Hardcore Anglers?

salokcinnodrog

What do you describe as Hardcore Angling?

I think a few people on here will know what I mean :wink:

As amongst us there are some mad people who will move heaven and earth to fish as much as possible, and are always thinking how to maximise their bank time.

At what point do you decide that "THATS IT!"?

Is there any weather that you really think "I can't be bothered", or do you fish regardless?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok not carping but noddy fishing.!

Many moons ago a friend and I (we were kids) went to “middle pool” and were so desperate to fish that we got dropped of by my dad with a little green tent – the pool was frozen and I mean really frozen there was about 2 foot of snow all round the pool….

We had to smash some ice and using a quiver we both sat in the tent right next to the lake.

Hard core is when you get dropped off at 6 in the morning as a kid with no way home till daddy comes 12 hours+ later. (don’t forget we were about 12 so no fancy chairs or luxuries as we had no money)

Good old days; that day will always stick with me …..and you guessed it we blanked surprisingly :cry::cry:

:lol: We used to catch a bus to the river almost 15 miles away, use nuts and bolts as ledgers....oh the good old days.

Hardcore to me apart from the weather are those that totally disregard their relationships with wives,children etc and go fishing...Unable to see whats happening. Ill be honest i can see how its easily done :)

I have fished through some real bad weather, minus 8 overnight a couple of years back, frost/ice on the sleeping bag but wont do it no more as i have a problem with left knee the colder it gets the more it hurts.......i have a saying these days, i go to enjoy it, not endure it!

i have fished in all weathers but its the freezing temps that stop me now!

im real lucky that my fishing does not interfere with relationships, karin my partner loves to come with me....sorted :wink:

I used to walk the seven miles to my chosen lake carrying all my tackle and bait including a heavy basket half full of groundbait.

This walk was started at 4am and I used to get home at 8pm, this was most Saturdays and all school holidays starting at the age of 12.

Nowadays I do not fish for carp in winter but think nothing of driving 600-750 miles to go fishing and its not always long sessions.

However I am also happy to sit weeks on end on the bank only leaving to bath, change cloths, stretch my legs and catch up on medication.

I do not consider myself hard-core.

Sitting for 4 nights a week on a lightly stiocked water through Dec, Jan, Feb, where if ONE fish comes out, it's every few years :(

Wouldn't fancy it now mind, lifes too short.

Not sure that counts as hardcore though, it must mean different things to different people?

Lugging tackle and groundbait seven miles is pretty hardcore to me !!

Disco

i was fishing a lake in cornwall when i was a lad, was only 17at the time so had to get me mates dad to give us a lift down their from devon cause neither of us had passed ye old driving test at the time. anyways we were all set for a 4night stint and on the second day the wind became hell of a lot stronger than predicted, ended up tryin to keep hold of the bivvies in a storm force 9 blow through the night, nearly ended up in the trees several times. :oops:

not sure i'd call it hardcore, sad springs to mind!, there is more to life than catching carp and if you class yourself as 'hardcore' then you've tipped the balance a little too far :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd class hardcore as fishing in sub zero temperatures and breaking the ice just to fish.

Fishing for weeks on end.

Quitting your job to fish.

I'd also class people who drive 100's of miles just to prebait as quite hardcore.

,to me the hardcore are the anglers who brought our sport to the fore,infact the anglers that first dare fish for carp all them years ago,with no hair rig,boilie,bite alarm etc to use.what they learnt and invented back then has made our fishing so much easier now.as for the present day,fishing lakes like the mere and living like rats to pursue your quarry,thats pretty hardcore.as for fishing in minus temperatures,sitting in strong to gale force winds and rain,well thats what we do,its not hardcore especially seeing that we got the best tackle,clothing etc around to help it be that more comfortable for us

,to me the hardcore are the anglers who brought our sport to the fore,infact the anglers that first dare fish for carp all them years ago,with no hair rig,boilie,bite alarm etc to use.what they learnt and invented back then has made our fishing so much easier now.as for the present day,fishing lakes like the mere and living like rats to pursue your quarry,thats pretty hardcore.as for fishing in minus temperatures,sitting in strong to gale force winds and rain,well thats what we do,its not hardcore especially seeing that we got the best tackle,clothing etc around to help it be that more comfortable for us

That says it all for me. Quality emmcee :wink:

The reason I started this thread was to work out how my passion for fishing got to mean so much, and I'm now thinking the term "Hardcore" may be slightly wrong :oops::roll:

I have no sympathy for the "doleites" who fish simply because they can't be bothered to get a job, but for those who put their passion for fishing at the top, as long as they keep in touch with reality :wink:

Nowadays I have a Full Time job, an (ex) Mrs, and children, and they always come first over fishing, but even now I still fish as much as I can.

For New Year I arrived at the lake on Thursday, set up, and fished as the lake froze around me; every day I was clearing a small corner of the lake to keep my lines free. At the end of the session I simply reeled in (breaking the ice in the process), packed up, and then went to work on the Monday morning.

This weekend I drove from Suffolk to the lake on Saturday, set up, and fished from Saturday to Monday morning, packed up, went to work. Monday night I arrived at the lake, fished until Tuesday morning, packed up and went to work, then did the same for Wednesday, but went home Wednesday evening.

Earlier this season I was working for 3weeks so that I could fish for a week, and in the past I have done regular nights after work, packing up in the morning to go back to work.

Strangely, inspite of Tel's comments, I have never been in trouble with the Mrs over my fishing habits, either she understands my passion, or simply realises that she can't compete with my fishing.

At the same time, she also knows that there is not a single job in the house that needs to be done, I have done the re-plastering, re-painting and small repairs that need doing. She also knows that I spend lots of money (relative to what I can afford :wink: ) on our 2 children and her without anything being left short.

I've never really thought of myself as a Hardcore angler, although as Levi (Frank) has said as a child I thought nothing of cycling or walking 7miles to go fishing as a child.

Am I a hardcore carper or someone simply with a passion for fishing so deep?

edited for typo

Nothing that I've read here registers as hardcore. We are just a bunch of people who go fishing. Sometimes we get cold but soon enough we're warm again. Sometimes we travel miles from home but, eventually we get home. Some of us are fortunate to have the capability to fish for days on end. Hardcore? No, of course not.

Now consider those anglers who are disabled or seriously ill yet still fish at every opportunity presented. Guys in wheelchairs, sometimes assisted, sometimes not. My late brother in law Chris Watts did a 48 hour session with me despite suffering from terminal cancer. He died 3 weeks later, content, I like to think. I've previously mentioned Keith Steele, another brother in law, who suffered a massive stroke which took his speech, the sight in his left eye and the use of his right arm and leg while we were fishing together. We still fish together as often as is possible.

These are the people that inspire me. Hardcore? Yes, of course.

Ian

Hardcore to me is someone who fishes outside their comfort zone most if not all of the time. Anglers who sacrifice for their fishing. Be it time, money, relationships, health. Putting 'being on the bank' above all else.

I may be biased but Aussie carping is hardcore. Guys I know spend weeks searching rivers for carp, battling killer snakes and spiders, flash floods, extreme heat, snag filled watercourses and overgrown banks. There's no gated lake, car park, prepared swims or stocking info...just a machete, scuba gear, weed rake and sheer guts and determination. Awesome!

Not to mention the public opinion on carp in Oz means you get alot of grief too!

Jake Langley Hobbs, five years outdoors fishing....hardcore!!