How to tie a fluorocarbon leader?

daleg2008

bit of a newbish question, but how would you tie a fluoro carbon leader set up properly? since not using leaders i see them as all dangerous! i have no idea why, but i just think its because the mainline is always going to snap first, or do i buy spool of x-line and fish straight through? im not rich so i only want to use 300 meters on each of my 2 reels. someone told me to white tape on the spool as backing, but how do you know when you are off 300 meters of filling the spool? in other words how can i spool both with 300 meters accuretly? thanks dale

bit of a newbish question, but how would you tie a fluoro carbon leader set up properly? since not using leaders i see them as all dangerous! i have no idea why, but i just think its because the mainline is always going to snap first, or do i buy spool of x-line and fish straight through? im not rich so i only want to use 300 meters on each of my 2 reels. someone told me to white tape on the spool as backing, but how do you know when you are off 300 meters of filling the spool? in other words how can i spool both with 300 meters accuretly? thanks dale

I am currently using Adrena Line 12lb rated. Its actual BS is listed as 13.4lb.

This is marked by Korda at 250, 500 and 750 mtrs so you can put 250 mtrs on each of three spools and have 250 left for a spare spool.

I currently use Stroft leader at 4.2 kilos which makes it about 9.25 lb BS actual being just under 11lb BS so if I break off the theory is that it will be at the leader or the knot to the swivel. (I only have 1 direct swivel between reel and bait and the lead weight and all its attachments are free running)

Someone may say that I have got it wrong but I am happy with the performance I achieve and have only been broken off by a fish once in the last 3 of 4 years and that was down to the fish ramming me into a snag and leaving me hooked up on it. I tie on via loop to swivel rather than Palomar, though Palomar knot is recommended. It is just my preferred way.

At the end of the day, it`s about having confidence in your reel to bait set up.

I am probably going to cause some controversy and debate here now as I do not use any drop back indicators. Why? Because the line is free to run and because the lead is stationary whichever way the fish runs it will take line thus activating the alarm.

Do you have a spare spool for each of your reels?
yeah i have shimano super ultegra in the larger spool version. they come with 3 spools so i have 2 spare.

Load up your 300m of Xline on a spool then attach a cheep mono line as a backing and wind that on until the spool is full.

Next, take the spool off, put on an empty spool and fill from the preloaded one you just removed - this should leave you with a fill to the brim reel with exactly 300m of Xline and the remainder in a non expensive backing.

yeah i have shimano super ultegra in the larger spool version. they come with 3 spools so i have 2 spare.

Load up your 300m of Xline on a spool then attach a cheep mono line as a backing and wind that on until the spool is full.

Next, take the spool off, put on an empty spool and fill from the preloaded one you just removed - this should leave you with a fill to the brim reel with exactly 300m of Xline and the remainder in a non expensive backing.

Back to his original question.

How does he know he is loading 300 mtrs in the first instance?

By simply counting the turns of his handle :wink:

By simply counting the turns of his handle :wink:

Roughly :wink:

The lower the level on the spool, then the less will go on per turn of the rotor, as it fills it will be more per turn.

There are also some Line Counters available that fit to the butt of the rod and measure the line as you retrieve.

I'm not one for wasting money on line as I have Big Pit's, but I do have a backing line on each reel, and know that a new spool of 0.35mm line now fills the spool to the brim of each.

just make sure you have enough to cast far with and enough to play a hard fighting fish, how much line do your spools hold?

Far better to have more line than you need, if you have a fish that really takes off on the run, and is still taking line against you playing it, then you may be in serious trouble.

Say for example that you are casting to 150 metres (figure plucked from the air, not factual), and you get a fish that rips line off another 50metres, great in theory you would only need 200 metres of line, then take that to you get a bit of line twist, or a bit of line gets fragged against a snag, so you cast that 150 metres, the fish rips off another 50, and you on landing it have to cut away say 20metres of line so that it is still safe, you now only have 180 metres of line.

Put on more than you need, have the spools just overfilled.

I'd far rather have a Fluoro Mainline than attach a Fluoro Leader, to be honest. I have used P-line Floroclear, and it is good stuff, not a true Fluoro, but a Mono with a Fluoro coating. (I have reviewed it on here, so a search may be worth while). With the cost of P-line at the moment I think that it is comparable to many of the monos sold anyway

I don't like leaders unless I am going for the "big chuck". At any range above about 40metres the line I think is going to be running along the bottom to your lead anyway, even with a tight line (understand about the arc, pretty much like telegraph wires)

Hi Nick

It could be worked out fairly accurately using the mathematical calculation of Pi (3.14159)

This would involve finding out the circumferance of the spool by finding the diameter at the half full stage then multiplying by 3,14159 which would give you the exact length of one turn of line onto the spool. You then calculate how many turns of the handle are required to add a further 150 mtrs and Roberts your

Mums brother. Simple eh? :D:D

Re Fluro mainline. Doesn`t it stretch too much leaving you without a direct reel to fish feel on both strike and play. It seemed to do when I once tried it.

Hi Nick

It could be worked out fairly accurately using the mathematical calculation of Pi (3.14159)

This would involve finding out the circumferance of the spool by finding the diameter at the half full stage then multiplying by 3,14159 which would give you the exact length of one turn of line onto the spool. You then calculate how many turns of the handle are required to add a further 150 mtrs and Roberts your

Re Fluro mainline. Doesn`t it stretch too much leaving you without a direct reel to fish feel on both strike and play. It seemed to do when I once tried it.

Fluoro mainlines actually stretch less than Mono. I think that the stretch in fluoro is between 10-15% as opposed to the 20% (ish) of mono, so it should actually feel more direct :wink:

Hi Nick

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

This is where a lot of us switch off :wink:

And you will sit there for hours and hours, even days, waiting for a run that may not happen and you cannot be bothered to do a 2 minute mathematical calculation. :D:D:D

Shame on you Tony:oops: :lol:

Hi Nick

Fluoro mainlines actually stretch less than Mono. I think that the stretch in fluoro is between 10-15% as opposed to the 20% (ish) of mono, so it should actually feel more direct :wink:

It didn`t seem to be the case for me. Mind you it was years ago and I tried a Fluorocrystal by Middy. Perhaps that stretched more than the current Flourocarbon ?

Hi Nick

And you will sit there for hours and hours, even days, waiting for a run that may not happen and you cannot be bothered to do a 2 minute mathematical calculation. :D:D:D

PMSL :lol::oops::wink:

Hi Nick

PMSL :lol::oops::wink:

I do NOT do Maths unless I specifically have to. I get lost with Pi, only do 3.142 :wink: , although I can add up my shopping as I go round Sainsburys without using a Calculator :wink: , and know exactly how much a round of drinks is before the till has worked it out :wink:

Now THAT little piece of information has caused a few Barman/BarMaids to have Heart Attacks and utter extremely quick apologies:twisted: 8)

I am currently using Adrena Line 12lb rated. Its actual BS is listed as 13.4lb.

This is marked by Korda at 250, 500 and 750 mtrs so you can put 250 mtrs on each of three spools and have 250 left for a spare spool.

I currently use Stroft leader at 4.2 kilos which makes it about 9.25 lb BS actual being just under 11lb BS so if I break off the theory is that it will be at the leader or the knot to the swivel. (I only have 1 direct swivel between reel and bait and the lead weight and all its attachments are free running)

Someone may say that I have got it wrong but I am happy with the performance I achieve and have only been broken off by a fish once in the last 3 of 4 years and that was down to the fish ramming me into a snag and leaving me hooked up on it. I tie on via loop to swivel rather than Palomar, though Palomar knot is recommended. It is just my preferred way.

At the end of the day, it`s about having confidence in your reel to bait set up.

I am probably going to cause some controversy and debate here now as I do not use any drop back indicators. Why? Because the line is free to run and because the lead is stationary whichever way the fish runs it will take line thus activating the alarm.

i also use adrinaline but this line breaks where it likes have done some good testing make sure if you use this line your hooklength is of a lower breaking strain. i love this line but for this fact.

3 tests on footy field breaked with 70 yards of line trailing 50 yards trailing and 50 yards trailing. it did not break at the knott once.

its worth testing your main line

• 2 weeks later...