leighton pools wolverhampton

Maybe the water too tough for the angler lol. Its funny when people dont catch and moan about weed in the water they say that the pool is rubbish.

Exactly my point mate. Just because it's called a specimen water doesn't mean you'll haul out 20's all day long, it just means there's some nice fish in there that are worth having a crack at, even if it takes a while :wink:

If at first you don't succeed, give up? :lol:

I'm glad that i didn't give up quite so easily. It's been a few years since i've been a regular there, but Leighton was the first pool to captivate me when i was learning the basics of carping. My first 5 sessions all resulted in a blank, but it didn't matter, it's a beautiful little water & i loved just being there.

I've since gone on to bank most of the residents there & i've never seen a deformed mouth. I didn't catch anything below 12lbs either, perhaps i was just lucky.

Leighton isn't an easy water, but it's not rock hard either, if you're up to the challenge.

I've only fished it once in March 2005 when i brought all my carp gear and switched over from coarse fishing to carp fishing. Didnt really expect to catch as the pool was half frooze when i got there lol. To make matters worse it snowed in the night too and i frooze my tats off. Still it was a nice pool back then in winter.

we fished along with 3 other anglers a total of 13 rods 13 differant baits and one of the guys i spoke 2 says he fished ther regularly and that it has gone downhill with regard to weed you snag on every cast am only passing on what i was told i fished and blanked same as my mate the 2 guys that night fished only had 1 all night quite frankly go fish it and see for yourselves then my peg was falling apart,i watched the block pull the fish out i was there it had no lips i suggest that before i am slated for miss informing go and fish it but when your told you need to book 2 weeks in advance and get there to find an empty pool bar 2 others when there are 9 pegs is a joke so as i say go ahead fish there yourself and make up your own mind

Maybe the water too tough for the angler lol. Its funny when people dont catch and moan about weed in the water they say that the pool is rubbish.

Exactly my point mate. Just because it's called a specimen water doesn't mean you'll haul out 20's all day long, it just means there's some nice fish in there that are worth having a crack at, even if it takes a while :wink:

as i said i dont mind not catching its just if there is an inch thick of algae on the top and it smells stagnant believe me far worse than it should all the bait that we took where recommended by the owner on the phone and some we took that we always use and in 12 hours nowt oh well judge it how you may but i suggest you go and fish it before you judge me!!!

we fished along with 3 other anglers a total of 13 rods 13 differant baits and one of the guys i spoke 2 says he fished ther regularly and that it has gone downhill with regard to weed you snag on every cast am only passing on what i was told i fished and blanked same as my mate the 2 guys that night fished only had 1 all night quite frankly go fish it and see for yourselves then my peg was falling apart,i watched the block pull the fish out i was there it had no lips i suggest that before i am slated for miss informing go and fish it but when your told you need to book 2 weeks in advance and get there to find an empty pool bar 2 others when there are 9 pegs is a joke so as i say go ahead fish there yourself and make up your own mind

I do fish there myself, so I think I can offer an opinion :wink: I've never booked 2 weeks in advance, it's normally just the night before if I fancy going over.

Having 13 lines in the water may go some way to explaining why it wasn't fishing well, I try and go mid-week so it's pretty much only me on there. Considering the size of the water, 13 lines across it isn't the best.

With regard to snagging up in the weed, drop-off leads inside solid PVA bags works for me, especially when chucked into gaps in the pads/weed.

Guy - I'm tempted when I come back up, time to dig the thermals out for a night I think :D

I do fish there myself, so I think I can offer an opinion :wink: I've never booked 2 weeks in advance, it's normally just the night before if I fancy going over.

Having 13 lines in the water may go some way to explaining why it wasn't fishing well, I try and go mid-week so it's pretty much only me on there. Considering the size of the water, 13 lines across it isn't the best.

With regard to snagging up in the weed, drop-off leads inside solid PVA bags works for me, especially when chucked into gaps in the pads/weed.

Guy - I'm tempted when I come back up, time to dig the thermals out for a night I think :D

well if poss let me know then and you can tell me what i'm doing wrong :)

OK fine i say I'll give it another go if some one with more experience of the pool is up for a meet and giving me the lessons i need then my opinion may change if that is the case i unreservedly apologize and ask for this thread to be ignored but is there any one willing to meet there and give some tuition on that particular pool?????

as for the carp with no lips i wish i took a picture honestly i don't mind not catching it happens we tried everything we could think of maybe there is to much natural food in there.

oh and if on peg 1 be aware of the hornets nest bloody big things lol

p.s i have amended the original post so please lay off guys :)

Thermals? You wuss :lol: We'll have to have a mini social there :wink:

Some of us aren't as insulated as others mate :wink::lol: :lol: :twisted: Sounds like a plan to me, I'll be back for Xmas and gagging to get the rods out, there's only so much sea fishing I'll be able to take!

You dont need to book 2 weeks in advance before you go what so ever mate, it can be safe to if there are certain pegs you want but thats all. Whatever bait the owners told you to bring does`nt guarantee your going to catch what so ever either. Leightons a gorgeous pool and ive personally never seen a bad looking fish come out of there, every ones been a beaut, as for the fish with no lips, if youve taken a picture cant you post it on this thread, id like to see it, if it is true id say its got to be the only one in there like that.

You dont need to book 2 weeks in advance before you go what so ever mate, it can be safe to if there are certain pegs you want but thats all. Whatever bait the owners told you to bring does`nt guarantee your going to catch what so ever either. Leightons a gorgeous pool and ive personally never seen a bad looking fish come out of there, every ones been a beaut, as for the fish with no lips, if youve taken a picture cant you post it on this thread, id like to see it, if it is true id say its got to be the only one in there like that.

dude chill i said i wished i'd took a picture trust me i know what i saw granted it was obviously a bad judgment on my part as i only saw 1 carp oh and a small perch as i said you all have faith in the pool so as i said i will go again if anybody can advise on some tactics as for the 2 week booking that is what i was told when i rang there mate i can only say what i was told on the phone that due to how busy the pools are 2 weeks notice required

dude chill i said i wished i'd took a picture trust me i know what i saw granted it was obviously a bad judgment on my part as i only saw 1 carp oh and a small perch as i said you all have faith in the pool so as i said i will go again if anybody can advise on some tactics as for the 2 week booking that is what i was told when i rang there mate i can only say what i was told on the phone that due to how busy the pools are 2 weeks notice required

No need to chill just putting you in the clear mate, as for tips, like a few have already said dont be afraid to fish into the pads, there not that strong at all and if you look closely enough you`ll see plenty of fish about, especially in the pads :)