Combi rig knot or ring?

daleg2008

Just noticed i have some snakeskin coated braid. when i bought it i was suffering from tangles and all sorts. anyway as i have improved my fishing i am tempted to use it again. i was thinking of a combi rig, but just the multi-strand for the hook end and fluoro carbon as a stiff boom. whats the best way of setting a combi up, a knot or a teflon rig ring? the multi strand has always facinated me, but im scared to use it. also is it the multi-strand or supersilk that can take the colour of the lake bed? thanks in advance

make sure that the length of braid is shorter than the length of the hook shank.

Keith

why's that Keith?

Im stumped as well. When i tie my own, true, combi rigs out of 2 different materials, the braided section can be as little as half an inch, upto two thirds of the entire length of the hooklink.

For e.g. If my hooklink is 9 inches, then the braided section will be 3 inches in length.

It works for me.

make sure that the length of braid is shorter than the length of the hook shank.

Keith

why's that Keith?

Im stumped as well. When i tie my own, true, combi rigs out of 2 different materials, the braided section can be as little as half an inch, upto two thirds of the entire length of the hooklink.

For e.g. If my hooklink is 9 inches, then the braided section will be 3 inches in length.

It works for me.

Two reasons that have been discovered after doing many many tests.

1. The shorter the length of braid the less prone to tangles.

2. The closer the actual "hinge" (ie the connection between braid and mono) to the hook the more of an angle the hook makes when it "drops" down into the carp's mouth. This angle is the edge for getting a good hook hold.

Well that might be worth a bit of experimenting but if you use such a short length of braid (considering some hooks have a short shank) IMO there isnt much room to actually tie the knot and get it tight.

I think it will be much easier just to use coated braid and carefully strip a 2mm section of outer material off, to get the 'hinge' effect, right near the eye of the hook.

But like i said, there is some experimenting to do there to compare results.

Well that might be worth a bit of experimenting but if you use such a short length of braid (considering some hooks have a short shank) IMO there isnt much room to actually tie the knot and get it tight.

I think it will be much easier just to use coated braid and carefully strip a 2mm section of outer material off, to get the 'hinge' effect, right near the eye of the hook.

But like i said, there is some experimenting to do there to compare results.

Hi Tony

The trick that I use is to tie the braid to the fluoro first and then tie the hook using a "snell" knot. If you start the snell knot with the fluor/braid knot against the eye of the hook when you finally pull it all tight you end up with a very short hinge. It has been nailing some very big carp for me already this season so it's well worth trying mate.

Keith

Ok ive just tried the snell knot (which is the same as a whipping knot on a choddy) on a combi rig and here is my effort.....

Picture.jpg

I cannot get the gap between the knot and the eye of the hook any smaller (in this case its 10mm) but the braided section definately isnt any longer than the shank of the hook (in this case a size 6 ESP Big T). But with a bit more practice i might be able to get it shorter if needs be.

This is interesting,

I use the mahin knot and a whiping knot on the hook (may well be called a snell?? its not the knotless knot anyway) and i have tied them with tiny hinges (3mm no joke) and others upto about 3 inches (i dont like that large of a gap).

I use E-S-P Sinklink and either Fox rigidy stiff link or seagaur fluro (for a softer option, but still stiffer than fox coretex which is my normal coated braid).

My prefered combi is aound 4 or 5 inches of the seaguar fluro with a fig of eight knot for attaching to a clip link and personaly i prefer around 1- 1.5 cm for the hinge, using a size 8 ssc hook.

It seems to work for me but i dont fish waters containing big fish and so i cant comment on how it will work on 20-30lbers :?

Ok ive just tried the snell knot (which is the same as a whipping knot on a choddy) on a combi rig and here is my effort.....

Picture.jpg

I cannot get the gap between the knot and the eye of the hook any smaller (in this case its 10mm) but the braided section definately isnt any longer than the shank of the hook (in this case a size 6 ESP Big T). But with a bit more practice i might be able to get it shorter if needs be.

That looks good Tony. If you hold the "stiff" section horizontally you will see what I mean about the way the hook drops on the hinge mate.

Keith

Its not that hard fella, a simple knotless knot on braid is simplicity in itself. I have never bought a ready made rig in my life and will never do so either.
I'm getting better at it, i'm trying to use 3 rigs for different situations. So far i have caught on 2 which are a basic boilie rig which is very simple. it can be used for bottom and pop up. the other one is a critically balanced rig, for this i have used a agressive hair(kd rig i suppose) so far i have used a size 6 hook which has enough weight to balance a single piece of fake corn. now looking into a 3rd rig, this is so i dont get confused with rigs and can concentrate on catching them.

Dont fall into the trap of thinking that you need loads of rigs. Stick to 2 or 3 which should cover all of your fishing situations and get your confidence in them and i guarantee that you can take them to any water knowing full well that you can and do catch on them.

That way you can save all the hard work for location and watercraft which is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more important.

Its not that hard fella, a simple knotless knot on braid is simplicity in itself. I have never bought a ready made rig in my life and will never do so either.

Same- i only trust my own knots and if something goes wrong i only have my self blame.

I love tying my own rigs anyway :)

I also tie the majority of mine on the bankside now. I will tie a couple up at home and put them in the wallet just to get me started when i first arrive at the venue, but if things change, or i need to adjust something, then out comes the materials and i can tie one there and then to suit the situation.

Its much better that way IMO.

I also tie the majority of mine on the bankside now. I will tie a couple up at home and put them in the wallet just to get me started when i first arrive at the venue, but if things change, or i need to adjust something, then out comes the materials and i can tie one there and then to suit the situation.

Its much better that way IMO.

I totally agree with you Tony, i think that doing this has put more fish on the bank for me as the hook is sharper than one thats been used. Plus- the rig is the perfect length for what i want to do that day and the materials are more easily matched to the lake bed :)

costs a bit more material wise but i think its worth it :)

Ive still got my tried and trusted rigs in my wallet- but i always check the hook point- if its not out the packet sharp- it doesnt get used.

I buy all mine now ready made as quote all mine i make are rubbish and a waste of time still dont go anyway , :roll::roll:

:shock::roll:

Practice makes perfect.

I would never buy a ready made rig. If a knot breaks who is to blame? Yet if it happens on a rig you have made yourself you know who is at fault.

It is not hard to tie a simple knotless knot to the hook, and a knot to the swivel. The knotless knot can be covered in Shrink or silicon tubing for a line aligner.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

I carry a ready selection of rigs I have tied myself, although admittedly my Combi rigs are 2/3 to 1/3. I don't tie on the bank, as I have spent many hours often watching the fish and know what I need to achieve, although I think with a running lead rig, length is not as important as it is with a Semi-Fixed/Bolt rig set-up

I'll have to have a play with your idea for Combi set-ups, although as mine are currently working it may take me a while