Lac de Montbel

greybarbelman

A friend of mine has just moved to the Ariege region of france and is near to a place called Lac Montbel. We took a trip to have a look round and although the main part of this large water goes up and down dramatically depending on rainfall we liked the look of a part that is sectioned off from the main lake by a dam wall next to a cafe ( not the one on the main water). Does anyone have any info on this venue, e.g. what permits are needed, is there a specific season, can you night fish etc., anything else that might be helpful if we give it a go.

Lac de Montbel is a category 2 water and one of the few in the area where night fishing is allowed, there are restrictions however. You are not allowed to fish within the area of hydro-electric installations, and "the use of electrical equipment is restricted" I`m not sure if bait boats would fall into that category. Permits can be purchased from the many fishing/hunting suppliers. A day permit costing 10 euro`s, 30 euro`s for a holiday permit (15 consequitive days between June and September), 47 euro`s for a annual permit and 24 euro`s for a childs permit. You can find further information on the Aude/Ariege tourist info web site( French only) Try hitting the Google translate key. God luck. Regards Mick.

• 4 weeks later...

............mainly because 75% of the spawning females died in 2003 when there was a late snow melt off the mountains and the water temperature dropped dramatically :( ANd it hasnt been restocked since.

I live nearby and fish it but have only caught 2 fish in 30 days fishing. And some guys i know came over from ireland and fished it and caught one carp between them in 3 weeks - one of them fishes for the Ireland team so they were not novices!

So to recap - i wouldnt waste your time coming here for a holiday from the uk - i only live 30 mins away so its a camping session for me and if i catch a fish its a bonus. (gets me away from the missus :o )

I also fish for pike at the same time so it breaks the monotony.

if you do decide to go there give me a shout and i'll come wet a line :D

Lac de Montbel is a category 2 water and one of the w in the area where night fishing is allowed, there are restrictions however. You are not allowed to fish within the area of hydro-electric installations, and "the use of electrical equipment is restricted" I`m not sure if bait boats would fall into that category. Permits can be purchased from the many fishing/hunting suppliers. A day permit costing 10 euro`s, 30 euro`s for a holiday permit (15 consequitive days between June and September), 47 euro`s for a annual permit and 24 euro`s for a childs permit. You can find further information on the Aude/Ariege tourist info web site( French only) Try hitting the Google translate key. God luck. Regards Mick.

an annual permit is 84 € not 47€ sorry!

have never seen a bailiff and personally wouldnt bother with a bait boat as you need a "real" boat to get to anywhere fishable. Personal preferences only so no offence mad mick!!.

There are some big fish still in there but real hard to catch but thats fishing! :o

• 3 months later...

Never fished it befor but sat on the banks a few times. I have friends who live in chalarbra (not far away) and they own the cafe on the side of the lake where the campsite is situated. I think the son, Valentine runs the cafe and his mother, Stephanie runs the pizzeria in chalarbre called Stellas. i think steph might call herself stella. So if you do go down, pop in and have one of thier wonderfull pizzas or one of the other equally nice meals from thier menu, and give her a big hug from me. Good luck with the fishing, wish i was there! brian. :D

Never fished it befor but sat on the banks a few times. I have friends who live in chalarbra (not far away) and they own the cafe on the side of the lake where the campsite is situated. I think the son, Valentine runs the cafe and his mother, Stephanie runs the pizzeria in chalarbre called Stellas. i think steph might call herself stella. So if you do go down, pop in and have one of thier wonderfull pizzas or one of the other equally nice meals from thier menu, and give her a big hug from me. Good luck with the fishing, wish i was there! brian. :D

Will be going there again as soon as all the snow has melted off the mountains. I drop in the cafe for a few beers each time i am there - nice to have a cold one after a session :) they have some good music there too in the summer which is good to listen to!

i have fond memories of music filled nights at the cafe, whilst watching a light show given by mother nature. awsome! :)

You need something to occupy the time whilst waiting for the few elusive fish in Montbel! Beautiful skies and a bit of music help :)