Losing Fish, how do you get over it?

salokcinnodrog

I usually take a deep breath and then tackle up and get back on them, then I relive the event over and over in my head and quietly go nuts :D

Thats pretty much what im like, all i can keep picturing was how the bobbin was jammed up to the rod and all i could hear was a one toner and the rod tip bent round, then that goes and happens and i think of absolutely everything from flying backlead to hair stop to try and figure out what was wrong. Then i crack a beer open :shock: . Even when i catch after it i cant forget about it, the first time i caught a 20 i also lost one the same day, all the next week at work all i could think about was the one i lost, mental :lol:

Havent broke my cherry yet with regards to catching my first carp but i have had a taste of losing one. I have only been fishing 4 times ever, all of these times in the last month. My first experience of the power of a carp came at 6.20am a couple of fridays ago, i came running out of the bivi to the sound of the alarm buzzing, i thought i had reacted quickly but my brother in-law was already there ready to land it incase i hadnt woken up (he did have a slightly gutted look, with a grin, that i had woken up and denied him lol). This experience of reeling in a carp was completely new and one that will remain in my head for ever, not in a negative way though. I had reeled the fish into about 5 metres away from me, my bro in-law put the net in water ready, i thought i was doing well, then in a an instant, line starting whizzing out of the reel at the same time as i was trying to reel it in, again this was a new experience. I asked, " whats happening mate", not really grasping what the situation was all about, to which i got the reply of, "youve just experienced your first hook pull, the fish didnt wanna come in". I was quite deflated at loosing the fish at the time and also a little shock at there power. We went over the possible mistakes that i made in the process of reeling, the main one being that i was a little to keen in reeling in, could have played the fish longer, maybe there were others as well. My bro in-law said it could have been the biggest fish in lake, he followed that up with, everyone says the one that gets away is always the biggest. Well i remain keen and confident for the next time.

Usually the first thought is "what did I do wrong" because thats usually where the problem lies.

Pre tied rigs that are old and weak, knots tied in a hurry, not paying proper attention to the surrounds, not putting in the effort to plumb the area and work out what is where, not keeping equipment in proper maintenance, incorrect drag setting, not focusing on the fight, incorrect line weight for the environment, using two hooks (the fish drags the free hook into a snag and swims off), trying to rush things, trying to 'lift' the fish and not having the landing equipment laid out correctly ahead of time are just some of the things I've had to correct.

If you look at it closely enough 99% of the time its the anglers fault, 1% it's just bad luck. Lessons for next time...

How do I get over it? Don't make the mistake again.

hang my head in shame! and blame myself! and then wind in, bait up and get over it. Then wack out my rod again. Every tried casting when stressed? it always seems to go alot further :twisted:

But yeah hook pulls are terrible! few weeks back, i waited 8hours for 1 run, was playing the fish for about 10minutes, took me in the weeds and out. Got it on the surface, was just about ready, reached for net and GONE! was so GUTTED! :( but thats life!

and i agree what they say, its called fishing not catching! but now i appreciate every fish i bag, regardless of the size!

well firstly, i prefer to just stand there, starring into the abyss. after around 3 hours of staring into the water like a lunatic it can go one of 2 ways, i'll either reach for the harpoon gun and dive in screaming. Otherwise I swalloww it down deep deep down and absorb it, then take it out on everyonee else 33 months down the line when it all gets too much. :lol:

went for a day session yesterday only a small lake with about 10 wild carp in there. sat there from 8 in the morning not getting a take up until 5:30 in the evening.

struck into it and was saying in my head its about time, the carp starting taring off and my whole rig came off, was gutted, must of been a dodgy knot or something.

eventually got over it and put it back out on the same spot 30 mins later goes off again strike expecting it to tare off like the last one it being a wild carp but it didn't and took me about a minute to land it was only about 10lb but i didn't really care :lol:

and i was using a safe rig with the carp i lost so it should be fine

I'm not one for throwing the rod or poncing about in a "Danny Fairbrass/ constipated bear in a foul mood" style. A few choice words strung together, followed by a cup of tea and a smoke whilst I figure out what went wrong and how to rectify it. Then I shoot a rat or two and it cheers me right up :D

We've got an Englishman who's a tremendous carper, guide, tutor and motivater. When someone loses a fish, he screams, "Why were you weak!!"

After having a couple steam straight out and break off I realized I had to loosen the drag a bit and that saved the next few, which were indeed larger so it pays to try to fix what isn't working. Tackle costs too much to throw; don't even think about it.

The easy way out is to start a story that there's a season when the carps' mouths get soft and it's very difficult to get a good hook-set. If everyone sticks to his story it should fly.

sent from my wireless blah blah blah

Ok, so you are fishing a lake that contains fish that are likely to be well over your largest fish, or are targetting a particular fish, and you lose a fish that you have seen, and know is the "one" you were after; how do you cope with that?

I know that I examine the hooks to check the point was sharp, and the end of the line to find out where or why it broke.

The main reason I asked is that I think that shorter hooklinks are responsible for more hookpulls, especially if its just "lobbed" out with a pva bag and no other free bait around the hookbait. I wondered if anyone would actually look at and analyse the fishing scenario and try to change it.

If I lose a fish I do not swear, throw the rod down or throw teddy in the corner, I simply do not have the time.

The instant I lose a fish I start to analyze what I have done wrong.

If I find that it is due to a hook pull, then I will change my setup, I do not wait for it to happen again.

If my line parts on an underwater obstruction I change my line there and then.

I can truly say I do not get annoyed by losing fish as to me it is part and parcel of the game of chess that we call angling and it is my poor move that has resulted in me losing a pawn, king or queen.

Frank

ok here goes,

i used to get right angry at losing fish, but not any more

about 2 years back i was fishing my local syndicate water and i was having a real bad day, found just about every snag, had to keep on re tying my tacke, the fish were being shy but eventually managed to hook one and you guessed it, the hook pulled, and yes i chucked the rod on the ground :oops: end result on bent handle on my beloved 850 reel (cant be replaced)

so i now have a permanent reminder every time i turn the handle on that rod

last hook pull i had was at emmotland in july, it was a definate pb, a really big fish, but i rolled a cig made a brew and looked at my set up to see if i had done any thing wrong, but just bad luck!

i always check the last 10 ft of mainline for damage before i tackle up and i dont seem to get many snap of`s