Gippsland carping

I went fishing this afternoon the rain had after this morning. The wind was still pretty strong and changed slightly a round from yesterday. I started off in a similar area to the day before, but there was no fish showing. I had disturb 8 to 10 fish up on the walk up, the fish went bow waving out. I fished 1rod close in covering the margin drop off and fished the other at longer range drifting out in the wind. After an hour I had not a bite or seen any fish cruising or jumping out. So I moved a round to where I had disturb the fish I saw 1fish boil on the surface I put a rod to it and sat there for a while. The fish must have moved out as I did not see any more signs of it. I fished a round the lake like this dropping in on areas. I saw the odd fish bow wave out or move, but had no bites. The wind got up and I worked my way back to where my mate was fishing he was struggling, but managed 3fish to 7 lbs. near dark I saw a good double coming nearly full out taking flies the fish came near my float and bait, but did take it, it seem totally on taking flies.

On the other rod I had a few bites in the last hour of light, but not good enough bites to strike at.

The reality of fishing

Tight lines

Andy

• 1 month later...

I fished for the first time on the weekend for a month. I went after work and fished from afternoon until dark the conditions were 25 .oc with a good wind blowing. I started by float fishing i crept and disturbed fish under my feet and there was fish to my left. I fed bait in for a while anmd then put the float out the fish were taking the float in and then it was coming straight back up. Or they were running it across the surface i could not hit abite. I kept going with this for a while roving a bait further out for some fish i could see crusing and taking bugs off the surface. I changed over to touch legering on a small leger and cast over and tweaked the bait back. From this i started to get pulls and drops by this i could hit the bite on the small pulls and hit fish. i managed a few fish 6 to 8lbs and then i hooked a bigger fish which went all over the area. This fish was lovely common at 11.14lbs. I then had a few more fish with all the fish just hooked in the lip. Alot of bites i didi not strike as i did not want to spook fish, so i waited for a better pull. I managed a few more fish and then hit something bigger which hugged the bottom and would not come to the surface after a hard and few nervous moments and the fish swam out of the net i netted a big fish.

This fish was very long and solid and went 18.5lbs on thje scales that is 3 doubles and with 2 15+ fish in 15 fish off this water so it is looking good for a big fish, which could finally break the 20 pound mark.

Even though this is a big water and there is lot of area with no fish it is really a case of walking a round and finding the fish and then trying and put bait to them.

For now a very happy angler

tight lines

stokecarper12

I managed 1 fishing trip out over the weekend. I fished afternoon into the dark. There was a few fish when i got there, but the water had come a fair bit over the last week and there was more colour in it. I fed bait in bait over time and a few fish showed and there was definite fish bubbling. I was having the odd twitch on the line, but i just could not hit them, so i gave more line and gave them some more time. I managed a couple of fish to 5lbs and then swapped over onto the float where i had a bite straight a way. Which i hooked a better fish which went screaming out and then the line fell slack. The other bites were like fish playing a round with the bait. Taking the float one minute and then straight back up again. I managed 1 other fish and then went bcak to legering. I managed anothe 5 fish and then a better fish of 9.4lbs a real long carp.

I am going to try out new areas to see if i can find bigger carp, or new spots as the places i am fishing are big areas.

Hopefully i will catch something big

tight lines

stokecarper12

I fished once last week the weather was 26 to 28 off the back of 34 the day before. A good wind was pushing out from the bank. I fished a new pool and new areas. I heard and had seen fish a round this big reed, sedge bed i float fished in 3 feet of water tight on the bottom. Firing in bait every so often. I did not have bite on this rod, i heard one fish in the reed bed. I baited up at the end for another time. I baited and fish to the end of some bulrushes where i had seen a good fish topping out the week before. I fish for a few hours with no signs and then move the rod to another spot. I fish the next spot to before dark and then moved a round to another spot to bait up for another day. The pool area behind me there was 5 fish topping out. I was going to put a bait to them, but did not really i don't know if they would have been bothered with the baits i had with me. Some livley worms would have been good as the fish were taking something off the surface.

Those fish can wait for another day A blank is good it will make appreciate when i catch a big fish. The night was beautiful the wind dropped and it was just good to be out side with no one else a round. I would have to pay good money in the u.k for this.

tight lines

andy

I fished 1 afternoon last week and fished a new area. A bay which opens out into a big area of lake interspersed with islands of reed and sedge beds. I float fish an area i had baited last week. After an hour i saw a reasonable fish drift into the bay, it made circles a round the bay and went over to where my float was, but then just carried on going. I had 2 bobs on the float on this rod, but did have fish fizzing i just could not manage a bite. I disturbed fish when i bait over the float. I saw some fish behind me in another area of water. Taking thins off the surface i cast over to them and then slowly drew the bait back i had a bite with a minute and landed a fish of a 1and half. I chucked out again and had another bite, but the bait was dropped. I baited closer in in this area and managed another small fish. On the bigger bay i drifted out baits and fish were taking the baits after a few hours very quietly off the surface. If i was not watching i would not have seen the baits dissapear. I saw a couple of good fish, but could not drift the bait out to them. I managed one take close in, the bite was dropped before i could hit it. I had baited an area in the bay to some reeds where i touched legered,this produced 3 bites, which i struck and hit a very hard fighting fish. Which nearly made the reed beds on a few occasions, but i managed to steer the fish out. It was a long fish of 13.7lbs. So another good fish.

Still waiting for that 20, i think more time on the bank is needed.

for now tight lines

stoke carper 12

carp 13.7lbs

• 3 weeks later...

I have fished twice in the last 2 weeks. The first session i struggled to put any fish on the bank i saw carp from the off moving in on the bait i had put out. I had twitchy pull on the line, which i struck at and missed the fish. It might have been a line bite. From then on i only saw one more fish flat spot further out than the bited area. I had a small carp from another area and that was it for that day.

The next session i fished a few areas and had a fish by drifting a bait right out to a reed bed it was only 4lbs, but went everwhere. I saw a good double topping out by a snag area, i put a bait under a float to the snag area and drew it back over to where the carp had been leaping and rolling. I tried several times to get this carp to take and sat for a few hours putting the bait back out. I had one take, but the float went down as it flew back up. There was afew other carp topping out and driting. I saw another carp a round the double mark. On the other rod i managed 7 carp to 7lbs and lost one fish and a few other bites. The bigger fish seem to be driting a round after bugs on the surface. I am going to try new areas to try and find a bigger fish.

for now tight lines

Lake wellington is one big lump of a water, i would try where the game reserve is marked to the left of marly point and the boat club. You go left from there and go through a rock area into a big bay i am sure there is some big fish in there and few rivers come in there. I have used a kayak for a fare while. I am putting the craft on a few areas at the moment and trying to find a twenty. Let me know if you are a round at wellington.

I fished the weekend the weather was warm 36-37.oc and a good bit of rain came down for 20 minutes giving me a good soaking. The wind was blowing into my face. Which made it hard to put a bait out i looked a round a few areas first and did not see any fish moving. So i moved up a new area where i had seen fish topping out before. On cue a fish came out so i put a bait tight to the post i sat and waited for a while and then had a good pull the fish kited into the bank. The rod hooped over and then sprand back, i thought the fish had come off, but luckly it had not. It gave a fairly good fight and kited right into the near bank. I managed to pump the fish up and get into the net it went 8.3lbs on the scales. I then chucked out a gain i had a bite and struck, but missed the fish a fish went bow waving out of the area. I then chucked out to the area where the fish had been coming out. I had a good pull and hit a good fish which i walked back and got out of the snaggy area, the fih then kited over to some reed beds, which i really had to put some side strain to try and stop the fish from getting in. The fish turned and then came in closer. It then proceeded to charge up and down the margins until i finally netted it. This fish went 11.06lbs.

The rest of the session was fairly quite, i had 2 more bites from that area one fish dropped the bait and moved out of the area. The other bite i hit the fish and it came up in the water. I walked the fish back, it proceeded to try and get into the snag area. I managed to lead the fish from this area the fish then made a run out to the left to some reeds/sedges the rod then sprang back. On retieving the hook length the line had gone up from the hook. Not good the fish would have been a double.

I moved down after dark to another area i had been baiting i had 1 run on the bitrunner i struck into thin air thats was it for the next few hours i fished.

I will move areas next time

for now tight lines

• 8 months later...

Hello to everyone out there I have been online to put any new information for a long time. Basically I fished until the end of 2012 and then only fished a few times the lakes and rivers I was fishing. Due to the long summer we had last year up to mid march 2013 we had not had any rain for 3months this had a great effect on the some of the lakes I fished. Waters that previously water and big areas of water dried up to the point that the water was shallow there was not enough oxygen left. So carp perished in great number on a lot of the waters I had been fishing. What few fish that have survived on these waters should grow on and in time will grow big some of the waters will spawn and there will be a lot of carp where there was some big carp before. With this happening it has made it hard to find fish I have tried a few waters, but they have held hardly a lot of fish and they were tricky to catch. I have been back to one water I had fished before, but did not even see a fish. Really after this I had a break from fishing and then have been after salmon from the beaches with varieing degrees of success. Hopefully this spring and summer I going to find some new waters to fish and try and catch a big fish. For now tight lines stokecarper12

• 3 weeks later...

Totally mad couple of weeks I have fished with a friend over from England over the last 3 weeks. We have fished 7 sessions in that time, the fish are here there and everywhere the wind rain and everything has been chucked at us. I have been stalking and legering, baiting different areas we have moved a round a lot and have fished hard. We have had 15 fish to 17.12lbs including 10 doubles and lost 4 fish. This has been my best number of bigger fish since I moved over here. I am working hard to catch a twenty the fish have been spawning last week and then have disappeared, there was about 60 fish thrashing through the silt weed and reeds/ sedge. I know from previous experience that the bigger fish will move into these areas at this time and the bigger fish should hold a round these areas after. But the fish has disappeared I walked a round the lake and find odd pockets of smaller fish, but not the bigger fish. I had a 13.9lbs last night it was so long and I thought I had got an eel on for half the fight. I just could not get the fish in it just held out at range and kept burying its self in the silt.

The fish in other areas seem to only show on the other side of the lake ie topping out for bugs and flies hatching and coming down on the wind they then seem to move over to my side of the lake and are under the surface and bubbling in a shallower area I have taken a 13.9lbs and a 12.13lbs from this area in the last 2 days. I had 1 run and drop back tonight.

I think there are bigger fish it is a matter of trying and catch bigger numbers easier said than done when at times there are no fish showing in the areas. Still great fishing photos to come

tight lines

Happy day I have finally caught a Australian 20 it has taken nearly 5 years of f and on fishing ,500 odd fish and finally I have caught one. Today if went fishing the weather in the morning was good but then turned windy and rain from early afternoon. I fished an area with the wind hacking in towards me I put my first rod in and baited, I put the second rod where I had fish feeding and coming out the other day. The rod had only been out 2minutes I was baiting up when the indicator hit the top and the baitrunner kicked in. The fish when powerful run after run, I managed to stop the fish making the reed and sedge beds. When the fish was close in to netting it looked about 12lbs similar to fish I had had in the week. The fish kept on powering off every time I tried and netted it,but eventually I got the fish in in the net it looked 15plus when I lifted the net I realised I had got a fish 17to18lbs in weight.on the scales it went 21.1lbs a new pb for Australia. Over the next hour I observed other fish moving in and a big fish moving through the silt this was beyond casting distance I kept baiting and saw fish over my baits but did not have any more runs on this rod. On the other rod I had a run and hit into another good fish which 13lbs. I saw other fish a round and cast to them and had one bite, but the fish dropped it my friend had one fish 8.11lbs. Top day enough said

• 3 weeks later...

I have been bought down back to earth, in the last 5 sessions I hooked 2fish on the first visit and played one fish right to near the net it was a fish of 14to 15lbs (estimated), I had done all the hard work of playing the fish in and keeping it out of the snags. on its final small run it moved left and the hook fell out. I moved up to another area and had 1run from this area, where I hooked a fish that felt good it was trieing to get in the reeds when the hook came out. I felt it was not going to be my day, my friend managed 1fish and that was that for the day. Over the next 4 visits I had no runs and on one occasion the fish were spawning moving up and down over my friends rods, but we could not buy a bite. I managed 1 bite on the float at range, but struck into nothing. For a few visits I saw no fish at all May be due to the weather, when they were spawning and then it went colder. I had fish a round me on the last visit and one pull to the top and then the indicator settled back down I thought it was a line bite. When winding in some of the bait was chewed. I will definitely exploring more areas the next time I go.

• 11 months later...

Hello I have not been or put anything down for nearly a year. My fishing after doing so well last year really came to an end, I fished some of the rivers a round my way, but saw nothing and caught nothing. I ended up fishing the coast for the salmon and other fish, the fishing was not over productive, but it is nice to do something else and with lures and soft plastics you can cover a lot of area. Even though the ocean is a massive place. I ended up fishing some of the rivers in the wider area. I managed 1fish of 6lbs 1st cast out to an area I had looked at a few times, but never fished it before. I thought I was going to have a great day, but other than a slight tremble on the rod top, which did not lead to anything. The day was quiet I fished this area a few more times and looked a round and found two fish of under doubles, but they were in such a tight shaggy area it was not worth fishing to. A friend came over from the u.k and we fished another river, which I had heard that had done some good fish. Even though this was a good while a go, the area looks so carp york fishy, but after a few sessions, we had nog seen a fish or had a bite. To try and catch something before my friend went back to a place I had fished before. We managed 15 fish to just under doubles and lost another 10 fish, looking at some of the fish there is potential of a much bigger fish. Really after I had not fished the last 5 months, I have looked a round a few areas, but have not found anything really exciting as yet. For now tight lines stpkecarper12

• 1 year later...

I have not posted for the last two years. I have been fishing and then been having gaps of time of no fishing. I have caught fish bigger than before, but I have not put photos or information on. As places I have mentioned before have been hammered by all sorts of idiots after showed photos. My question for coming back on is has anyone any information on lake Glen Maggie or lake Wellington in relation to fish stocks or locations etc. I am quite happy to share information with genuine carpers and show photos. At the moment I have started to stalk fish I have had 2 12lbs fish to 12.15lbs. My Ozz personal best now is 28.11lbs. For now tight lines stokecarper12