

Only fished it the once but felt the small lagoon under the bridge might hold a few. Lots of lillies means heavier tackle but carp love to cruise the edge of lilly beds, just gotta find patrol routes.

Big bed of stinky maize day before, few more handfuls when on the bank then fish for a bite.

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
After almost a year of pitched battle with Logan Council, I have got the fishing ban reversed at the Doug Larson Park at Beenleigh. Fishing is permitted in the BIG BACK LAKE ONLY, barbless hooks and catch and release apply (including Carp!!). Please do the right thing as this decision didn't come easy and - for the time being at least - has stopped the Council push to close other waterways to angling. PM if you need more info.

Tight Lines, Dennis.

Hi Dennis

At last I cannot believe that someone wants to fish for carp here!

Its great news that there is somewhere to wet a line and fish my old quarry. I live local and since being in oz I have struggled to find like minded fellows who like to fish for carp unless there habit is launching them into the bushes!!!!!

Is there a ticket to be obtained before fishing this lake?

I may have a reason to dust down the carp gear now and chuck a rod out. Anyone that takes on the council and gets a result deserves a pat on the back well done. Rob

Hi Bob,

First of all, thanks for the kind words. No permit needed to fish, but Queensland restrictions apply: No more than six lines out at any one time - Duh!! If you're worried about returning carp while being watched, my advice is to unhook in the water - that way you're not technically 'returning' the fish.

However, I have never killed my catch and have returned carp in full view of, and while talking to, Parks And Gardens officials. Most of the waters in the area contain a large head of carp to low doubles, with the odd lunker just waiting for your boilie! So give a go - you'll find Aussie carp fight just as hard as their UK cousins.

Tight lines, Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of hours fishing over dough larson park on sunday.Have to say the no fishing sign is still in place. No one seemed to take any notice and the few that did were more interested in what i was cathing.Unfortunatley no carp.Did however catch about a dozen fish spieces unknown but up to about 1kg.Still good sport and was nice to get the waggler rod back out.Next time maybe a carp or to.

Dose any one know if you can fish the area on the opposite side of the road this is linked to the front lake in the park and joins by a channel under the road.Looks quit good semms to be on a sports field.Any info welcome

Had a couple of hours fishing over dough larson park on sunday.Have to say the no fishing sign is still in place. No one seemed to take any notice and the few that did were more interested in what i was cathing.Unfortunatley no carp.Did however catch about a dozen fish spieces unknown but up to about 1kg.Still good sport and was nice to get the waggler rod back out.Next time maybe a carp or to.

Dose any one know if you can fish the area on the opposite side of the road this is linked to the front lake in the park and joins by a channel under the road.Looks quit good semms to be on a sports field.Any info welcome

Hi

Shame you did not catch any Carp, I also fished Friday evening,plenty of small stuff but no Carp. I have been putting a little bit of bait so hopefully will not be far away from hooking a larger fish. I have not looked at the other area yet but hopefully someone might have an idea if it can be fished or not.

Hi Guys,

After checking your last two posts I went down and had a look. The 'No Fishing' sign has re-appeared - it was definitely taken down, so I'll find out what's happening. Other species in the lake are mullet (mainly seen swirling around on the surface), tilapia (a sort of perch-like fish and good fighters) and eels. As for the spot on the other side of the road, I have fished there on occasion and although it has the same species, it's a bit on the noisy side what with all the traffic. Will keep in touch about the pesky sign.

Tight lines, Dennis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Received an email today from Council which I reproduce in full:

Hello Dennis,

In response to your concern I can confirm Council has replaced the signs. By allowing angling to return, Council received numerous complaints from other park users in regard to the angling and fishing. I understand that your method of angling does not present the potential concerns which may be associated with fishing. By allowing one method it is inferred that all are allowed and unfortunately in this instance other members of the public have utilised methods which have injured avian and aquatic wildlife. Council was required to respond to birds with entangled line and also reports of Turtle and Terrapins which had been injured. As a result it was agreed between Council and the elected representative that the signs would be reinstated.

I do understand that this is not a positive outcome for your group but at this time I can not offer an alternative. Please contact me at your convenience if you wish, so that we can discuss the matter further and the possibility of alternate sites.

Regards

Justin

Justin Le Page

Urban Parks Coordinator

Logan City Council

Phone: (07) 3412 5338

Fax: (07) 3805 5372

Email: justinlepage@logan.qld.gov.au

Unless anyone else wants to take up the fight, this is me admitting defeat. I tried and I failed.

Sorry guys, Dennis

Hi Guys/ Dennis

Thanks for letting us know, thats a real shame though, I was just getting into it. Are there any other local waters, rivers, etc locally (Beenleigh, Gold coast) that Carp are present? I have had a look at tygum lagoon and had a plumb about. it would seem the water is very shallow. I did not see any signs of Carp but assume there might be some present. Any ideas of size and has anyone fished there?

Looking at previous posts there seems to be the usual unwanted characters downthere.

Has anyone fished the river near Doug Larson park and caught Carp? or is the water a little salty being fairly close to the sea?

Maybe I will have to admit defeat as well and start fishing for the native species now!!

Any information will be gladly appreciated.

cheers Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Its a crying shame of the same old story that things are spoilt by a few for the majority.We may have a winge..... :cry::cry: now and then but I dont think for one minute that we as carp fishermen go out on purpose to harm any kind of animal in quest of our chosen type of fishing methods.

Good luck lads in search for a venue.

All the best from the west.

Nails

Tight Lines, Dennis.

Excellent news! I just these carp fishing info around Logan!!

Mr Yang,

As has been mentioned the signs have now been replaced at Doug Larson and 'no fishing' has been reinstated. this means no carp fishing. You'll have to find somewhere else. please do not ignore the signs as it may harm any chance we have of having fishing being reinstated.

Members of this forum work hard to find spots to fish, it is not easy given the opinions of the neanderthals on carp. So be patient, there are other options. If you need any further help feel free to ask. welcome to the forum btw!

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hi all....

am looking at trying to catch some carp in Queensland..i live on the sunshine coast area...does anyone know of rivers lakes ect where I can go camping for a few days, dog misso.. ect ect... just saw a report about fishing for carp in logan !!!!... hows that one going !!!!...

don't mind traveling got boat ect ect... just want to catch a carp aint caught one in oz yet.....

any info would be great...

thanks all

pomemat!!

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone wondering if this post is still alive???

I'm moving to Brisbane in november and was hoping to carry on fishing for carp onntgd future. Only to find out that they are killed in queensland but then stumbled upon this post saying catch and release in the park. is this still the case? Cheers rik

15 minutes ago, Ricky78 said:

Hi everyone wondering if this post is still alive???

I'm moving to Brisbane in november and was hoping to carry on fishing for carp onntgd future. Only to find out that they are killed in queensland but then stumbled upon this post saying catch and release in the park. is this still the case? Cheers rik

Did not mean to hurt know ones feeling by saying carp are killed. I'm devastated finding out this news as an avid carp catcher😭