stalk or buzzers

carpking4

I've spent the last week and half/2 weeks stalking, hooked and lost one, landed one, now on the waters"s" that im currently fishing i personally think its hooked and lost one and one landed more than i would if i was sat behind stactic baits :wink:

You resorted to a set of trebles on a stalking rod then bri? Yeah i'm sure it's a pain as you're more likely to lose it when they're hooked in the tail :lol::lol::lol:

Well done on the landed fish though, any size?

You cant beat taking a minimal amount of tackle and one rod and trying to touch up on your "hunting" instinct and catch a carp whilst stalking. I think catching a stalked carp, whatever it size, will always be more satisfying than catching a fish whilst you are static, under your brolly or in your bivvy and behind a battery of rods.

i also think it comes down to how well you know the carps behavior

Not sitting behind your buzzers and getting up and motivated, will only help you improve your knowledge of the fish's behavior pattern's :wink:

just because i sit behind buzzers doesn't mean im not watching the water. stalking is a last minute of desperation to catch, thats the way i look at it. its not hard to find a carp in a margin as its their safety area and will very rarely feed on their own accord. unless we put bait there, they will occasionally eat insects off the bank, but other than that?. if they feel like chilling out in the margin then ill let them im just not contrubuting to more angling pressure. everyone to their own and i guess that was what fishing was back in the day. :D i would like to say by that i mean a margin is anything that you can see your bait and the carp clearly.

Depends what the margin is, a patrol route or chill out spot. i have yes but it doesn't happen on hard gravel bottoms or chill out spots. a margin to me is anything from a few inches to 2 foot max. anything else tends to be a marginal shelf that carp will patrol or as you say grub up. it all comes down to angler ethics and morales, as my angler experience has built my ethics has changed. i also dont surface fish, i believe the carp need somwhere to rest, this makes them easier to catch in the long run as they are less cagey. one of my mates was fishing lenwade a few years back when the beachcaster started to get about. the bloke in question was lifting it above the smaller fish and dropping it in front of the bigger carp. some would call it good angling i call it something else..... :wink:

one of my mates was fishing lenwade a few years back when the beachcaster started to get about. the bloke in question was lifting it above the smaller fish and dropping it in front of the bigger carp. some would call it good angling i call it something else..... :wink:

If you want to target the bigger fish, i'd call it very good angling.

Exactly the ethics are different. even i have target fish but will accept what ever comes my way. my mate uses the beachcaster method to good results he knows i hate him using it but hey. the bit i dislike is the heavy lead and massive pike float banging into the carp whilst playing them.

stalking is a last minute of desperation to catch, thats the way i look at it. its not hard to find a carp in a margin as its their safety area and will very rarely feed on their own accord. unless we put bait there, they will occasionally eat insects off the bank, but other than that?. if they feel like chilling out in the margin then ill let them im just not contrubuting to more angling pressure. everyone to their own and i guess that was what fishing was back in the day. :D i would like to say by that i mean a margin is anything that you can see your bait and the carp clearly.

To me this post strikes me that you are a somewhat, dare i say it..... lazy angler. Yes i agree that sometimes i like to just go out fishing, throw out my 3 rods on buzzers and put the brolly up and just relax. But sometimes i like to just take out 1 rod, go for a few hours and try and catch a carp and get a bend in my rod. No disrespect to your good self Dale, but to me it seems you are more interested in looking the part on the bank set up in your bivvy, behind your rods with the mountain of gear a carp angler needs to carry around with him, than actually trying to catch a carp that you can actually see feeding inches from the bank. Cos if i saw carp swimming and feeding over any margin then im afraid i would be on them like a shot. I dont need to be asked twice cos it would be like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

But on the flipside i think whatever form of carp angling you like, be it stalking or behind buzzers, it all depends on the travel time and mileage to your lake. My syndicate is a hour away, about 35 miles give or take from my place. Now in this day and age where i seem to be counting every penny that comes into my household, i cant afford to travel to my syndicate just to stalk a carp for a few hours. So that means when i fish my syndicate, im going for 2 nights minimum, even an overnighter is at a push. Any less than that then i cant justify the cost in petrol.

I really cant believe what i've read in this thread it has to be the most stupid i've read since using carp.com. Stalking a desparate way to catch fish are you having a laugh mate. The margins the carp's chill out area, for god's sake the margins are the main feature of any lake and the PRIME feeding spot on most lakes all of the time not just when we put a bit of bait in them. As for saying we put extra pressure on them by trying to catch them out of the margins how can that be, i would think 3 bow tight lines going out in to the lake is far more likely to spook them and pressure them out of an area than a carefully placed margin bait. As Tony has said it really looks as if you are a lazy angler who just likes to look good. Stalking is proper fishing where it is you against the fish trying to outwit them on a one to one basis not camping where you sit behind 3 rods trying to bore the carp into making a mistake.

A bit harsh, isn't it?

Actually I am going stalking sometimes when I am too lazy to take and carry all the gear for a "standard" session. I consider stalking much easier (better said lighter) type of angling compared to classical approach.

I am quite stunned by the response from some carpers on here :shock: .

Quite frankly I have seen more life in a tramps vest than in some of you.

How can you not want to use one of the best tools in a carper armory :?

I think some of you should start knitting instead of fishing. :wink:

A bit harsh, isn't it?

Actually I am going stalking sometimes when I am too lazy to take and carry all the gear for a "standard" session. I consider stalking much easier (better said lighter) type of angling compared to classical approach.

thats what i was thinking!? if i was lazy then i wouldn't make the two walking trips that take me over a hour. i would just take one rod then it would only take me 15minutes. clearly the points have been taking the wrong way, some dont fish snags for exactly the same reason. its blatenly obvious when a carp is chilling out and not feeding.

I think it is best to have an open mind and not to go fishing with preconceived ideas, only when you arrive at the water and assess the conditions, should you then make a calculated decision (watercraft) on what is in front off you and the best methods to use in that situation at that given time :idea:

What I would expect from a forum members that they will ask more questions before naming someone lazy.

I give example: my typical session is about 5 days long, sometimes it takes hours to sneak through dense forest with all the gear plus boat etc. Then the hard carping follows, there are sessions when you don't sleep 2 days because of series of catches, working through river chubs and when I finally sit behind buzzers I enjoy life and I wonder if anyone could say it is lazy angling.

Another thing is if someone simply decides to sit behind buzzers 50 yards from a car park because he worked so hard the day before and he enjoys existence under blue sky. Who can claim he is wrong?

It is only his/her decision what to do on the bank.

It is worth to say that stalking is full of adrenaline, requires quite some knowledge and ability to sneak to water; and can produce the catch of the lifetime.

Who asked Dale about his reality and motives? And if he is really lazy so what? If it is his choice, so let's be it. You may have your own opinion about it, you may describe the beauty and efficiency of your different approach, but I prefer to read posts showing respect to styles and viewpoints of fellow carp anglers.

I think it is best to have an open mind and not to go fishing with preconceived ideas, only when you arrive at the water and assess the conditions, should you then make a calculated decision (watercraft) on what is in front off you and the best methods to use in that situation at that given time :idea:
i couldn't agree more, but what i will say is. if you have a target water that you plan to fish for a while, then you will go with preconceived ideas. you will know the feeding spots and will be piling in the bait in to build confidence. if your only visiting a water for a day or two then its a completely different story and you need to keep on your toes. see what im saying? just because i sit behind buzzers doesnt mean i dont move a lot. :D