360 rig

tel90

hi everyone, i've been tinkering with an idea of using the 360rig on a quiet pressured water of been fishing but am quite unsure on the correct way of tying it and secondly the safety side of it. where they say to put a swivel over the hook point down to the eye so the hook can move around freely, won't that create a strange angle when there's a fish attached??? I've seen it tyed up this way on several different sites on the net but wouldn't want to use something that is dangerous to our quarry??? any ideas????? :?:?:?

its a totally safe rig to use mate,used to use it myself,had some proper carp on it aswell ,i would say that 95% of the fish i caught on it were hooked at least 2 inches back in the bottom of the mouth and bang centre,also don't think the man that invented it would have used it if it was dangerous to the fish seeing he's in the public eye alot(dave lane)

ya learn something new everyday hey, lol. thanks just wanted to make sure all is safe before i go using something new and unsure of. been told it's real difficult for the fish to get rid of once they've picked it up, something that rather appeals to me on one of the water i'm fishing at the mo :D

mate the 360 can and does cause awfull damage to the smaller carp, imho i think it should be banned like the bent hook. have a look through these links i have put up. people will say they re safe and as said dave lane uses then BUT that dont mean they are safe just cause a named angler uses it. read through and make your own mind up.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30745&highlight=360

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31347&highlight=360

blimey, contrversial isn't the word. I've decided that considering the lake i'm fishing doe's contain queit a head of doubles that it would be best to leave this one alone, i'm not particually willing to join the debate (and a large debate it seems to be) on is it or is it not safe mainly due to the fact i have no experience on using this rig. I have several other rigs i'm playing around at the mo and if they're is a chance it could do some damage i'm not willing to hav a go. thanx for your advice anyway though gents. :(

There are many rigs about that are designed for particular fish, or for particular waters; 360, Bent hook, Withy Pool rig etc.

The problems come when every man and his dog use them for every fish that swims. Used in the right situation, for the larger fish they will usually cause absolutely no problems (that is NOT condoning there use), but when every fish that picks up the bait is nailed, then mouth damage can occur, especially more so with smaller fish that often feed and get hooked more.

I know that a number of people dislike Longshank hooks for mouth damage, but then many who use them are fishing for smaller fish. Yet there are Big Name anglers who use them specifically for larger fish (over 25lbs for example), and the problem is not evident.

In most cases, simple is best, a knotless knotted or line aligned rig with a supple hair is probably the most effective catcher going, even a supposedly inefficient rig can be made effective, by how you get the fish feeding. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

The 360 rig can be made safe by tying a very short (1") piece of stiff flurocarbon to the hook. Thread this through the eye of a mini ring swivel, then thread on a 3 or 4mm tungsten bead. Tie a knot in the end of the fluorocarbon and blob with a lighter. Basically you will end up with the same mechanics as a 360rig, but there will be a 1" section of fluorocarbon between the hook and swivel to minimise the chances of mouth damage.

It's very difficult to explain well without a diagram to be honest, but i'm sure some of you get my just...

So is a hinged stiff rig then....... :lol::lol:

All this talk on rigs makes me laugh, i spend the least part of my fishing time thinking about rigs, i use the same rig for nearly every water i fish with minor changes on a couple. too much time in anglingis wasted trying different rigs.

My advise is stick with one hook pattern and then fine tune the rest (hooklink material, shrink tube, length, etc) and stick with it. Understand how it works and you can then make very minor adjustments to make it work anywhere. Basically if you continue to chop and change rigs you will never understand them and how to make them work for you.

• 3 weeks later...
So is a hinged stiff rig then....... :lol::lol:

All this talk on rigs makes me laugh, i spend the least part of my fishing time thinking about rigs, i use the same rig for nearly every water i fish with minor changes on a couple. too much time in anglingis wasted trying different rigs.

My advise is stick with one hook pattern and then fine tune the rest (hooklink material, shrink tube, length, etc) and stick with it. Understand how it works and you can then make very minor adjustments to make it work anywhere. Basically if you continue to chop and change rigs you will never understand them and how to make them work for you.

i could'nt agree more the old addage "keep it simple" is the best way to go, carp anglers are so gullible as soon as a new rig comes on the schene most anglers go for it thinking that they have the edge,............in just over 40 years of carp fishing the best fish i have put on the bank have been with simple tactics

• 3 years later...

I've made some up, but only tried it on one session and I didn't get on with it to be honest. I didn't like how the rig looked under tension with the swivel pulling on the shank of the hook, and found it complicated (not to tie, its just a fussy rig). I like the look of the swivel linked onto the eye of the hook which would solve the issue of strain on the shank of the hook. having said that I'm happier with a simple combi or very short naked chod rig for pop ups.

Cheers, Paul

Theobeeus I understand what you are saying but I have not had any trouble with this rig,I enjoy fishing and would not use anything to harm the fish,

I wouldn't worry about the rig, as long as you use the right hooks, its no less safe than any other rig. The mouth damage myth is from I mentioned earlier the hook eye getting caught in landing net mesh, a problem that is easily solved.

I wouldn't class the 360 as complicated at all, in fact its pretty simple. It works on the same basis as a chod...no matter which way the fish approaches the hook can touch the bottom lip, and spin round and take hold. Simple as it gets!