Topping your bait does it really work

mitts

Ok first off hi everyone im new on here this is my first post. Alright to the point now, ive been thinking alot about weather or not topping your baits with bits of fake corn, hi-viz bits of foam or anything really other than just your boilie really works. Some people swear by it. Ive been topping all my baits this season to see if it increases my catch rate but im still yet to catch on my syndicate. Does a carp really home in on the one that stands out amongst the rest of the bait scattered around or does he advoid it because it is the one that stands out and doesnt look natural around your other bait. Just would like to hear other peoples views or experiences.

Mitts

hi welcome to the forum :)

im not sure on this. when i first got some glowing fake corn a few years back ,i upped my rate for nights, but on all other lakes iv used it on since its never worked

just fake corn has had me loads over hemp and corn on some days

fake tigernut with a real one has done the business too over spod

but the connection between them for me, to why it works is lightening the weight of the hook . critically balanced baits get suck up at the same rate or more than a freebie and its this that makes it work well

the is a down side

they can act differently to the other freebies when they get swirled up off the bottom as theyre teathered to the lead and iv found you can foul hook more often then a standard bottom bait

i found that the success of tipping baits varys from lake to lake.

what the baits are tipped with also varys. like every other bait, some work better on different lakes. ive also fished this method and had my bait completely ignored and the freebies picked up. so yes i do believe its possible for a wary carp to avoid a bait that stands out, but because there such inquisitive creatures it will work on certain lakes with certain fish.

I use fake corn to top my boilies on about 80% of my fishing, I always leave it to soak in a glugg for about 2 weeks just to rid it of the plastic smell. I find the plastic corn helps lift the bottom bait slightly to give it a sort of ballanced bait effect. I fish a few waters and it works on all of them. the only time i dont use it is when fishing a popup bait.

Ive caught on 2 pieces of pop up corn over hemp and corn, i always tip my boilies with fake maggot rather than corn. I always go for the opposite colour too, might sound obvious but if ive got a red boilie or dark one on then ill tip it with a yellow maggot, then a lighter coloured boilie i tip it with a red maggot, i have honestly caught plenty doing this, maybe something to do with fishing pools full of bloodworm too, dont know but it definately works for me :D

Ok first off hi everyone im new on here this is my first post. Alright to the point now, ive been thinking alot about weather or not topping your baits with bits of fake corn, hi-viz bits of foam or anything really other than just your boilie really works. Some people swear by it. Ive been topping all my baits this season to see if it increases my catch rate but im still yet to catch on my syndicate. Does a carp really home in on the one that stands out amongst the rest of the bait scattered around or does he advoid it because it is the one that stands out and doesnt look natural around your other bait. Just would like to hear other peoples views or experiences.

Mitts

Firstly a belated welcome to the forum :wink:

I'm never sure on things like this, its a case of horses for courses, or probably how and where you present your bait.

A few years ago I had absolutely no confidence in plastic baits at all, either tipping off or as the hookbait itself, until I played around with a few presentations.

On Thwaite I fished in the Winter and was using half a boilie on the hair and tipped it off with a piece of yellow fake corn, very few freebies around and caught. Without that piece of corn I would not catch on this particular day, so maybe it was the sight factor that the bright piece of corn provided. Yet on other days again, the fish messed with my head and would only take other particular baits and I had to experiment to find them each trip, sometimes it was a Green Zing, a Pineapple and N-butyric or Scopex pop-up over no bait at all.

This year I fished the park lake and piled in a large bed of groundbait (Vitalin mixed with Sweetcorn and Pigeon conditioner) and caught on 2 pieces of fake corn, a yellow childs bead and a yellow bait stop, no "proper" bait on the hair, so I had the fish just accepting everything and "whomping" the feed back. Again at times I also tipped a boilie with fake corn and caught on other sessions.

If you take the "tipping off" further I reckon in the majority of cases that when we fish a snowman set-up, we fish a different top bait to the larger bait on the hair. A bright or over flavoured pop-up over a food source bait or a Shelf life boilie.

Nearly all the fish I have caught since July have come on a snowman presentation and not one of the pop-ups has been the same as my Food Source bait. Smokey Mackeral tipped with Monster crab, Squid and Octopus or a soaked Garlic pop-up.

• 2 months later...

May be its not the fake bate that's catching but perhaps just the fact that the presentation is different. I not saying it is just an i dear that's all. we all know it can catch on mi last session the only thing i could catch on was 3 fake corn ont hair popped up about 2" at the same venue 8 days before they would not look at this and only took peperami.I have know idea what the reason for this was but tha's how it worked I guess that's the challenge of carping.