Choddy rig also Q on leads.

welshcarp1985

Hi there new to angling and the fishery that i joined has several small ponds. The one that i am targeting holds carp from 20-30lb and also cattys it is small in size approx 100yds in length and about 30yds wide and is approx 6ft deep with a silt bottom

I am looking at using the choddy rig and maybe an inline setup of some sort.The two questions i have are:

1. My thought being new to fishing is the stik mix,stringers and pva bags etc are meant to give a tight carpet of bait around your hook, so i know you can use it with inline setups but will it still work the same with a choddy rig being the swivel is free to go up-down the leader and im fishing a pop-up? :oops: Im fearing that the pva of some sort may hinder or tangle the setup :oops:

2. Being the pond is small in size i can place baits accurately as i can cast underhand to any location(walking to desired location if need be). What weight leads would be best to use? Lightest 1oz for both choddy and inline (bolt setup also) or go upto a 1 1/2 -2 oz lead to ensure the lead is heavy enough to hook the fish. Im mainly worried that the heavier leads may sink into silt to much yet the lighter leads may not be heavy enough self hook the fish etc.

Please give me your thought and advice. Or possible alternatives.

Thanks.

Hi Welshcarp,

I know its a small lake but is it heavily fished?

Well i wouldnt say really heavily especially for carp anyway as the max at anyone time is 9 ppl on there and they mainly fish for the cattys.

Why do you think that i should not use the chody rig being im new?

Also anyone got any advice on the weight size?

1. My thought being new to fishing is the stik mix,stringers and pva bags etc are meant to give a tight carpet of bait around your hook, so i know you can use it with inline setups but will it still work the same with a choddy rig being the swivel is free to go up-down the leader and im fishing a pop-up? :oops: Im fearing that the pva of some sort may hinder or tangle the setup :oops:

Did or did i not answer this question in this thread?.....

Stik Mix

Did or did i not answer this question in this thread?.....

Well yes and no. You said "you dont need to use a stick mix on these anyway" which to me dont actually dont say wether it is a good idea or not to use a stik mix. All i am looking for is to keep a tight carpet of bait around my hookling, being new to fishing i did not know if it was possible with this setup thus me askign the question. Being me having to spring baits in via spod or catapault.

If you want to fish the chod rig, the ONLY way to fish it is by using pop ups and baiting with a scattering of boilies over a wide-ish area. You MUST make the fish pick a bait up, move off and look for another. Think about it..... You are using a pop up which on a chod hooklink could be between 2 or 3" off the deck, but you have a small tight pile of groundbait, chopped boilie and pellet on the lake bed.

How unnatural does that look?

It immediately makes the fish suspicious of the pop up boilie, so much so that they will ignore it. Its the same principal of anglers using a stick mix or PVA bag on a normal pendant or inline lead set up, but then deciding to fish over the top of it with a pop up, i really dont think the tactic works.

Some people say it does and they have caught by doing so, but i think the pop up is taken long after the stick mix has either dissolved and dispersed around the swim, or the groundbait has been eaten. If they had just used a pop up on its own without the stick mix, im certain they would have had the take and caught the fish much sooner.

Do you understand what im saying?

Thanks for that well explained reply, i know exactly what you mean but would not of thought of it that way, but now explained i totally understand.

Hopefully although not on the same subject, being you know the fishery is small and im talking a POND size, where from the website and people i spoke to the pond is 6ft deep max and contains silt bed. Im fishing it this wkend fri-sun and would you say i should go down drop one 2 in margins and fish one out in open as there is no island at all, a few lilles though. Or get a marker float and get depths and try to feel the bottom, and also use the cotton tactic to see how deep the silt is?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Gareth

Thanks for that well explained reply, i know exactly what you mean but would not of thought of it that way, but now explained i totally understand.

Hopefully although not on the same subject, being you know the fishery is small and im talking a POND size, where from the website and people i spoke to the pond is 6ft deep max and contains silt bed. Im fishing it this wkend fri-sun and would you say i should go down drop one 2 in margins and fish one out in open as there is no island at all, a few lilles though. Or get a marker float and get depths and try to feel the bottom, and also use the cotton tactic to see how deep the silt is?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Gareth

if you dont want to use boilies on the chod you can use pop up corn or tiger nut. the enterprise ones should be buoyent enough if not use a piece of matching foam as well.

Hi Welshcarp,

Well i wouldnt say really heavily especially for carp anyway as the max at anyone time is 9 ppl on there and they mainly fish for the cattys.

why i was asking is that the lake seems small to hold quality fish like that in and if they are fished for heavily then the choddy is not going to work as it looks unnatural,

If it was me and it was my first trip to this lake then i would go with a in-line setup with a pop up, camo everything up, use light bobbins and slack line with back leads.

Just the way i would fish it, people might have a different opinion buddy

Good luck,

Hi Welshcarp,

why i was asking is that the lake seems small to hold quality fish like that in and if they are fished for heavily then the choddy is not going to work as it looks unnatural,

If it was me and it was my first trip to this lake then i would go with a in-line setup with a pop up, camo everything up, use light bobbins and slack line with back leads.

Good luck,

Good points,

However it has been stated that its a weedy water so what is the advantage of a backlead,as this could cause more problems? A weed rake would be the way to go for me, and bait up the clear area for a few days then fish it.

Hi Welshcarp,

Good luck,

Good points,

However it has been stated that its a weedy water so what is the advantage of a backlead,as this could cause more problems? A weed rake would be the way to go for me, and bait up the clear area for a few days then fish it.

I thought that he said that it was a silty bottom so backleads would be fine, great point about the weed rake, if that is the case i would do that when there is no-one else around.

bissami sorry,

Wrong thread :oops: Having said that a running rig fished slack line will be more sensitive without back leads due to the change in angles, and I agree with Josh 100%

noknot i forgive you!!!!!! :D

I just feel more confident with a light back lead on as you dont tend to get line curls. Just my own personal choice, but like i said i am nothing more than an average angler!!!

if you dont want to use boilies on the chod you can use pop up corn or tiger nut. the enterprise ones should be buoyent enough if not use a piece of matching foam as well.

One question?

Have you ever used a chod rig? You may find that a small piece of plastic and a bit of foam is not bouyant enough to hold up a size 5 Stiff Rigger and a Bristle Filament hooklink..... FACT!

Not even most shop bought pop ups can do this. The only ones that are bouyant enough are the Richworth Airo and the Nutrabaits Alternative Hookbaits. Believe me ive wasted enough money to find this fact out the hard way. Why do you think that i now make my own pop ups at home, tailored to my own exact requirements :wink:

Try very light bobbins, they will keep your line strait without lifting the line off the bottom or pullin it tight :wink:

Is this pearl of wisdom aimed at me noknot?

Not at all the post ^^^^^^ by bissami, And tell me if I am wrong Tony.

bissami sorry,

Wrong thread :oops: Having said that a running rig fished slack line will be more sensitive without back leads due to the change in angles, and I agree with Josh 100%

noknot i forgive you!!!!!! :D

I just feel more confident with a light back lead on as you dont tend to get line curls. Just my own personal choice, but like i said i am nothing more than an average angler!!!

Here Tony OK now?

Try very light bobbins, they will keep your line strait without lifting the line off the bottom or pullin it tight :wink:

Is this pearl of wisdom aimed at me noknot?

Not at all the post ^^^^^^ by bissami, And tell me if I am wrong Tony.

Gotcha (crossed wires there fella on my part :oops: )..... yes that is correct. I agree with what you say there 8)

Thats great noknot thanks,

will give it a go, still think it was for Tony though :wink::wink::wink::wink:

Thats why i got on the offensive.

Cos when i use a choody rig, im using the lightest lead i can get away with just to get the required distance, my lines are slack and the bobbins are hard on the deck :wink:

Thats great noknot thanks,

will give it a go, still think it was for Tony though :wink::wink::wink::wink:

Thats why i got on the offensive.

Cos when i use a choody rig, im using the lightest lead i can get away with just to get the required distance, my lines are slack and the bobbins are hard on the deck :wink:

Got ya!!! :P