trying too hard

beanz

iv often thought this...and after reading a link on here earlier its got me thinking again.

when i first got into carping back in 2000 i didnt have the internet and never seen a carp mag only ever read AT and IYCF now n then,and i only really paid attention to finding the fish then fishing for them, baits ,rigs , tackle etc didnt matter.all on the river

then i got lucky and where i worked a couple of guys owned the own lakes.

one was a not much to look at on a golf course but was great for surface fishing and even better in the right swim for cats. here i learnt about drop backs from a guy that pointed out that while i was fishing up against the island i wouldnt get a screamer and id probably missed alot during the night.

the second lake was a proper carp lake, i went there uneducated and mainly fish the method. i got the nick name "top rod" not even knowing what it meant.there i met a good fishing buddy who always had a carp mag, he showed me PVA, rigs i thought were crazy and tackle i could only dream of.

now i often think back to them days where i out fished the serious carpers who said id be wasting my time doing this or that and they do it like this,

does more info just cloud your thoughts, iv never felt like iv been on top of my fishing just scraping by since.

iv definitely had a few sessions over the last 2 years where just being on the bank means so much i kinda give up once im there

do you think you try to hard??? or not hard enough??

Yes, I firmly believe that sometimes we second guess ourselves. Your example, just showing up and fishing the method, with no preconception but great results, typifies what I'm trying to say here.

Sometimes the best approach is to just get on with it, never mind the current "thinking" concerning a water. The first year I fished our local club water I did very well with sweetcorn as my prefered bait, only to be told months later, by the gurus that "Corn don't work on here, mate". Oh, really?

My approach is to use simple rigs and simple baits and simply catch some fish. How difficult should things really be?

Ian

Ive definately had thoses sessions where just been there means so much you kinda give up once there, just glad to be there and want to enjoy it and look at it like, if a fish comes along then bonus.

Your definately right about all the latest gear clouding our thoughts, when i first started out me and my mate would use a 2 man tent, not bivvy, tent :oops::lol: , then went on to sharing a one man pop up bivvy, the whole time using deck chairs for our seats which we also slept sat on, i actually use to stay up all night when i fished then, now i cant wait to hit the sack half the time because of the fancy bedchair and sleeping bag, i sleep better than i do at home.

I use to buy pre-tied rigs and the first time i saw a boilie i thought i was going to catch everything in the lake :lol:

All in all though i probably use to fish better then and definately put more effort in than i do now, it was all so simple then, why does it get all the more difficult when all this stuff is meant to help with your fishing?

I reckon a lot of us suffer with "Artificial Information Overload" :!:

We go onto a water with the latest wonder rig, the latest wonder bait, cast in and blank, and then wonder why.

We don't actually spend time learning the water or the fish.

I have pretty much given up reading magazines after the latest information available which from at least 1 magazine seems to be fish at all costs, without recourse to fish safety and care.

I don't get swayed by magazines to try the latest rig, the latest bait, or whatever, but work on my own information. If that means I spend time watching the water, looking for fish, observing their behaviour and trying to understand then I think it shows in my results.

Yes, sure we ALL blank at times, but I'm hoping that in my particular case it is not because I believed everything I read.

I firmly believe that I don't try hard enough, and I could do better :!:

I used to buy the mags, but not any more (sort of get carp tv )

i like fishing with boilies, but im also into "old school" carpin, so im finding my carp angling is becoming less complicated and hopefully more productive, and this is gonna be the year i really start "looking " for the carp and using much more water craft, and not just bunging the latest rig and boilie in and waiting for it to happen :wink:

We're all a function of what we've experienced to my mind - there are guys out there who are great at long range spodding where the fish respond to that type of baiting, but put them on a water holding boilie munches, and they may struggle.

The more experiences you have - and the more different waters you fish - the better angler you'll be.

Catching a few fish from any one water doesn't make you good - it's the guys who consistently catch from every water they go on that are the ones to watch. In particular, the guys who get them sussed early!

Reading magazines gives you some ideas - but it's one way traffic - far better to have some dialogue with people, so you can ask questions, understand "why" they think something works and in what contexts.

I can actually think of a couple of articles that have been written where the guy who has written it has said that they actually "forgot" to include the key bit of information - on one, without that info, the rig wouldn't function any where near as efficiently!

We're all a function of what we've experienced to my mind - there are guys out there who are great at long range spodding where the fish respond to that type of baiting, but put them on a water holding boilie munches, and they may struggle.

The more experiences you have - and the more different waters you fish - the better angler you'll be.

Catching a few fish from any one water doesn't make you good - it's the guys who consistently catch from every water they go on that are the ones to watch. In particular, the guys who get them sussed early!

Reading magazines gives you some ideas - but it's one way traffic - far better to have some dialogue with people, so you can ask questions, understand "why" they think something works and in what contexts.

I can actually think of a couple of articles that have been written where the guy who has written it has said that they actually "forgot" to include the key bit of information - on one, without that info, the rig wouldn't function any where near as efficiently!

Dan,

The last line from your post makes me think actually quite a bit about information and rigs performing efficiently. Do you reckon too much in printed articles is put on it being rig info rather than how to get the fish feeding?

Its something I think about a lot, because the most "inefficient" rig, can be the most effective hooker if the bait or feeding situation is right.

That "one way traffic" is another interesting point, the article can give a dialogue on how the final answer was reached, yet in reality, it isn't instant, it is a solution reached over time, and they "forget" to explain the overall tweaks that were used.

I recently got into carp fishing seriously, i used to fish for whatever took my bait and i would only ever waggler fish. Then i got my first real taste for carp fishing after landing a few nice ones and decided to target them purposely. even still i was catching 12 pound carp on my float setup the "carpers" would look at me like some fool,no bite alarm or bivvy. i think these alot of snobbish-nes in carp fishing but i just get on with my session. I admit ive made a few changes to my tackle but its mainly to land bigger carp than to fit in.

its funny i started fishing again in may after a 20yr break. just fished the way i used to and did well everywhere i fished until about august when the new information overload tipped me into catching less. i still seem to do better on new waters i havent fished and go with my gut instinct compared to my regular water where im getting worse :cry: re thought it all in oct/nov tried feeder fishing and all the old tricks i could remember and came back on form. this year im going to treat every session and water as a fresh challenge an see how it goes.

I have not been carp fishing very long, always float fished just turned up in the morning never worried about wind direction, feeding patterns etc, just fished for what came along and did pretty well at it, i sometimes feel back then was more enjoyable as i was just there for a day on the bank, i think i worry i am not doing it right to many times now due to reading something different every time i pick up the latest mag.

as far as tackle goes i think trying too hard is a trap we all fall into at some point :( its natural to want to learn and take in as much as possible and most of us are guilty of spending a small fortune on gear at some point in our fishing lives.

the trouble is fishing isn't that hard, the latest wonder rigs/baits/gear aren't necessary, you just need to put your simple bait on a simple rig and stick it in the right place :wink:8) once you get that and you start to focus on what really matters you'll catch more 8)

Yes...must admit to carp mag overload, trying new rigs, buying latest rig bits etc and ye, it cost a fortune but did not make much difference. One thing that does my head in is the constant introduction of new boilies, which have allegedly been tried tested and produced the goods. This year I want to use naturals as well as HNV boilies. I think we under estimate maggots so I am going to give them a go on my local day ticket runs water.

Yes...must admit to carp mag overload, trying new rigs, buying latest rig bits etc and ye, it cost a fortune but did not make much difference. One thing that does my head in is the constant introduction of new boilies, which have allegedly been tried tested and produced the goods. This year I want to use naturals as well as HNV boilies. I think we under estimate maggots so I am going to give them a go on my local day ticket runs water.

Try worms, too. There's a lot to be said for natural baits.

Ian

the's a line in one of hughes and crow books that goes along the lines of

"the is a lot written on how to do it and not enough written on how to think about doing it"

i definitely been guilty of just going though the motions at times,and one or two i feel my plan and work have been the reason for my results.

Some years ago i realised something , big carp are quite hard to catch :shock: . Back then i would read carpy mags and in my mind it was only me that wasn't landing fish all day every day . I would end up trying to mimic what ever it was that had caught the fish in the last article i had read. Now days i stick with what i know and like , if i alter something i do it because i feel it might work not because i saw something that worked on a lake 100 miles away . Obliviously not all you read or are told is rubbish

but you have to question things . On a lake i fish one of the bailiffs will tell

everyone to fish yellow baits and that everything he catches comes to yellow baits , it turns out he only fishes with yellow baits there , but it doesn't mean you wont catch on other baits (hope that makes sense )