Straightening a stiff hook link ?

mattgroves

I tend to use either a coated barid hooklink (with an inch or so stripped back before the hook) or a shorter stiff link (flourocarbon).

The coated braid can be straightened by rubbing it through my fingers a few times (I am assuming the heat this adds, when combined with pulling it tight, removes the natural curve/spiral).

How do I do the same with a flourocarbon?

thanks all, will give it a try.

I prefer to prepare rigs at home as I make fewer mistakes in the warmth/comfort of home sitting at the kitchen table :wink:

The lighting is better too!

Sensible idea, and I do the same, however as I use Combi rigs with a loop I still want the Amnesia Boom straight and loop perfectly formed when fishing, I do make sure I can straighten them on the bank.

I rub some heat into the Amnesia, either through my fingers or up and down the trouser legs, then get a Solar Bead thing, (that you use to put the beads on tubing), and push that through the loop, get forceps or grips on the hook and then straighten the hooklink with gradual increase of tension, NO jerky movements. It also means that I'm additional testing my knots as well :wink:

thanks all, tied some up last night, did the following and can confirm it works:

• Tied rig.
    Submerged in freshly boiled water for a few seconds.
    Pulled tight and mounted (with a decent amount of tension) on a rig board.

I experimented with a few methods but the above worked best...