PVA Rigs

chriswillman

Hey guys, i'm a fairly new member (so hello to everyone!) and have posted a quick thread on where to fish but have a quick question on pva set ups....

Since coming back from a 6-7 year absence of "blanking and all around failing" I've recently done 2 trips with mixed success. One thing I have noticed was when I was putting pva rigs on (something i've not used before) that the bag didn't completely disolve. When i bagged up some pellet or crushed boilie i added a wee bit of molasses but when winding in later found that I still had a 'sticky residue' where the bag originally was. Not sure if this is a common problem when using additives + pva or if i'm doing something wrong/the pva bags aren't great?

Any advice here would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

I generally use the korda mesh Boilie or long chuck stick pva stuff, always pulled onto the hooklink with the hook pushed ito the mesh and no where near the knot. However never had a problem of finding pva still on the line etc even when having almost immediate takes. Sounds like cheap PVA to me mate try something new and do some bucket tests on the bank always a good way to be sure :wink:

Pretty sure the bags were JRC, tied off with Korda tape or ESP PVA string with the bag down the hooklink and then hooked out of it. Was going to use the bags mostly although I have Korda mesh as I bought quite a few of them. Seems like they weren't worth it so guess it's over to the mesh for me then!

Really appreciate all the feedback though guys

Pretty sure the bags were JRC, tied off with Korda tape or ESP PVA string with the bag down the hooklink and then hooked out of it. Was going to use the bags mostly although I have Korda mesh as I bought quite a few of them. Seems like they weren't worth it so guess it's over to the mesh for me then!

Really appreciate all the feedback though guys

The big "bundle" of PVA splodge where it is all tied up can take a lot longer to dissolve than the main bag. Knots also take a lot longer.

I very rarely use PVA Tape or string to tie a bag off, I put hook and hooklink inside, kept from tangling by the Pellets/boilie crumb etc, then the lead, top it off with more filler, twist the top shut and then get a wet finger and totally slide and twist. I know that I will get a Splurge where it takes longer to dissolve, but I have checked the dissolve of the bags previously, and know that the main bag has dissolved.

Mo's Co do 'lick and stick' bags which don't need any string or tape to make them. Just lick the bag and stick them together. I use these for most of my bags lately, they are much quicker to make than tying the top of bags and you don't have any bulky PVA knots taking ages to dissolve.

I think your problem might lie with the molasses and the length of time your particles were in the bag/mesh before being used allowing the molasses to be absorbed by the pva. Also oil based paritcles seriously affect the melt time sometimes for the pva not to melt at all, unless it states that it is pva friendly.

A few years ago i pre tied some in mesh with pellets the night before thinking i'd get ahead of the game, and as always i tested one when i got to the bank, 35 mins later it started to break down, turns out it was the oil in the pellet being absorbed into the pva over time causing the problem. So i had to make them as i needed them and they broke down almost straight away.

Mo's Co do 'lick and stick' bags which don't need any string or tape to make them. Just lick the bag and stick them together. I use these for most of my bags lately, they are much quicker to make than tying the top of bags and you don't have any bulky PVA knots taking ages to dissolve.

Not forgetting that with Mo's Co (in my view the BEST PVA supplies), if you spend over £10 (before carriage) you get a free goody from him. :wink: I've always received a small packet of Long Distance Lick and Stick Bags. These are perfect for up to 4x 18mm Boilies or a small amount of crumb.

Tucker,

You say about Oil based ingredients slowing down the dissolve time of PVA, even dropping the Bags in High Oil pellets can slow the dissolve time down to the eventuality of not dissolving at all :!:

cheers guys.

Never heard of Mo's - just had a look on the website, think a couple of purchases may be in order ...! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks again

Mate, As I say the best PVA going :wink:

I regularly order from his shop (even if I do take the E-bay link I've saved in favourites :wink::lol: ).

Whenever I buy anything I forward a copy of the PayPal receipt and just check and confirm the delivery. I even get an e-mail confirmation (often personalised rather than the "mass produced" sale) back as well. Always spot on, arrives when he says.

cheers guys.

Never heard of Mo's - just had a look on the website, think a couple of purchases may be in order ...! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks again

I regularly order from his shop (even if I do take the E-bay link I've saved in favourites :wink::lol: ).

Whenever I buy anything I forward a copy of the PayPal receipt and just check and confirm the delivery. I even get an e-mail confirmation (often personalised rather than the "mass produced" sale) back as well. Always spot on, arrives when he says.

well i will take your word for it and give it a go, if i ever get back on the bank :?:?:?

cheers

cheers guys.

thanks again

well i will take your word for it and give it a go, if i ever get back on the bank :?:?:?

cheers

It works out cheaper if you buy the 100 bag packs as well, its a bit more of an initial outlay but cheaper in the long run. My orders are usually for 200 bags and the last order I think I had 30 bags free.