Approaching a New Water

salokcinnodrog

Ok, I like the Difficult water threads, but it seems, unfortunately, in many cases, to be a lack of experience.

Picture this then: A 2 acre lake which you can only view when you get to fish it. You don't have any idea of features other than what you can see on the surface; a few lily beds, overhanging trees, and an island. You don't really know what bait works best (but you can have a clue in that there is a Bait firm nearby :wink: ), baiting is restricted to PVA Bags and Stringers, so many of the firing in loose feed options are out. The lake is fairly pressured with a fairly high number of competent anglers.

Imagine you are fishing for the first time after only seeing the lake once before when you had a walk around and there were NO anglers fishing due to a Close Season. On this first session there are a couple of anglers on the lake, but you won't disturb them as they appear to be asleep.

What would your approach be?

By the way there is a clue on the forum somewhere, although I'm not telling yet

i would use a stalking aproach, find the carp or at least signs of them close in and try to get a bait in the right spot, where they will feel confident and maybe use a natural bait like lobworm

Oh sorry, forgot to mention, fishing only from the platforms provided, so that pretty much cuts stalking out :!:

NICE Q

Only had a quick think - wife nagging you know ...!

do the norm – look for signs of fish etc – all depends on weather – take it, isn't hot and they are not on the surface.

Using 3 rods: -

1.Margin - PVA bag with pellets, single bottom boilie on 10” soft braid – running rig. (maybe bait from local company :wink::wink: ).

2.Put one on a method feeder near island maybe

3.Wagler by the lilies with maggots or worms (or slug lol)

oh i dont know - could sit on here for hours now. :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

o o o i know - get a speaker playing des o conner and throw it in the pool :twisted::twisted::twisted:

NICE Q

Only had a quick think - wife nagging you know ...!

do the norm – look for signs of fish etc – all depends on weather – take it, isn't hot and they are not on the surface.

Using 3 rods: -

1.Margin - PVA bag with pellets, single bottom boilie on 10” soft braid – running rig. (maybe bait from local company :wink::wink: ).

2.Put one on a method feeder near island maybe

3.Wagler by the lilies with maggots or worms (or slug lol)

oh i dont know - could sit on here for hours now. :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

o o o i know - get a speaker playing des o conner and throw it in the pool :twisted::twisted::twisted:

2 Rod limit! :wink::lol:

nick nick nick - if your gonna ask a question get it right first time lol :twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ok take rods 2 and 3 and change between if not catching on the other and leave rod 1 in the pool ??? :lol::lol:

You should know I'm wicked :wink::twisted:

I'll be nice for a change though, a list of the actual fishing rules:

An angler can only occupy 1 swim at any time (so no wandering off round with a floater rod, and leaving the other rods on the bank)

Swimming and wading is forbidden

3 rods can be used on Main Lake only, but 2 rods only on smaller lakes

No Nuts

In the smaller lake free baits can only be put in by use of PVA

You don't have any idea of features other than what you can see on the surface; a few lily beds, overhanging trees, and an island

Does this mean you cannot find the features underwater, bars etc ?

You can't see the other features, not that you can't find them. You can't get down every week or day to have a look and keep in touch

Question then nick are these smaller lakes, fished in matches then?

Not Match lakes :wink:

An angler can only occupy 1 swim at any time (so no wandering off round with a floater rod, and leaving the other rods on the bank)

no stalking - can we go to another pool then :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol:

I would get my phone out and log onto carp.com and ask nick what to do :twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol::lol:

no stalking - can we go to another pool then :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol:

I would get my phone out and log onto carp.com and ask nick what to do :twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just make sure you read the small print on any forms you fill in :twisted:

place a pair of ear muffs on each angler as you wind in each rod to see what bait and methods they are using, before casting them back to there original positions and setting the indicators accordingly :lol:

Or keep the earmuffs on the anglers and when the alarm sounds land the fish and take photos on there camera pulling cheesey grin ?

I'd say get onto a good food source bait, and pre-bait as much as you can.

The bag of pellet trap may have blown, the fish could be used to it, so try something different, the Method, or groundbait (a 15kg bag of Vitalin will cost you about £10 from an Animal feed stores, plenty enough for a weekend or longer), beds of boilies, or pellets or loads of particles. It may even be that if everyone is fishing with Hi-Attract Hi-Visibility single pop-ups the carp are avoiding them as well.

Also come the weekend the lake is likely to have everyone and his dog all fishing the same, everyone casting out with bags of pellets, throwing in a mix of boilies. The carp have a choice; to mooch around just taking the baits that they want and able to feed carefully around the hookbait, or hide in the quietest area of the lake. Get there as early as you can and maybe try a single boilie with no freebies around it. If you have been able to pre-bait with a good bait then that single boilie may well work. Or if you can't arrive early then fish as quietly as you can and make as little disturbance as you can when casting in.

Keep your rigs simple, a basic rig in the right place is going to work rather than the most advanced super duper rig in the wrong place. Your rigs when fishing need to be tangle free, coated braids or mono hooklink can be cast in with single hookbaits or pva set-ups with little worry about tangling.

The best tool you have for fishing is not super shiny gear, and up to date tackle, or even the most advanced rig, but the Mark1 eyeball.

Spend as much time as you can watching the water, looking for fish and fish signs, and find out as much about it as you possibly can. The features, gravel bars, islands, silt patches all are attractive features to carp, but they don't feed on all of them.

Don't automatically assume that you have to be sitting behind 2 or 3 rods on your buzzer bars. If you can see the fish in the margins then they can be stalked, you can put in a little bait to get their interest, be that pellets, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, peperami. Maybe even use sweetcorn or the other baits when you do fish on the buzzers.

In UK "Carp Fishing Stickies" section is a fairly useful surface fishing thread that may give you extra ideas.

sorry nick :lol::lol:

I'd say get onto a good food source bait, and pre-bait as much as you can.

The bag of pellet trap may have blown, the fish could be used to it, so try something different, the Method, or groundbait (a 15kg bag of Vitalin will cost you about £10 from an Animal feed stores, plenty enough for a weekend or longer), beds of boilies, or pellets or loads of particles. It may even be that if everyone is fishing with Hi-Attract Hi-Visibility single pop-ups the carp are avoiding them as well.

Also come the weekend the lake is likely to have everyone and his dog all fishing the same, everyone casting out with bags of pellets, throwing in a mix of boilies. The carp have a choice; to mooch around just taking the baits that they want and able to feed carefully around the hookbait, or hide in the quietest area of the lake. Get there as early as you can and maybe try a single boilie with no freebies around it. If you have been able to pre-bait with a good bait then that single boilie may well work. Or if you can't arrive early then fish as quietly as you can and make as little disturbance as you can when casting in.

Keep your rigs simple, a basic rig in the right place is going to work rather than the most advanced super duper rig in the wrong place. Your rigs when fishing need to be tangle free, coated braids or mono hooklink can be cast in with single hookbaits or pva set-ups with little worry about tangling.

The best tool you have for fishing is not super shiny gear, and up to date tackle, or even the most advanced rig, but the Mark1 eyeball.

Spend as much time as you can watching the water, looking for fish and fish signs, and find out as much about it as you possibly can. The features, gravel bars, islands, silt patches all are attractive features to carp, but they don't feed on all of them.

Don't automatically assume that you have to be sitting behind 2 or 3 rods on your buzzer bars. If you can see the fish in the margins then they can be stalked, you can put in a little bait to get their interest, be that pellets, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, peperami. Maybe even use sweetcorn or the other baits when you do fish on the buzzers.

In UK "Carp Fishing Stickies" section is a fairly useful surface fishing thread that may give you extra ideas.

sorry nick :lol::lol:

Cheeky :P:roll::lol::lol:

Apart from not going near the island (heavily pressured lake, obvious feature that "everyone" fishes) you aren't that far out with your original post :wink:

The question is designed to try to get people to think their way into a water :wink:

polaroids on, up a tree and watch. wait for patrol routes to become apparent and drop walnut sized bags of your bait as "chops" along the path......probably wouldnt fish in earnest for the first day or two, would be busy doing above and also working around with a grubber lead for signs of bloodworm beds etc and general topography.....then be setting about freelining for those cruisers if possible.....if not, then margin traps on slack lines and no alarms at the point they first call back into the "margin"

Would also make myself busy having a look whats living in the bushes and banks too, to give yourself an Idea of what naturals are falling in around your margin spots and will therefore be readily taken

Im aware this may sound like a long drawn out effort just to wet a line...............but in general I tend to be fishing 24 hrs ahead of myself sometimes more (unless stalking)

polaroids on, up a tree and watch. wait for patrol routes to become apparent and drop walnut sized bags of your bait as "chops" along the path......probably wouldnt fish in earnest for the first day or two, would be busy doing above and also working around with a grubber lead for signs of bloodworm beds etc and general topography.....then be setting about freelining for those cruisers if possible.....if not, then margin traps on slack lines and no alarms at the point they first call back into the "margin"

Would also make myself busy having a look whats living in the bushes and banks too, to give yourself an Idea of what naturals are falling in around your margin spots and will therefore be readily taken

Im aware this may sound like a long drawn out effort just to wet a line...............but in general I tend to be fishing 24 hrs ahead of myself sometimes more (unless stalking)

great answer Goblin - kind of an extended version of my quote "look for signs of fish etc" lol :roll::roll::wink::wink:

but i have a good idea to add to yours, take kid brother or similar with you - send them out to do that while you kick back with a good book and a beer/cuppa :twisted::twisted::twisted:8)8)8)