Losing Fish, how do you get over it?

salokcinnodrog

Thought I'd start another one being as it is likely to be something to affect us all at some time.

There is NEVER going to be an angler who catches every fish he hooks, even though we do the best we can to minimise the chances of it happening. Sorry Carpcatcher1995, that is a fact! :wink:

Do you react differently if you lose a fish to a hookpull as you do with a snap-off?

Do you throw the rod down in a strop, or just go for a wander, and work out what you are doing wrong?

How do you get over the annoyance of losing fish? How do you put it right that you cut down the losses?

Never throw the rod to the floor - I know how much I've paid for them and the captures I've had on them. :D

The better angler analyses it - there are certain rigs/presentations that seem to put a higher percentage of the fish on the bank, other factors - such as the line angle :) play a significant part.

Bottom line - we can all expect to lose the odd fish - one can be unfortunate, two on the bounce should be starting to ring serious alarm bells - three and it's really time to get a grip.

The worst time this has happened to me, i had the fishes mouth out the water, just edging it toward the net....... then net mesh got caught on a branch or something in the margin and i couldnt lift the net into the fish........... in all the commotion the hook slipped and my rod straightened out..... but fish layed there on its side, as if it was still hooked, i franticly tried to free the net and scoop it... but in the blink of an eye it up-righted and slowly swam off into the depths

Gutted...... that image will stay with me forever, the PB ghostie that got away

The worst time this has happened to me, i had the fishes mouth out the water, just edging it toward the net....... then net mesh got caught on a branch or something in the margin and i couldnt lift the net into the fish........... in all the commotion the hook slipped and my rod straightened out..... but fish layed there on its side, as if it was still hooked, i franticly tried to free the net and scoop it... but in the blink of an eye it up-righted and slowly swam off into the depths

Gutted...... that image will stay with me forever, the PB ghostie that got away

theyre all PBs when they get away,all lake records :wink::lol:

Never throw the rod to the floor - I know how much I've paid for them and the captures I've had on them. :D

The better angler analyses it - there are certain rigs/presentations that seem to put a higher percentage of the fish on the bank, other factors - such as the line angle :) play a significant part.

Bottom line - we can all expect to lose the odd fish - one can be unfortunate, two on the bounce should be starting to ring serious alarm bells - three and it's really time to get a grip.

Somebody knows me! :lol::lol:

I used to be a drop the rod in disgust, and go headbang a tree or kick a magpie person, but I've actually calmed down now. :shock:

Now its a case of think about what I'm doing, why I'm losing fish, or how I'm losing them.

So far this year after years of not losing a fish to a snap-off I've lost a few to line breaks in the snags, and a couple to hookpulls (which you may find you do every now and again anyway :shock: ).

The hookpulls I stop and think about as well, are they due to the fish not picking up the bait and hook properly, or did I pull too hard and force the hook to pop out of the mouth?

I decided that since I have examined all the other hookholds on the fish I caught on the lake, (some of the fish I had to cut the hook in half to remove it), that the 2 hookpulls I have had have been down to me putting too much pressure on the fish.

The lead set-ups I use are simple Running leads so that if I do get a snap off the most the fish is trailing is a rig and a short length of mainline. On the occasions I have pulled for a break I think on most occasions I have had the line break at the mainline swivel join, although a few may have gone further up.

I think Dan knows what fishing we are up against at times as not all waters are easy and his comments ring very true, and definitely the numbers he chose relate to my session this week.

I lost 3 fish this week, the first to a hookpull, the hook bounced out into a branch as well; so I had to pull for a break, the 2nd and 3rd to snags under my feet. The water we are fishing can be a bit hairy. The 1st loss I put down to "Oh well". Basically I pulled too hard to try to get control and gave the hookhold too much. The 2nd loss a bit more annoying, I had a bait to the right of the swim, expecting the fish to take and run outwards into open water, only problem it didn't. It ran to the left and into the snag, and I couldn't get control. The 3rd was from a spot in front, and again, on the take it ran into the snag.

Now those 3 losses put me in a right mood, and the only thing I could do was stop and analyse. I moved into another swim that gave access to the same spot, and changed the line angle. On the take I was immediately pulling the fish away from the problem area. Next 3 takes landed no problems, and all fish scrapped like mad

Thats the easy option, but on that lake it is not always the only one. In another swim you don't have the option to reach the same areas from somewhere else. I have had a number of fish lost to snags from another area. The only thing I could do was NOT to cast so far down the margins. The fish on the take immediately kite into the snags, so you simply don't cast that far.

As for the fish I lost this year, they were all 40+, and all would have been PB's :wink::lol::lol:

Thought I'd start another one being as it is likely to be something to affect us all at some time.

There is NEVER going to be an angler who catches every fish he hooks, even though we do the best we can to minimise the chances of it happening. Sorry Carpcatcher1995, that is a fact! :wink:

Do you react differently if you lose a fish to a hookpull as you do with a snap-off?

Do you throw the rod down in a strop, or just go for a wander, and work out what you are doing wrong?

How do you get over the annoyance of losing fish? How do you put it right that you cut down the losses?

Ill tell you when i lose one :wink: So far 100percent record every carp ive caught has been landed. i put it down to luck more than skill, oh and the fact that ive been carp fishing for just over a year lol

I never throw my rod down I wouldn't want to damage a ring, never kick anything as I don't want to buy another one of whatever i've kicked. Snap offs annoy me more than hookpulls because I have to set the rod back up and i'm a couple of quid down in terminal tackle :lol: I also think a lot then hoping that the safe rig does its job and a fish isn't trailing anything. Hookpulls close to the net annoy me a lot more after i've been playing a fish for 10 minutes than one that drops off 10 seconds into the fight and its worse when you have a glimpse of one so you can see what you've lost.

I just calmly put my rod back out to try and catch another one. I'll then think about it at random times throughout the day but don't get too down over it, lost fish are soon forgotten when you bank a good one.

I don't think i've ever lost anything thats been massive but am sure I lost 2 x 20's on my session before last and that played on my mind for a couple of days.

I wouldn't like to think how annoyed i'd be if I lost a 40lber at the net, there's a small chance i'd be in head first and wrestle it to the bank :shock::lol:

Depends which lake im fishing. On one water where i know the biggest fish isnt my PB if i loose a fish it's a instant recast job and just absorb the loss. If however i lost one on the harder water (thankfully havent yet) im fishing at the moment i would probably retreat to my bivy for a brew and a 10 minute sob before recasting and changing hooks :D

I remember seeing someone throw his rod down in anger after he lost a fish and it snapped the tip, not clever.

truthfully, i dont get stressed about it, i just say a few words along the lines of fornicating down under, if its a pull il check the hook and get on with it ,if it snapped il check some of the line and set it up again

only once have i lost a fish that really got to me, and i was so annoyed with my self as i was to blame i didnt carp fish again for 6 months

it was late september, i got up just before 5am to spod the last of my bait over a spot id been fishing for months , i didnt want anyone on the other side to notice , any i lay on bedchair sipping a tea and zipped the bag up to get nice and warm , iv never have the bag zipped at night or the bivvy door shut so i can get out quick,even if its raining ,i normally run out in my soaks , with the back tilted up slightly i lay watching the sun come up and started to drift off,a few hours later i wast startled by the alarm, id slipped down right to the end of the bag and half a sleep i tried to flick it off forgetting id zipped my self in ,it seemed like a 5 minute fight while i tried to unzip it in a hurry and all this time iv still got a screamer,when i got the rod nearly all the line was out and i could feel the fish but also a horrible grating feeling , half asleep i held the rod as high as poss and tried to get some control but as the singing off the line in the wind got to its highest pitch..........it all went slack and id been cut off on a gravel bar i think . but it was out of my casting distance and hadnt found it with the marker , id been using 8lb mainline and knew if id just stuck to the 15 that was on before i may of landed it ,

i also didnt have much time to fish after that being stuck in hospital but it got to me so much, i lost my drive for carping for a while :cry: