line aligner or shrink tubing

welshcarp1985

Hi all,

Im pretty new to fishing and been browsing the forum for a while now using the search function to search for information needed which i find most helpfull, so thank you for that.

Now im a little confused on the differences and mainly the main advantages or disadvantages of line aligners and shrink tubing. I know how and why people use the line aligner to aid it hooking (flipping over) But what im confused on is why some people instead use shrink tubing over the eye of the hook.

So in short are they the same think or are they different, in my thinking that the shrink tubing on the knot/hook eye is to neaten and possibly aid in camo.

Please let me know

Tight Lines

added a pic below. (bottom one normal is aligner)

zoomcornrigs.jpg

the rig is pulled through the shrink tubing to make the line aligner, some people use a baiting needle or a needle.

some people just put the shrink on the hook to extend the shank or as welshcarp said to cover the k/knot

Hope this helps.

just a case of which way you prefer really, i use the line aligner myself, i've never been happy having my hooklink anywhere near a steaming kettle :wink:

Very true indeed!

One way around this, is to tie up a "Patten or " "Former" rig, heat the shrink the tube under heat, and then with the correct angle place into cold water, then this can be used on a new rig many times :wink:

Shrink tubing over the eye of the hook also aids in protecting the knot from incurring any damage from . :wink:

Really?

Personally i dont buy your viewpoint at all, but each to his own.

I tend to agree with Tony on this one, as the rig will already be in the carps mouth, so how can this contribute to abrasion resulting in hook snap offs? :?

Regarding the Line aligner vs Shrink Tubing vs Knotless Knot:

By adding a length of shrink tubing almost any pattern of hook can be improved by lengthening the shank.

A standard piece of Shrink tubing straight over the eye, or Knotless knot does not always cause the hook to flip in and hook properly, IT DOES depend on the pattern of the hook in some cases (or in my opinion it does :wink: ), hence the preference for a line aligner by some.

Who says you need to use a Kettle to get your Shrink tubing right? Use a Hair dryer then when in shape drop in COLD water to hold the shape :wink:

Saying that I've never found a braided hooklink to get damaged over the spout of the kettle as it boils

Shrink tubing over the eye of the hook also aids in protecting the knot from incurring any damage from .

Really?

Personally i dont buy your viewpoint at all, but each to his own.

I tend to agree with Tony on this one, as the rig will already be in the carps mouth, so how can this contribute to abrasion resulting in hook snap offs? :?

Please ignore my comment, I appoligise, I was pretty tired when writing that (no sleep due to the heat the night before :oops: ). What I meant to say, and clearly my tiredness got the better of me, is that shrink tubing over the eye of the hook can also add a bit of security to your knots. Again, all I can do is appoligise for any misguidings I may have caused.

Who says you need to use a Kettle to get your Shrink tubing right? Use a Hair dryer then when in shape drop in COLD water to hold the shape :wink:

You dont tend to find to many mains hook ups on the bank though :lol::lol::lol:

Saying that I've never found a braided hooklink to get damaged over the spout of the kettle as it boils

I like useing the kettle for shrink tube, esp when useing coated braids, never had a problem as long as you take care, and it also give's you the chance to run the coated braid through the steam aswell, which when held under tension it will cool prefectly straight, ensureing that rig will fall away from our lead :wink:

You dont tend to find to many mains hook ups on the bank though :lol::lol::lol:

I like useing the kettle for shrink tube, esp when useing coated braids, never had a problem as long as you take care, and it also give's you the chance to run the coated braid through the steam aswell, which when held under tension it will cool prefectly straight, ensureing that rig will fall away from our lead :wink:

You know my rig tubs, full of rigs tied at home :wink:

I very rarely tie a rig on the bank.

It is not just Shrink Tube either that can be used to "lengthen" the shank, certain silicon or other tubing can be used for the same effect, and also reduces to a certain extent that knot movement that WickieShaun was talking about.