shock leader length for marker rods

rocky2397

Hi, help needed. I am setting up a marker rod and putting a shock leader on but i am not sure on wot length to use, i have got some E.S.P Tapered Shock Leaders, 15lb to 45lb, 13 metre long. Do i use the full length or cut them down and if so which end do i cut off, cheers for any advice..... :?

Usually with a shock leader you will need at least 2 rod lengths.

I only use a shock leader for sea fishing, so I cant help with tapered leaders. However, I use a 13ft rod for sea fishing. I use 26 feet of leader, 13ft for the length of the rod, 6ft drop, and 7ft on the spool.

You want it longer than the deepest water you fish or will fish.

This is because the knot can prevent your float from popping up, it shouldn't do this often especially with a massive running ring on teh lead setup but it can happen.

Really you want a braid shock leader and braid mainline, mono (even tho it is what im currently using) has too much stretch and you can only feel the most obvious of features.

I must admit that I use a Leader on my Marker rod through to braid, although I can't use Tapered leaders (even Sea Fishing).

I use Amnesia or Greased weasel for Leaders, and use a length long enough so that I have 4 or 5 turns on the reel when I have my casting drop.

Couple of reasons for it: I still mistime the occasional cast and I would much rather not lose a finger on braid.

I like the ease that a Run ring slides on the leader over the "stickiness" on braid, which can occasionally twist and hold the ring in place.

I haven't found any loss in feel using a leader for such a short length

Thanks for the replies, the reason for useing a shock leader is like SALOKCINNODROG says i too am fedup at loosing end tackle, (one day when i learn how to cast correctly i will take the shock leader back off :lol: ).

I still occasionally lose tackle :roll::?

Even with a leader! I lost (eventually getting back) a lead, float and leader on a snag that had been "dropped" into the lake this winter.

I'm more concerned about my fingers with the leader than losing tackle. A mistimed braid cast can cut to the bone, and I suppose because of the lack of stretch it may also mean a mistimed or off cast can crack-off.

Might also be easier for you if you just type in Nick, instead of SALOKCINNODROG :wink:

Thanks for the replies, the reason for useing a shock leader is like SALOKCINNODROG says i too am fedup at loosing end tackle, (one day when i learn how to cast correctly i will take the shock leader back off :lol: ).

I've never lost any tackle using a commercial brand of marker braid straight through. Adding a leader is more likely to cause losses as you'll then have a weak point i.e. the knot!

I use one of those safezone leaders with a quick link on my setup. I found with braid straight through that the braid would wrap around the run ring trapping the float. This was increased when fishing weedey waters, as most of the lakes I have fished in the last few years are.

The safezone leader slips nicely through the run ring every time with the right choice of float for the job.

I lose hardly any sensitivity when feeling the lead (tested on a range of known features) as compared to lead straight through. Certainly nowhere near as much when using a full mono shockleader.

There is still only one knot - I use the loop to loop and cover with shrink tube to tidy it up - as the lead clips on.

I've never lost any tackle using a commercial brand of marker braid straight through. Adding a leader is more likely to cause losses as you'll then have a weak point i.e. the knot!

thats what i do- 30lb whiplash braid straight through and never had a problem with it :wink: ! i used to have 20lb braid with a leader and the knot kept catching and snapping the whole set-up off :evil: !

Was the other way around for me, I lost more because I wasn't using a Leader :wink:

Give it a real whack and because of no stretch and a crack-off I would end up having to re-tackle.

3 or 4oz leads on a 30lb braid is not good, you actually need close to 60lb strength with a 3oz lead to reduce the crack-offs, whereas with an Amnesia or Greased Weasel leader I can keep at the 30/40lb (10lb per ounce of lead).

As for the knot catching, tie a good knot, and position it at the back of the spool and you shouldn't have problems with it.

The knot I use is to tie an overhand knot in the leader, don't pull it tight, thread the braid through the loop in line with the tag end, then Uni knot the braid down the leader, lubricate and pull tight. Never had one give way unless I have hit a snag, or been cut off.

The cut-offs I have had have actually cut the braid rather than the leader as well :!:

That's strange Nick. I can honestly say I've never cracked off casting a marker float (or a spod come to that).

Some days my timing is just plain awful :oops:

Give me a windy day, usually a headwind, and I have no end of problems. I either mistime it or force it extra hard and lose gear. That happens when I'm Sea Fishing as well.

Either that or you are a gentle gentleman caster and I'm just plain brute force and ignorant :wink::lol::twisted: