Locating carp?

samytee

Ive read in a lot of articles and different people have told me that locating the carp is the key, and i know it is true.

However these articles say, "look for bubbles", "look for tail paterns" "look for clouds of silt" and "look for fish jumping" etc. Thats all well and good and has caught me many fish in a few small lakes near me.

But what about when you are on a masive open stretch of water, where there is a constant ripple, theres no way of spotting bubbles, and youve got to be very lucky if you happen to be looking in the right spot at the right time when a fish jumps out the water.

Am i missing something here?

Many times it can take several hours to locate carp, so don't worry too much if you are not spotting the signs straight away. If the water is rippled look on the surface for flat spots of water, and depending on the shape will tell you the direction the carp is facing also, i.e half moon shape the carp is moving with the wind, and eliptical shape it is moving against the wind.

Sometimes as you know , there are no signs and then it is down to how well you know the lake :D

Many times it can take several hours to locate carp, so don't worry too much if you are not spotting the signs straight away. If the water is rippled look on the surface for flat spots of water, and depending on the shape will tell you the direction the carp is facing also, i.e half moon shape the carp is moving with the wind, and eliptical shape it is moving against the wind.

Sometimes as you know , there are no signs and then it is down to how well you know the lake :D

And following your hunches or the 6th sense :wink:

Some are better than others at that as well.

Is this any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38633

I think that if you are really struggling to find the fish at times, then a certain amount of it can be taken out by doing the hard work and effort that Jake made to put in to catch his fish.

There are probably loads of threads about "locating carp", and many or most really cover the visible signs, but if those signs aren't there or due to weather, time of day or night you can't interpret them, then there is no proper answer, and you have to back that up with watercraft and experience.