catching with bread...?

paulsmith6

fished my local pond at weekend, caight 2 fair size carp, (boilies) opposite was an old guy dragging the carp in one after another, unreal using a large lump of bread, no float just casted his line out, now everytime i tried hooking bread, (uncut loaf crust)bread kept coming off after been attacked by the carp has anyone any idea how you keep the bread on a hook without it falling off, this old guy made it look so so easy,, (im new to fishing so please no fancy fishing words) cheers wait anxiously..........paul scunny :D

Guest Anonymous

Tear off a piece of bread 1-2" square, lay the shank of the hook across it, fold it round & 'pinch' the bread so it grabs the shank. that'll leave the point of the hook exposed & some nice fluffy bread to disguise it..... Fish On Dave! :D

Ok, im going to give up a secret of mine..........take a big pinch of soft flake and squeeze it and mould it to get rid of any air then roll it into a boillie shape and hair rig it :wink: if you get it right it will stay on the hair for about half hour, can be devastating on some ponds

Ok, im going to give up a secret of mine..........take a big pinch of soft flake and squeeze it and mould it to get rid of any air then roll it into a boillie shape and hair rig it :wink: if you get it right it will stay on the hair for about half hour, can be devastating on some ponds

And that will float :shock:

As aboce really tear off a section and fold it around the shank, leaving the edges fluffy.

A little tip for you as you sound new to fishing on the surface. Get them feeding confidently for a wile then overcast the bread and slowly reel it into position of the feeding fish. Also just wait a few sec when the fish takes the bread as so many people strike a tad early and can pull the hook out of the carps mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jules is right though, bread ball boilies are an excellent bait on some lakes especially freelined in the shallows 8)

My son and I once tore a pool apart using legered bread. We were the only people to catch, out of maybe 6 anglers, and did we catch!

There's always a small loaf in my bait bucket. One of the universally popular baits, in my opinion.

Ian.

I learnt a very good trick for SURFACE fishing for carp with bread and certainly one where you can cast a long long way repeatedly without it coming off, not only that but the carp seem far less nervous at having a good old nosh on it! Possibly because they dont see it that often.

Its tried and tested by me and has accounted for some good fish.

Use a very cheap, thin sliced white bread. TESCO'S own is the one iv found to be best. The more squidgy it is the better. I use scissors and cut the crust off completly. So your left with the nice tasty looking bit!

Cut that in half again or in to whatever size peice you require, i find half a slice works well as you have a little more weight for casting.

I use a minimum size 6 hook as the hook is totally hidden.

Right the bit where I explain how you do it! haha

what your trying to achieve is having the hook completely free from any crushed bread so the hook potential is better!

Lay the hook in the bread at the bottom as if your going to roll a pancake, sqeeze both ends of the bread on the line and just below the hook, roll up gently. When you get to the end squeeze all along the edge quite hard to make a parcel. Make sure the ends are squeezed to and its ready to rock and roll! This method still aloows the bread to look all fluffy and appealing to them but secures the hook inside very well, leaving it free for a good hook hold!

I allways freeline this with an 8lb leader so's not to spook the fish!

Hope this helps. :)

A trick I use for ledgering bread is get a small white cable tie. tie your hair rig with a short hair. flatten the bread and roll it up like a sausage. Then thread the cable tie through the loop in the hair and tighten it round the sausage(bread) then fold the tag end over to conceal the hooks shank. This will cast any distance and stay on the hair for hours!!! Good luck all. hope this makes sense.

• 6 years later...

I use a full slice and remove the crust,I put the hook over one edge ( not in the edge) down the centre of the slice then I fold the slice up and squeeze the end where the line comes out  about 3/4 up the length and leave the end fluffy where the hook is. I can cast this free lined quite far, further by holding some line out with my free hand.

the fluffy end floats and the squeezed end tilts down into the water, I've caught a few while being distracted.....its self hooking, as I didn't strike.