Choddy rig also Q on leads.

welshcarp1985

While your both on this thread and seem like great anglers, i have brought up the crimping thread, could you both have a look at my question and see if you can help please,

Thank you for the complement,

But I am just an average angler too, and I have never used crimps on Mono, and always use a loop to swivel, Ask Tony as I know he uses the 'Chod' regularly, so is more experienced in this area, whereas I am not.

Ok thanks for the many great replys and it has pointed me in the general direction of what i should do tactically :D

As for the lake being hard fished, i have not been there for a yr now but when i did because the small size of the lake as described and the 20-30lbs that are in there i would say there are approx 6-10 carp max as the lake is mainly fished HARD for cattys in the summer. Largest 69lb catty out of there.

So just to confirm being its small, would the ideal setup be choddy with 1oz lead with pop up that will hld the rig up (test in margin). Then lightly sprinkle with chopped boileies>

Then maybe one rig as an inline shoka style (yes korda influenced :oops: ) with 1oz lead a stik mix and being its close lightly sprinkle boilies.

I put the weight of the leads in as due to me being new i dont know how rigs act underwater t dofferent surfaces, or if heavier leads are meant for different setups so can someone confirm this please.

Much appreciated

Tony.bi wouldn't know i use amnesia in 15lb and size 6 stiff rigger or fox ssc. i had a dabble with the bristle, but didn't get on to well. 3 bits of pop up corn with a piece of cork between each piece is good. this was my first experiment as it was a runs water and didnt respond that well to boilies. ive never tried tiger nuts yet, but should imagine its the same principle as the corn. i used to drill my pop ups 3 quarters the way through and plugged with cork. this made them a bit more buoyent. untill havin a blonde moment and learning that boiling paste and wrapping it around a cork ball is the same thing.

It immediately makes the fish suspicious of the pop up boilie, so much so that they will ignore it.

Sorry guys, I have been following the thread with interest.

Tony, can you substantiate your statement above, or is it just your opinion?

Many thanks,

S

Its my opinion Steve based on experiences and observations, albeit limited. Obviously im not saying its right, but i have far more confidence in my approach by fishing pop ups (if the fishing situation warrants it) without the use of an added PVA stick, and my results prove that.

The reason being, a stick is supposed to add attraction to a hookbait. The contents of the stick mix will be hard on the deck of the lake, yet the pop should be wafting above it. To me thats unnatural and defeats the object of using the stick in the first place. Why attract the fish to the bottom of the lake to feed, then put it on guard by using a bait off it? To me it doesnt add up. Like i said, im confident in my approach that i can get more takes when using pop ups without the stick, than when using one.

On the flipside, im also unsure of the presentation side of things. I dont want to risk my critically balanced pop up being snarled up in weed or bottom detrius when the stick takes it down to the lake bed cos the damn thing may get caught up and not sit like its supposed to do.

Thank heavens for dissolving foam, that stuff is a godsend :lol::wink:

Obviously other people may think different, so it would be good to hear their views 8)

Its my opinion Steve based on experiences and observations, albeit limited. Obviously im not saying its right, but i have far more confidence in my approach by fishing pop ups (if the fishing situation warrants it) without the use of an added PVA stick, and my results prove that.

The reason being, a stick is supposed to add attraction to a hookbait. The contents of the stick mix will be hard on the deck of the lake, yet the pop should be wafting above it. To me thats unnatural and defeats the object of using the stick in the first place. Why attract the fish to the bottom of the lake to feed, then put it on guard by using a bait off it? To me it doesnt add up. Like i said, im confident in my approach that i can get more takes when using pop ups without the stick, than when using one.

On the flipside, im also unsure of the presentation side of things. I dont want to risk my critically balanced pop up being snarled up in weed or bottom detrius when the stick takes it down to the lake bed cos the damn thing may get caught up and not sit like its supposed to do.

Thank heavens for dissolving foam, that stuff is a godsend :lol::wink:

Obviously other people may think different, so it would be good to hear their views 8)

Thanks a for a great explanation Tony. I wasn't trying to stir things up, it's just that I have been thinking a lot about carp behaviour, and I am interested in any views or experiences.

Thanks again Tony,

S