Which spod mix for big carp

I have started to spod now, but I'm not to shore which spod mix I need for big carp. 1 week ago I went down to my local lake and knocked up a little spod mix. It contained

chilly hemp

maize

pellets

monster crab boilies

groundbait.

I landed two carp of 16 lb 3/4 and 15 lb 1/2, but they still seem small. So does anyone know a spod mix that will help catch the bigger ones?

Dylan.

there is no wonder bait that attracts larger carp.

Your mix sounds gd to me, similar to mine but i use also sweetcorn and use 2-3 different types of pellets that give different break down rates.

When spodding i will fish 2 of my rods on it, one will be very close and the other a distance from the area. The one that sits away from the spod mix usually produces the larger fish.

I have started to spod now, but I'm not to shore which spod mix I need for big carp. 1 week ago I went down to my local lake and knocked up a little spod mix. It contained

chilly hemp

maize

pellets

monster crab boilies

groundbait.

I landed two carp of 16 lb 3/4 and 15 lb 1/2, but they still seem small. So does anyone know a spod mix that will help catch the bigger ones?

Dylan.

there is no wonder bait that attracts larger carp.

Your mix sounds gd to me, similar to mine but i use also sweetcorn and use 2-3 different types of pellets that give different break down rates.

When spodding i will fish 2 of my rods on it, one will be very close and the other a distance from the area. The one that sits away from the spod mix usually produces the larger fish.

Have a read of this, but what Welshcarp has said is very true.

There is no wonder Spod mix that attracts big carp alone, and a spod mix may actually be a way of avoiding bigger carp for instant fishing, but over a period of time it may work in your favour (Baiting Pyramid reference Mike Wilson in The Carp Strikes Back by Rod Hutchinson, as well as threads on the forum)

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28418

For bigger carp I have found that smaller amounts of particle with boilies or using just boilies. You'll catch less fish but get bigger ones. Or if you are baiting quite a big patch of particles or mix then stick one single hookbait just off the area as it is said that bigger fish hold back from baited areas rather than scoffing like the less experienced fish might do which you seem to be catching.

When putting together a spod mix try to think how you want the mix to behave as opposed to what it will attract. The conditions and the lake (river, resevoir ect ect ect) will have an impact on this. What depth are you fishing in? Will a mix consisting of smaller, lighter particles make it to the bottom accurately over deeper spots. Have you experienced undertow on your water? If so, maybe you'll want a heavier stodgier mix.

Or, do the rigs that you are using lend themselves to a bigger spread of bait anyway. Are you looking to make the carp move in between mouthfuls or are you looking for them to feed over a tight, small area?

Also, what is the topography like in the immediate vicinity of your hookbait? Imagine your hookbait is sitting on top of a gravel bar in 4 foot of water. The bottom slopes quickly down to 12 foot of water to the one side of the bar, and to 8 foot the other side. Should your mix spread on the way through the water column due to it's light nature or undertow (or a combination of both plus other factors) you may find that you are spreading baits over different bottom make ups and considerably different depths. This could in turn mean fish feeding some considerable distance from your hookbait.

However, if spodding for instance over a silty bottom that is flat over a large distance in every direction then maybe your bait spreading over larger distances wont be of so much of a concern to you.

This all of course assumes that your spodding is accurate in the first place.

Also, consider whether your spot is flat or sloping. If fishing the side of a bar for instance, then maybe including whole round boilies would not be of much use. Chops would of course stand a better chance of staying still on a sloping surface, and not rolling down to the base of the bar (possibly many many feet from your hookbait).

I've only touched the surface in this post but i'm merely trying to impart on you that a little thought goes a very long way. It's the same as everything else in carp fishing. For every single descision you make, ask yourself why.

Tight lines mate