Swim feeder

bigsteve

Any tips ,guys & gals to using a swim feeder. I used one the weekend for the first time , fishing for carp. The venue has lots of bait restrictions and end tackle rule's too, so no method feeders, but will allow open end feeders as long as no ground bait is used. I went with a hemp/corn/soaked pellets mix in the feeder. I had the feeder threaded direct onto the main line with and bead to a swivel , then 5in hook lenght. Every time I reeled in the hook lenght was wrapped around the feeder. Even tried a anti tangle tube on the end of the hook lenght but still no joy. We still caught on the day but wasn't confident on the rig at the end of the day. Any help pleeeeeeese

Im certainly no expert in feeder fishing, Your not allowed to use method feeders but you can also have the same effect ( ie your bait is close to the feeder ) by tying some pva through one of the holes in your swimfeeder to the curve of your hook, this will only work though if your feeder mix is not to wet, if you need a wet mix try using flavored oil boosters rather than water to mix your feeder mix up with. Like i said im no expert but i have caught fish on this, not many but i have caught.

Oneway to fish a feeder is to use it as a heli rig useing a korda anti tanglehooklink sleeve to helppush it away from the line and feeder, also usefull for useing on a normalrunning rig set up, just push it over the swivel(hooklink end) andit will again push the hooklink away from the feeder :wink:

I always stick me hook in to the bottom of the feeder, same sort of effect as tying it to the feeder with pva.

Carefull of your casting as well, smooth casting is always the best.

Feeder fishing is always going to tangle you up a bit more than set ups for carp fishing, it's just not pretty. You could also try an inline feeder!

Had a blinding session the other week, doing a bit of bream bashin. after 2 slow hours It started speeding up and was literally a fish a chuck.

It was on a Matt Hayes programme that he used a feeder with great success on the Monument. It seemed he used it like a lead on a lead clip arrangement with anti tangle tubing behind the tail rubber.

It seemed to work for him Steve but im not sure of the safety aspect of the feeder having to release in case of a line breakage.

It was on a Matt Hayes programme that he used a feeder with great success on the Monument. It seemed he used it like a lead on a lead clip arrangement with anti tangle tubing behind the tail rubber.

It seemed to work for him Steve but im not sure of the safety aspect of the feeder having to release in case of a line breakage.

He also uses it set up as a heli rig :wink:

Guest andypalf

I've done a fair bit of feeder fishing and find the best way to avoid tangles is to use feeder booms of about 3 inches. And set it up as a running rigs to a bead and swivel as you've got. This then allows you to change hooklinks (mine become kinked quite often so it's nice to change to new ones every once and a while). This should also give you as good bite indication as you can get.

Guest andypalf

Steve that's exactly as I fish a feeder. You do get the odd tangle but I just get on with it quite well. I've tried a few different methods but now just use that one.

Find what works well for you. Just make sure it's a safe set up. I've seen plenty of feeder set ups with all sorts of loops and stop knots....which would leave a hooked fish tethered to a feeder. And I've seen this in the mags, so just try keep it safe.

Instead of a feeder, could you not use a PVA bag? :?

That would be my suggestion. I'd ditch the feeder and have a PVA bag that dissolves away leaving a pile of bait rather than having a feeder spooking the fish away. You shouldn't get any tangles with a PVA bag. The only downside is PVA bags can be more expensive if you don't lose many feeders.