Spawning times in france

mrcarp

I think you will be OK as you say the carp will be packing on weight and also be in top condition, if the lake had a large shallow/spawning area area 1 to 2 ft deep then this area may hit 18 deg early and trigger spawning but I think with the lake being 5-7ft you will hit it just right. Good luck and I hope you get a few big fish.

Our experience over the last 7 seasons has made us realise that the 18 degree rule is not always the only trigger or indeed is it at all?

Because our fishs first spawning has happened within a 10 day window on each of our seasons the water temperature during that period over all the seasons has varied from 13degrees to 20 degrees. We are of the opinion that there are many other triggers... maybe length of daylight? water quality? natural food source triggers? Moon phase?

Maybe science has the answer.

Agree with CarpQuarry though I think you should be fine.

Hi mrs rusheslake,

How are you? are you a lake owner?

Hopefully we'll get a response from the very knowlegable guys on here! Im sure that these things affect the way the carp re-act with regards to spawning. I find it a pleasure to watch fish spawn, you get to see them when there completley unaware of everything thats on around them.

Maybe even have one out whilst there unaware! Here's hoping! :roll:

This is like my trip, i just know its going to be spawning time (may 15th) my timing for trips and breaks is always nearly right or sholuld i say only just wrong... always a week or 2 out from the best fishing week. :D:D

im praying that they have either got it out of the way or are a couple of weeks away from it...... wish me luck. :wink:

Well if they are spawning when we go, we could walk right up to them and pick them out of the water. take a quick photo (probably get lots of slaps around the face from a very lively fish) return it and take the glory! :lol: haha.......Im told by a freind who breads fish in the uk that the temp would need to be 22 degrees for the spawn to survive!

And the fish would not spawn before this, iv known fish to spawn late april in the uk so this is more likely in the warmer parts of france.

• 1 month later...

After one day of very warm sunny weather yesterday, woke up this morning to crashing all over the lake...

Spawning

The water temperature has NOT been 18 degrees for a week, not even 18 degrees now.

We thought maybe the very harsh winter may have held the fish off spawning during their usual last 2 weeks of April but no...

They are spawning at Carpquarry this week ( mid Brittany), now have 5 grumpy anglers who have not had a touch yet. Have been checking water temp and the surface water has hit 18deg at mid day when the suns been on it, I have to say that Mrs Rusheslake was spot on by saying end of April

Hi mark, finally got the fish having it! I had 3 fish last night. 40.08 mirror, 36.00 mirror and a cat about 30. Looking good for the last few days! I'm fishing swim 14 on the south bank. Wicked water, but a little harder than I thought. There very cute! Had to work hard for them! I think the fish have thought, and perhaps tried to spawn but we keep having cold nights which I should imagine is stopping them! Silver fish spawn all over my lines, so they've certainly had a go!