Stocking of Carp

samytee

Ive just got a leasehold on a lake ...

.... it was dug by the council a few years ago and has no fish in it...

i want to stock it with carp only (is this ok? - ie should i be stocking any predetors or other fishes)

and what is a good strain of carp or a good supplier to use ?

im on a limited budget so i cant afford big carp

thanks for any help/advice

its probably about 6 acres and an average depth of 4 feet

Get a fishery biologist to check it over for the stock viability, get the proper Section 30 consents from the Environment Agency. They will want to check the stock you put in, a couple of the tests may actually require one or two of the stocked fish to be killed for parasite and other tests.

Fish from a good CERTIFICATED Fish Farm are not cheap, I think that for a 20lb Carp you are looking at roughly £450

Beacause of the limited budget im on, im only going to be stocking it with fish 5lb max..... this is a long term investment :)

i definatly need some proffesional help, which is on its way, but in the mean time id like to hear other peoples views

do you think i should stock carp only? or introduce other species

ive got a blank canvas here to play with

and what is a good amount of carp per acre to stock ?

beacuse like you say, i realy dont want to over stock it

Beacause of the limited budget im on, im only going to be stocking it with fish 5lb max..... this is a long term investment :)

i definatly need some proffesional help, which is on its way, but in the mean time id like to hear other peoples views

do you think i should stock carp only? or introduce other species

ive got a blank canvas here to play with

and what is a good amount of carp per acre to stock ?

beacuse like you say, i realy dont want to over stock it

It really depends on what the lake can support per acre. Say 800lb per acre then you are looking at 160 5lb carp or a mix of species to that 800lb. In a perfect world I wouldn't like to see a carp only fishery, you will likely need some predators, one species only and you are likely to get potential for spawning and overstocking in the future, so a balance of species, carp, roach, bream (!), tench and perch.

The fewer carp (and other species) you do stock, then the more the potential for growth. So if that water can support 800lb of fish, and you only stock it with 500lb of fish, then you give 300lb of growth over those fish.

On top of that the predators in the perch (and/or pike) will do you a favour in cleaning up dead, dying and sickly fish.