beachcaster carp rig..am i setting it up right? help!

handav

i have recently tried using the beachcaster rig for carp on the surface, i cant seem to get the hooklink iver the knots without the float being in the way.

my rig is as follows lead with swivel, rubber bead, large 7 inch inline polystyrene float, swivel with hooklink attached stop knot 1 leg trimmed off remainding leg facing away from lead and second stop knot remainding leg facing the lead.

i cast high onto the air but the hooklink is staying with the float and the float is pushing the 1st stop knot up the line (the stop knot line is about 18lb). should the float go over the knot? and if so how does it end back down the line leaving my hooklink with the knot.

i have read one link on here but it hasn't given me the info nor a big enough diagram to see what is going on, please help these carp are laughing at me...and the other fishermen!

How far is your stopknot away from your lead? I've not fished with one but from what ive seen they have it a good 20ft away in about 5ft of water. Then on the cast your hooklink should in theroy slide over the knot and i would imagine the float stays below the knot and cocks on and angle when you tighten upto it. Is there a special way to cast? I would of thought a low punch may make it slide up better, i dont know though. Sorry i cant help you more.

i have got the knot probabily about that far up the line but i beleive the lake is the deepest in the northwest so i dont know if it needs to be double or even treble the figure of 20ft, i read somewhere if you cast high the forces cause the hooklink to pass the 1st knot and get caught by the second but something is obviously going wrong some where...along the line! ha ha ...line well i thought it was funny. hm.

The way i have always set it up, is to have the the stop knot twice the depth of the water you are fishing away from the lead.

I.E the spot you are fishing is 4 feet deep so the stop knot needs to be 8 feet from the lead.

Also i always find that the closer you can get the rod to verticle the better the rig works.

thanks gidney boy i think i may have had the knots to close in judging by what yourself and paulmlpss have told me,

i dont supose you know if the float is or isn't supposed to be able to pass the knot and then come back past it when the lead is on the bottom leaving the hooklink with the first knot, do you?

really i need to see what is happening with the rig when casting in a step by step diagram or tutorial, i just can't find anything on the net only really basic or tiny diagrams. anyone know of a link that would be great the more the better :!:

one thing i have always used is the end of a washing up bottle (old style bottle) with the smaller hole made bigger.

I put it before the hook line with the big end facing the lead. It catches the wind when you cast and pushes it over the knot.

Ill see if i can find any diagrams pics etc.

thanks much appreciated :D yeah i read somthing similar but with a film cannister, i think the bottle idea would be better because it will catch more air and be lighter, why exactly do you make the hole bigger is it so it passes that first knot and also does it stay past the first knot when setup :?:

im sorry to say

but i dont agree with this method at all !

Fair enough it will put fish on the the matt BUT !

years ago on a local water

a couple of lads were fishing this method

all well and good

till a family of swans dropped in through their lines !!!

as usual a lot of swearing and tangled line went down

JMHO Earl

how about a suspender rig instead :wink:

hmm you have to be pretty unlucky to have that happen sounds like it would have been amusing to watch though..hope the swans were alright, suspender rig sounds kinky lol do you mean zig? i still want to know how to set and use the beachcaster rig though as there are no swans at my local lake

thanks much appreciated :D yeah i read somthing similar but with a film cannister, i think the bottle idea would be better because it will catch more air and be lighter, why exactly do you make the hole bigger is it so it passes that first knot and also does it stay past the first knot when setup :?:

yeh so it can go over the first knot, it has stayed when i used it as the larger end catches on the tage end left on the stop knot.

ah i see thanks for that,

i went this morning and i had tinkered the rig so that the first stop knot was of a lighter lb so the float could pass and go back over it leaving the hooklink in the right palce, and the second a heavier lb so as to stop the float passing it,

it worked somtimes but not others but guess what, i hooked a monster of a carp, the thing was that big i though i was snagged on the bottom! it pulled my beachcasting rest over and my rod nearly went in, i could feel it flapping it's tail, the biggest iv caught is about 15lbs, judging by the feel of this thing it was over 20! maybee 25lb needles to say my 12lb line snapped i wasn't quick enough with the drag ...oh well there's always tomorrow mwhahaha, fishy fishy fish, oh that was with dog biscuit btw

i will try the bottle jobby should work a treat for now i got talking to a guy who uses the beach caster, he uses float stops unstead of stop knots sounds like a good rig if the water your fishing isn't hugely deep otherwise you will have problems casting the thing out :P:lol::D

i try to help handav :wink:

i find that power gum is the best thing for stop knots

ive used it on pike rigs ,sea fishing rigs etc always leave long tails on knot so it passes through the rod eyes easy and always wet the line before sliding as the friction causes heat and can weaken the line

(wetting mono stop knots doesnt help it still heats up :shock: i read this somwhere many moons ago !!! :shock::lol::lol: )

cheers Earl

i have found there are many different ways of setting up the beachcaster rig but the one i have been using is as follows in order of end of main line,

high velocity/distace lead of 2-3 oz heavier and more line out the bigger the lead, in my case 15lb line.

rubber shock bead

large inline float, in my case a 7 inch polystyrene sea fishing float

a lid off a 2ltr bottle of milk with a hole of about 7mm in the centre with mainline running throgh it

a hooklink about 12 inch long attached to mainline by a size 2 swivel

1st stop knot atleast double the depth of the water away from the lead

2nd stop knot about 15 inch from that.