Bosmere FMS

alanp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i fish bosmere hard water not many fish but i liked it till the rule changes. the biggest ive seen out is 28lb. no such luck on my behalf though. if you fish the car park end towards the lilleys you will have some cracking tench and eventually the carp do show there. but you will find more often than not when you wake at 4am on a nice summer mornng the fish are on the oppisite bank the closest swim to that area about 100 yards away, the swim to your right at the hall end.

the other thing with the club if you want to catch fish on short time the thwaite lakes are good fish to mid doubles. had over 250lb of fish in 6 hours of fishing be warned you only need one rod there, twos a hand full.

The barbless hook rule, no litter rule are most certainly written in stone mate, I will take your ticket for those two, sorry but one is to protect the fish and the other to protect the water for us as any land owner would not appreciate litter on his/her property, someone has been littering badly down there this year and throwing it in bushes certainly doesn't mean it is hidden. Also no nuts, excessive baiting and pre baiting are not appreciated either, excessive baiting due to the silty nature of the water, this place is known for it's fish kills on a regular basis, it has had one most decades, the last was probably 6yrs ago, this is due to oxygen problems caused by the enclosed nature, silt chewing the oxygen etc, bait used in stupidly large quantity's doesn't help this, small particles and pellets are not too bad as the thriving silver fish population devours them but all the same take it easy. The use of the boat is restricted to bailifs only, I will pull tickets if anglers are seen afloat in it unless there is a tethered fish, it goes without saying though that a lifejacket is to be worn.

Tucker, how long have you been a member then as although personal commitments have prevented me from putting in as much time as i'd like over the last 18 months (I've spent more time tidying up than fishing, only for it to flood again :( ) I am wondering whether I have seen you there, that fish hasn't been on the bank for nearly 8ys as far as I'm aware, just hope she is still with us.

Bob,

Thanks for that - rules don't seem unreasonable to me.

My comment was based on what I got told in Viscount Tackle - common sense, set by anglers for anglers etc. etc.

When it dries up a bit I'll have a look round, at the moment I'd probabaly need the boat I should think :)

Dry up........ :lol: The place has been like that for the past 2yrs now, and unless you know something we don't about an imminent heatwave this year, then I can't see it changing any time soon, my solution would be to pump the lake as we have at least 2' above normal winter levels, this would also double as an aerator, the wind driven one is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, when myself and the landowner first built the solid swims there they were probably an easy 18" above water level, since then we have added another log to the height of them at least.

It is a nightmare at the mo and due to personal commitments I am finding it hard to put as much time as I'd like in on there, plus all I can really do on my own is tidy up after floods, hopefully I can get something organised with work parties this year, fingers crossed. even still with the high water, I have been fishing with welly's and managed to get on ok, not ideal but still at least it is fishable, and although not monsters the fish are immaculate so worth the hassle, and I would like to get more anglers on there as this equals more bait which the fish respond to, the excessive baiting rule does apply as when the lake has a few guys fishing on there as it can get silly, while it isn't being fished heavily I can be reasonably flexible but it just hasn't got the head of fish for all anglers to put like 5 or 10kg in over a weekend, though the tench will have a good try...lol

I think you'll find a canoe would be more effective for navigating the paths at the mo.....

The rules aren't unreasonable, your right, they are there for the fish, us and the landowner at the end of the day, the no prebaiting rule was put into place due to abuse which allot of anglers felt was unfair on them and felt it was ruining their chances. :lol:

carnt somthing be done about these fish kills if its the oxygen levels in the water and you say the aireator isnt working properly shorly thats neglect somthing needs to be done about it what about the people fishing it are they to expect to lose fish every 10 years.And why arnt the trees cleared and thinned out to produce better water quality the swims need raising 2 or 3 feet lets face it the swims arnt great there wet ALL the time and there isnt that many fishable swims and now the rules far enough rules are there to be followed i understand that but how can these rules be followed when if you say 1 person can put more bait in what message is this sending out to other anglers 1 rule for 1 1 for another.I no this seems like a rant but this place could be a little gem if looked after properly its got history an everything a carper could want if moulded and pushed in the right direction it could be one of the better waters in suffolk.

carnt somthing be done about these fish kills if its the oxygen levels in the water and you say the aireator isnt working properly shorly thats neglect somthing needs to be done about it what about the people fishing it are they to expect to lose fish every 10 years.And why arnt the trees cleared and thinned out to produce better water quality the swims need raising 2 or 3 feet lets face it the swims arnt great there wet ALL the time and there isnt that many fishable swims and now the rules far enough rules are there to be followed i understand that but how can these rules be followed when if you say 1 person can put more bait in what message is this sending out to other anglers 1 rule for 1 1 for another.I no this seems like a rant but this place could be a little gem if looked after properly its got history an everything a carper could want if moulded and pushed in the right direction it could be one of the better waters in suffolk.

The aerator gets has been a problem for ages, it gets repaired, and then a few years later it packs in again. It takes ages to make the parts for it

I think that due to the site and the landowner the aerator is unable to be changed.

As for the swims, they are under constant erosion. They get raised, then a high water level mean that a year or so later it all needs to be done again. I know how much effort goes into the work on the swims.

It is on Private land and the owner doesn't want the trees cleared, he allows fishing, and does some of the work himself. There is a Public footpath around 1 side of the lake.

As for the heavy baiting, I believe that a couple of members had tickets pulled by bailiffs in the past, but unless the bailiffs see it happen they can't do anything afterwards.

It is looked after as properly as time, money and materials allow. Its under constant erosion, and that takes a lot of work, not just an hour here or there, but constant work, almost full time. Unfortunately anglers being anglers don't have that spare time. They have lives and jobs. It is a "syndicate" in a way, not a Day Ticket water, and so the money is not available to be spent on it.

To be honest I would thank your lucky stars that it is fishable at all, as in the mid to late 80's and early 90's for a while it was lost to fishing totally.

Cheers Nick, pretty much hit the nail on the head, we are lucky to fish it, and your right, the place is ancient so no the trees will not be cut down willy nilly, some have been removed to a; supply materials for the solid swims, b; to make gaps for the prevailing winds to get through, they are a part of the place Blank and like it or not, been here a lot longer than you, secondly this is the landowners 'fence' if you like, they keep the road noise off his land too, how would you like it if someone started to rip your fence down one day???

You are right though the water could be the best water locally if done right but not how you are suggesting, 2' on the swims :shock: , shows what you know of the place, the water levels have come up 2' since we built those swims, we have added 6" to the height due to the monsoon weather we have had the last 2 years, the first time we revert to "normal" weather then we will start to lose the water level, if you raised the swims we would be pier fishing.. :lol: , second to that, had me and the landowner not built these swims then there would only be 3 fishable ones, they were blooming hard work.

Regards to the aerator, tbh Nick it never has worked as intended, as the time we have a fish kill is in the very hot, still weather, it never worked either when it was fixed, they took the brakes off when they replaced it and the thing span like hell but I have never seen it agitate the water, in my honest opinion we need a pump and irrigation licence. That will solve 2 problems, firstly the water levels and secondly the oxygenation problem. I may add though that there is nothing wrong with the QUALITY of the water Blank, just the oxygen content, when testing the water in the past the tests revealed perfect nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels ppm and the PH is absolutely spot on for Carp.

Blank, you really need to read posts before ranting....Quote myself..... the excessive baiting rule does apply as when the lake has a few guys fishing on there as it can get silly, while it isn't being fished heavily I can be reasonably flexible but it just hasn't got the head of fish for all anglers to put like 5 or 10kg in over a weekend.........HOW???? is this one rule for one and one for others????? It encompasses all anglers fishing the lake be they 3 anglers or 20.

By the way I am not the person you need to take it out on, I do what I can, and yes it does put a lump in my throat to see the place like this.

Rob

The other thing about the lake is that this is the first year in a while that the water table has been up to its "normal" level. For a number of years we have had some very dry summers and winters, so the natural water level has been low, and the ground has soaked up the rain that we have had.

As a result the extra precipitation from the past year or so, can't soak away into the ground, and the river can't be used to take out the excess as it is currently higher than the lake.

Those swims that Bob has worked on are actually the right height for a normal water table, when the water is able to soak away as it should :wink:

I've even taken my son into the swim right next to the outflow stream and was able to set-up right next to it with not even getting my trainers wet. Yet now I think I would need waders to get onto that swim (if the rushes haven't taken it back over yet)

As for trees, I can remember a bailiff who was worried when he came into a swim where I had tied the branch back. He thought I had cut them down, was mighty relieved when I showed him the bailing twine.

• 3 weeks later...

I havent been to bosmere yet.Was thinking of giving it a go tomorrow but might wait till it dries out a bit.Will probably have a walk round in the morning though.Ill have a trip to thwaite or maybe hill farm.Went to thwaite thursday and had 5 carp 2 tench and over a 100 roach,hill farm friday for 4 hours resulted in 2 carp.happy days..Some people complain too much about some lakes but i appreciate the work that is done.For £80 a year with the choice of lakes in my opinion is good.keep up the good work..cheers jay

Hi Jay, there is no 'running lead only' rule that I am aware of, I really don't know where this has come from, if it has come from the top then as bailiff I have had no correspondence regarding this, so I will not enforce it, as long as leads are not fixed and are set up properly there is no problem, the barbless hook rule makes sure of this, please tell me who informed you of this as there are a couple of other supposed rule changes made last year that did not exist.

Having said that I will double check with the club, but the bailiff who wrote the rule sheet in the main CP also said there was no running rig only rule.

Swims are still covered in water but it is not a case of having to use waders now, normal boots are good enough........last time I looked anyway.

Good luck.

Rob

• 3 months later...

Hi fella's, my self and my 2 fishing buddies have been looking at Bosmere carp lake in needham but getting very mixed reports from locals (or the lack of em) i know its an FMS water but 2 people weve spoken to about it were not hardend Carp Anglers so could not offer too much advice about what is in the lake, although i know its apparently a hard water for carpers, (im accustomed to this type of fishing) problem is we cannot get any info about what is in the lake, to be honest its only £80 a year but i dont wanna pay to fish a water full of 5 pounders.

Does anyone know how many fish are in there and what sizes they go to?

We did spend 4 hours there a few days ago just looking at the water, luckily the sun was out and we were able to see a few fish, however we saw nothing over the 8-10lb mark so im concerned as we have heard sketchy reports of the water holding 30's or fish pushing that magic weight, could this be true or are just having out legs pulled?

Any light shed on this would be great, and i mean any advice no matter how small will be very appreciated.

Thanks alot guys/gals.

hi mate.There are some 20s in there and a 30 came out a few weeks ago.Havent fished it yet but going down in a few weeks for a weekend to give it a go.The baliff showed me some pics of quite a few 20s hes had out and yes it is meant to be a hard water being very silty.Its in the doomsday books so has been there a while.If you dont mind tench there are double figure tench in there.For the £80 you get 3 lakes at thwaite with lake 2 holding carp over 20,lake 1 up to 15 and lake 3 just small stuff.Hill farm is good fun.i had 37 carp out in 5 hours on monday the biggest being just over 10lb.The 2 lakes at akenham fruit farm were holding carp to 18 but its being restocked soon due to a lot of fish deaths with lack of oxygen and has fished very poorly this year.Hopes this helps and if you go to bosmere let me know how you get on.For the money to join fms its well worth it.jay

dunno john at viscount got a call a few weeks ago and the fella told him he had had a 30 dead on out.One of my mates used to fish it about 7 or 8 years ago and he had a 36 out.It doesnt get fished enough so the weights have gone down but i know of quite a few mid 20s that have come out so if the feed goes in theres no reason they shoulnt put on weight.I dont think there are that many carp in there but for 80 quid for the year you cant go wrong..

I think the main problem there is the silt.No one knows how much silt is in there but you can imagine over a 1000 years worth :shock: .Some fish dont get caught in lakes for years but it doesnt mean they are not in there.The onlt way to find out is to fish it.Then that still doesnt guarentee they will be caught.Time on the bank is time well spent even if you blank :D .If you want any more info bobthebaliff is on here and he is the baliff at bosmere and has some lovely pics of carp he has had out.

• 3 weeks later...

lol........30.....no chance, remember John at Viscount has share in FMS Ltd, I have had pretty much every fish out of there, apart from the 33lb wels that will be reported to the EA once I have personally confirmed it.

Yes jay, hello again, there are some real pretty 20's in there, I counted 7 when I last fished it properly, since then the regulars have dribbled away bit by bit and now due to very little bait going in the fish have lost between 2-3lb, so a few will struggle to make 20 this year. The biggest I have had out was 25-05, this was out a couple of weeks back at 22lb, though a young lad showed me pics of it from early in the year convinced it was 29lb, but weighed it on a set of old spring scales so I enlightened him on that one, and some guys that were floater fishing had it out at the weight I suspected it would be near going by the weights of the other 20's I have had during last autumn.

As for the fish a approx. 8yrs ago, it is the lake record still to this day I beleive, and came out at 28lb, around a month prior to this there was a 27lber out, both fish haven't been seen since.

As for stock guys, other than the 20's, there are probably around 30 fish from upper single to double figures.

The maintenance I wanted to get done and the working parties I have tried to get the go ahead for are going to be a no go, I asked, but got straight no's, unfortunately, though there is rumour of the land owner building 3-4 more solid swims later in the year, though I have had no information passed to me about this, but until then my hands are tied.

Sorry 4seasons, got carried away with the fish stock side of things......lol

Guys who have got the key info have worked long and hard for it so it doesn't come easy, I will give you some that will be of benefit to you the other anglers and also, the fish, High quality food baits, the fish will get on it, you will catch the fish will benefit and so will all the other anglers and yourselves by the weight gains that will come with it, Jay is right, if there were enough anglers on there and the grub went in there readily enough and long enough, then maybe one day bozzy will do that magic 30. It frustrates me that there is so much wasted potential in there.

Be prepared for the tench though :D , and the bream are starting to make a come back after the fish kill due to an oxygen crash 6yrs ago (that's old silty waters for you), it is also sensible not to pile the boilies in as there are few carp, but particle and pellet use plenty (within reason), the smaller fish will have the left overs.

One big thing though.......Barbless hooks, fish have been towing tackle.

• 3 months later...

The swim work has been started by the land owner now, I am a little worried by the height of some of Badgers, havn't had the chance to have a look at the others, but only another hot, dry summer will highlight that, looking promising though, I am gonna get down there and sort out the walkway to suicide (double boards) soon if the land owner doesn't intend to rip it out too soon.

Could be some major changes down there, so watch this space :D

• 4 weeks later...