info needed on boilie sweetening

lynden259

not long started making my own boilies myself you can use a liquid sweetener most bait companies have them in their ranges mainline nash nutrabait to names a few whether its fruity flavour/sweetener chocolate etc all of which give guidelines on the bottles of how much to put in. Just remember to put it in your liquid section when you make them up (your eggs). Betaine if i'm right and i might not be is a feeding stimulant, someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

I would love to comment on this subject, OK I will then, My question is why not use a natural flavor that does not require a sweetener? The whole point of a sweetener is to "balance" the bitterness of an artificial flavor, This in effect, you will need to get the ml level of flavor, correct, and also the ml of sweeter correct to the ml of flavor ratio!

There are many natural flavors, oils and enhancers available at a far smaller price, that are just as efficient! And the best thing is, It will be your own!

However, I believe that a good base mix needs no flavor, and will last for years, as It will be seen as food by the Carp, rather than a bait to be wary of :idea:

Honey, Karo Corn Syrup, Maple Syrup, Molasses.

For solid ingredients you might try.

Ground dried fruit

Dried Molasses

Brown sugar (has a hint of that molasses flavor)

Cheap frosted breakfast cereal. (Frosted Shredded Wheat is nummy)

I'm experimenting with a Corn/Breakfast cereal and homemade Carmel right now. Waiting for warm enough weather to try it.

Put together your main mix, then split it 3,4,5 ways.

Try small batch's of several things. See what works best.

And of course, tell us about it. :)

Why use a sweeteneer at all?

A sweetener is basically used to mask the bitterness of many flavours, and that is to us who have taste on the tongue which identifies particular tastes as in sweet, sour, bitter, salt etc.

Carp don't have those Tastebuds, so recognise the Chemical taste of the actual sweetener, which may be sodium, something like sacharrin or hermasetas.

I know me personally I do not like foods that have been sweetened with those ingredients mentioned above, I'll stick to real sucrose, Sugar!

Even though many companies market sweeteners, not all are sweeteners as such, many are "Taste enhancers", which don't enhance the taste, but make a signal along the lines of "I enjoyed that, I want to eat some more". These may actually be Salt based ingredients, maybe along the lines of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG).

I know Nutrabaits sell a few ingredients in this vein, things like Creamy Super Sweet, Sweet Cajouser. I wouldn't exactly call them sweeteners, although some undoubtedly are, although they do provide a sweetish taste to us, but are powders are longer lasting than Liquid sweeteners

A sweetener is basically used to mask the bitterness of many flavours, and that is to us who have taste on the tongue which identifies particular tastes as in sweet, sour, bitter, salt etc.

Carp don't have those Tastebuds, so recognise the Chemical taste of the actual sweetener, which may be sodium, something like sacharrin or hermasetas.

I know me personally I do not like foods that have been sweetened with those ingredients mentioned above, I'll stick to real sucrose, Sugar!

Even though many companies market sweeteners, not all are sweeteners as such, many are "Taste enhancers", which don't enhance the taste, but make a signal along the lines of "I enjoyed that, I want to eat some more". These may actually be Salt based ingredients, maybe along the lines of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG).

I know Nutrabaits sell a few ingredients in this vein, things like Creamy Super Sweet, Sweet Cajouser. I wouldn't exactly call them sweeteners, although some undoubtedly are, although they do provide a sweetish taste to us, but are powders are longer lasting than Liquid sweeteners

You say carp dont have taste buds but then you say they recognise the chemical TASTE of the sweetners like sodium? Why would most bait comanys use sweetners in thier baits if the carp do not like them or cant taste them? You then go on to say you would prefer to use real sucrose, sugar? If a carp has no taste buts why would it eat your sugar and not sweetner? MSG is a flavour enhancer, yet carp cannot taste? :?

You say carp dont have taste buds but then you say they recognise the chemical TASTE of the sweetners like sodium? Why would most bait comanys use sweetners in thier baits if the carp do not like them or cant taste them? You then go on to say you would prefer to use real sucrose, sugar? If a carp has no taste buts why would it eat your sugar and not sweetner? MSG is a flavour enhancer, yet carp cannot taste? :?

Not sure if its worth replying as you haven't read it properly and decided on a silly rant :roll: , so I'll highlight the bit above, with bold print, and also point out that me, in my food including Tea and Coffee, don't like the physical taste of saccharin.

Chemoreception, a chemical trigger, not a taste, but being as we don't understand the word chemoreception properly the word "taste" is used which is strictly incorrect, but probably the easiest word to understand.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Chemoreception

edited for typo :oops:

Not sure if its worth replying as you haven't read it properly and decided on a silly rant :roll: , so I'll highlight the bit above, with bold print, and also point out that me, in my food including Tea and Coffee, don't like the physical taste of saccharin.

Chemoreception, a chemical trigger, not a taste, but being as we don't understand the word chemoreception properly the word "taste" is used which is strictly incorrect, but probably the easiest word to understand.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Chemoreception

edited for typo :oops:

Well put Nick and well controlled mate.

thanks for the info fellas, how i havent caused a row ,lol.

No you didn't :wink:

By the way, Betaine is not a sweetener, but related to an amino acid which makes it a "supposed" feeding trigger.

I think you are getting your Sweeteners mixed up with Taste Enhancers (which can be as simple as Sugar, Salt or even Vinegar), and Feeding Triggers. Some Salts, Sugars, Amino Acids etc provide the Feeding Triggers as well as being Taste Enhancers